Advise Needed on XTB Hull Pad

pacman809

I took a look at the pad on my '87 XTB before putting it in the Lake for the season this week-end. I remember a lot of discussion here about the shape and condition of this critical area. Well, mine looks like "crap" and just maybe, this could be some of my handling issues when "upstairs", as Dickie O'Day used to say. It looks like there was damage at some point and someone attempted a fiberglass patch job. The result is the the pad curves up about a 1/4" in the last 2" and the corners on either side have been rounded off. Having the only Ally I know of, I don't have any frame of reference. Questions:1)What should this pad look like? Perfectly horizontal in all directions? 2)I remember reading something here about a "Lip"- what is it and would this help? 3) What should be used to do the repair? FG? MarineTex? etc? - Photos of a "normal" pad would be great!
Thanks in advance for any help-

K.Kiser

If Your pad is as described, the boat and You are fighting a battle that can't be won... Very much of the "magic" of an Allison is in the damaged that You described and until it is restored to a quite certain geometry then It's never gonna act right... The "lip" will extend forward of the trailing edge about 3/8" and it extends left and right until about 1" from the outer edges of the pad, but the lip is at it's greatest size in the center and diminishes as it extends outward... Also there should be no "rounded" edges on the rear of the hull when the repair is complete, the edge needs to be relative sharp so the water flow will break cleanly from the rear of the hull, and You strakes edges need to be very straight and also relatively sharp to the feel... This link will give You most of the "lip" illistration that will be needed, anything past this example will fall under the fine tuning of You particular hull and set-up...

You may not need this much lip in .000", but essentially this is the "footprint" that You lip will need.... Thanks to PROPMANJAY for taking the time to get a complete and accurate illustration of this area...

http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=6274&highlight=ss2000&page=6

Last edited:

mignumspeed

what increments are those lines that are drawn on the pad made in 1/2" ----1" or do you happen to know?thanks
'