Search results

1. P

Pricing for Used XTB

All, thanks in advance. Need some help pricing our XTB for sale. It's an '87 and is solid as a rock. Runs in the low 80's with a strong, never apart, '97 200hp 2.5 EFI.(15-18psi in all cylinders). Brucato cleaned and recalibrated injectors. Hasn't been used more than 10 hours in the last 3...
  2. P

New 3.4 Merc Lower Unit Question

Attended the NY Boat Show last week and spent time at the Mercury booth. It appears that the new 3.4L Seapro's are finally a little lighter(470lbs) and could possibly be a replacement for our aging 2.5EFI (405lbs.) The question of the day was about the standard lower unit vs. the TorqueMaster...
  3. P

Winter Engine Surprise?

While winterizing this this weekend, pulled the lower unit for storage and a new impeller in th spring. Found suspicious grey grease around the top of the shaft that usually suggests water and oil mix. I've never seen this - anyone? Strange place for this mix- blown seat gasket? Cracked spacer...
  4. P

Mercury 200hp 4 Cylinder Verado

Vacationing down in the Keys this week and have seen a few new Mercury 200hp Verado's. They are 4 cylinder machines and look small. According to the Mercury website, they are still 510lbs(heavy!) In case I have to retire my 1997 200 EFI ( old- but runs fine)- does anyone have any experience or...
  5. P

ECU Problems?

I got a problem with my 97 Merc 200 EFI. It starts and run up but has increasingly started to sputter out like it's only running on about 3-4 cylinders. It idles down but idles rough all the way back home. I have checked what I think are all the obvious items- injectors were cleaned by Bucato...
  6. P

Locking Gas Cap

I know I've seen a discussion about locking gas caps here but nothing turns up in a search. Considering adding a locking gas cap to my '87 XTB. Has anyone done this? thnx
  7. P

New Motor 2.5L vs 3.0L

Depending how badly the IRA beats me up this year, I am considering replacing my '97 2.5L 200 with a new motor for my '87 XTB. I've seen the back and forth here on 3.0L motors on A-boats. It looks like Mercury only makes 3L motors now in the 200+ range short of Verados. I welcome any advise...
  8. P

Wood Transom?

I seem to remember a discussion (or two) on the subject of aluminum vs wood in Allison transoms but can't seem to find info. via a Search. How can I confirm whether or not my '87 XTB has a wood transom or not? Thanks in advance, Pacman
  9. P

NGK Spark Plugs

Had a "wait a minute" moment when uncovering the XTB this week. I usually replace the plugs every spring but I bought the motor used and assumed they were the right plugs. The 1997 2.5L 200 EFi came with NGK BUHW plugs. The NGK websight doesn't list back that far. Any suggestions on how to...
  10. P

Replacement Reeds

My '97 Merc EFI has slowly developed a fuel leak under the front manifold. No sign of it while running but at shutdown, I can see a drip that stops in a minute or so. I am assuming I will pull the front end this spring and replace all gaskets. While I there, I was thinking of replacing the 14 yr...
  11. P

Water Pressure Alarm

My 97 200EFI started setting off what I assume is the water pressure alarm just before pulling it out for the winter. A series of continuous short beeps starts almost the minute the engine fires and won't quite. Water seems to be coming out all the right places in all the right quantities. I...
  12. P

Oil Spill Update

FYI- Finally found the source of my own, personal oil spill over the 4th. I noticed some oil dripping out from lower edge of the lower cowl halves on my '97 200EFI end of last season. It has turned into a flood this season but I couldn't find the leak until yesterday. Apparently the top engine...
  13. P

You Gotta Get one of these!

Came across this "vehicle" - thought this group might like the videos. Very cool design and I could swear that's my XTB hull underneath. Enjoy - Pacman http://www.iconaircraft.com/
  14. P

Now that's fast on the water.....

No Allisons, No boats,.... but fast. Enjoy.
  15. P

Livorsi Replacement Antenna

I had seen some discussion on the GPS Speedo antenna battery replacement issue here a few weeks ago but can't seem to find the thread now. FYI- My Livorsi analog Speedo died mid-summer also. I got a hold of Tim in the Livorsi Tech Support who confirmed the existence of a soldered-in battery...
  16. P

Advise Needed on XTB Hull Pad

I took a look at the pad on my '87 XTB before putting it in the Lake for the season this week-end. I remember a lot of discussion here about the shape and condition of this critical area. Well, mine looks like "crap" and just maybe, this could be some of my handling issues when "upstairs", as...
  17. P

A Little Light Patent Reading.....

Thought I'd do a quick search on the patent number on my XTB hull. I downloaded about a 10 pager & drawings of the original '86 patent grant to Darris Allison. Pretty interesting but heavy on the legal-ese. There are about 7 other patents for Darris also. If you're interested, go to...
  18. P

Fireside Viewing

I haven't convince S&F to start a magazine yet but in case you guys aren't YouTube.com regulars, you may find the posted boat racing videos fun. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=boat+racing&search=Search If this address doesn't get you there, just go to youtube.com and do a...
  19. P

Fireside Reading

It's gonna be a long winter and I wanted to know if anyone can reco. of any boating magazines that appeal to us performance outboarders. I've had a subscription to PowerBoat for about 22 years and I like getting it, but it really has totally turned to specialize in 50' inboard offshore boats for...
  20. P

Rebuilt 3.0 Powerhead Needed

Not sure how he managed this one but a neighbor claims to have "gotten bad gas"(pronounced "H20") and trashed his 3.0L 2000 225hp Merc. The thing was seized and a tear down showed rusted crank/rod bearings and it looks like the crank is trashed. Anyone have a good reco. for one of these rebuilt...