New Motor 2.5L vs 3.0L

pacman809

Depending how badly the IRA beats me up this year, I am considering replacing my '97 2.5L 200 with a new motor for my '87 XTB. I've seen the back and forth here on 3.0L motors on A-boats. It looks like Mercury only makes 3L motors now in the 200+ range short of Verados.
I welcome any advise from the experts. Pacman

nickens21

I have help set up 2 xtb's with 250xs on them. Come in to a 6''plate. Move all batteries in front of gas tank. Run a foil and skid planer. 25lbs shot under front deck. That's about all we did.

GotMyAlly

Depends on what you use it for. For warranty and reliability on a fishing boat, I'd go with a new opti. Hard to beat the turn-key ease of use of these motors. I don't want to have to tinker with a rebuilt old race motor on my fishin' boat. But if you just want to haul arse, no doubt stick a 2.5 260/280 on it for safety's sake.

Darth VMAX

True merc only makes 3.0L but its not so much the displacement but the weight issue for the "big-blocks".

Weights:

3.0L Opti = 505 lbs
3.4L ETEC HO = 507 lbs
4.2L Vmax SHO 4-stroke = 505 lbs

Per displacement Mercury's are actually the heaviest of the bunch. But with that, they will all react the same on your XTB when talking weight issues.

RedAllison

pacman how strong is your old 200? If it was bonestock then I'd seriously consider a new 175XS with a Sportmaster. (A good dealer WONT let that stand in the way of your warranty! :wink ) I bet there will be VERY LITTLE if any difference between those 2 motors! Efficiency wise ANY of the XS motors big or small block are just "scratch your head" efficient! You'll think it's not oiling itself because they use so little oil. They hardly make any noise when idling as well.

Darth VMAX

If you are open to any brand. This is what I would like for my XB2002, would work real good on a XTB-21 or XB2003

2012 Yamaha 175 HPDI (Dyno'd @ 248 hp)

(selling for customer)
Yamaha Factory Warranty
Phase III 70hp kit
Light Weight Flywheel
Velocity Stacks
Only 8 hours

$11,500.00 Does not include shipping, controls, or rigging labor

http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/images/175_hpdi.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Hensley

Traded messages back and forth on this recently with Kurt R. I was looking at putting 250 Pro XS on an XB 2003 I just bought. AT 505 lbs it is 130 pounds heavier than 280 15". If you look at total weight then you have to add 30 lbs or so back to the 280 for the external pumps. So about 100 lbs. Now if you look at most 2003's they are set up with 12"-13" plates. I have not calculated the moment but I am guessing if you went to a 9" plate you would cut the weight difference the transom sees significantly. That leaves less weight disadvantage to the 3.0 liter. Would your set up be different? I am sure it would. Will the transom hold up? I have no doubts there. The economy of the high pressure motor would be a huge selling point. Running the boat loaded with two people should not slow it down as much as a 280 I would think. My problem is the rev limiter. I am not fond of the 32-34" pitch props it would take to run good mph. Seems like it would be worth a try.

fnshrmaster

Even the 175 XS would be a nice setup Dave. It wouldn't be what your used to, but would still be a perfect fishing rig that would sip fuel.

Dave Hensley

Even the 175 XS would be a nice setup Dave. It wouldn't be what your used to, but would still be a perfect fishing rig that would sip fuel.
I am sure it would be KR, but the XB 2003 needs to be able to cruise at 100 with two people in it with ease. I know of a red one that will with little effort.

Darth VMAX

How many rpm will the modded Yammi turn? Does it have solid mounts and low water pick ups?
The stock limiter on the HPDI's are 6150. I am pretty sure that the limiter hasn't been touched on this one. Yes, this has solid mounts and no, the lower unit is stock water intakes and a 1.86:1 ratio (its on a Champion Bass Boat). It could easily be coned or Hydro-Tec can mount a 3.3L HPDI lower-on it with the LWP, stock yammie built in torque tab and a 1.75:1 ratio (which IMO would work better with the lower RPM's)

This is my dream Yammie for my XB2002 and at that killer price (trust me, there is a LOT more $$$ in it) I was highly considering it. But, unfortunately my extra cash may be going for something needed and not wanted :*(

This Yammie would completely DESTROY a 175 proxs and most likely a 200 proxs as well.

Last edited:

xb03fs

I would really like to find a gen 2 200ros....

Darth VMAX

The gen 2 200xs ROS in my opinion is the ultimate green Performance outboard for the XB2002. Too bad NOBODY ever did an evaluation article on this.