Oil Spill Update

pacman809

FYI- Finally found the source of my own, personal oil spill over the 4th. I noticed some oil dripping out from lower edge of the lower cowl halves on my '97 200EFI end of last season. It has turned into a flood this season but I couldn't find the leak until yesterday. Apparently the top engine mount oil reservoir cap had split off. Looking at it, you couldn't tell. Idling cold did not generate enough pressure to open it up but at speed, it just poured out and down the front crank half. Two years ago the top of the in-boat tank reservoir cap sheared off. OK- maybe I'm over torquing everything but thought I'd share this little bit of learning.

Westy

That oil cap is an issue with the motor mounted tanks. I used to carry a spare in my boat when I had my Astro with the XRI on it. 86 the oil injection and that problem goes away.

Westy

J

John Richied

That oil cap is an issue with the motor mounted tanks. I used to carry a spare in my boat when I had my Astro with the XRI on it. 86 the oil injection and that problem goes away.

Westy
This was true on the Promax engines too