Water Pressure Alarm

pacman809

My 97 200EFI started setting off what I assume is the water pressure alarm just before pulling it out for the winter. A series of continuous short beeps starts almost the minute the engine fires and won't quite. Water seems to be coming out all the right places in all the right quantities. I pulled the thermostats and hoses and they all look clear. The engine runs normally and the temp seems fine- the gauge never reads over 125˚ which is typical. The water pressure gauge is almost buried though and I suspect a blockage. I plan to start with the infamous poppet valve in the spring but any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Baffled.

zatchmo

I didn't think those had water pressure alarms on them? Are you sure it isn't an oil alarm, or water in fuel alarm?

white03

I thought the water alarm was a constant horn sound, the beeping horn is temperature...I think. Someone here will know for sure. May be a bad sensor if it starts as soon as you start the motor

Last edited:

Bobalouie

I thought that the continuous horn ment that "immediate" engine damage will result if you dont stop and correct the problem, and that an intermittant horn meant that the problem will not result in "immediate" damage but needs to be fixed.

pacman809

Re: Water Pressure Alarm: Take 2

Had a new thought: Could this be a blown head gasket? I could dismiss this as a bad sensor but the water pressure gauge is vibrating almost a the 25-30lbs point anytime the engine is running. Will check this out in the spring unless there's a better idea. Thanks.

hchi

If the oil injection is still hooked up, check the reservoir under the cowling. The short beep will indicate low oil. Continuous beep is overheating. Good luck!

Volatile

Pull the water sep. wire off the bottom to check the sensor.
You may have:
Water in your fuel
Low oil in you oil reservoir tank. Check your oil level
Non working oil pump. That sender will go off if the pump stops rotating.

Your fuel pressure should be 37-39psi unless you pump is bad or a filter is plugged after the pump OR you have an injector wide open OR you have a bad regulator. Running low fuel pressure will result in major motor failure.

boatboy0000

steady beep indicates hot contition, Intermitten beep is oil injection problem or water in fuel. There is no water pressure alarm.... My concern is the high reading on the water pressure gauge,check the poppet groumet and make sure it is flush in the block, if not install a new one and ping around it to tighen the fit....I highly suggest removing the oil injection and mix the oil myself on a 14yr. old motor...I hope this helps, Scott

Volatile

Water pressure that high at ANY point such as idle also shows that your thermos are either not opening or the blockage is before them . Depends on where your gauge sender is at. Are you sure your gauge has not been damaged by ice and is starting out at ZERO ? That would be really high for low rpm or idle psi.

tomoad

Volatile, if someone had a 2.5 200 with a 2 pc plate and running above 7500 rpms, you stated to have the top part(of the block) plugged off and run the hose from the poppit out the back like a hi po motor (Nic motor). what exactly does this do? I have a modded 200 promax from JSRE and all stock plumbing and have turn it up to 8000 rpms, but i didnt notice any heat problems from it, but also be in mind i didnt running 2 miles either down the lake, probably 1/2 mile, will it cool better. I did change the way the water exits from the t stats tho, i ran single lines from both t stats the dump, instead of the starboard over to the port and then dump. This summer my motor did run a little warm 160 degrees and i also changed the water impeller, but didnt help much, but it mostly was running warmer because air temp was 90+ and water temp the same. my motor also has wizzard forged pistons..