Fireside Reading

pacman809

It's gonna be a long winter and I wanted to know if anyone can reco. of any boating magazines that appeal to us performance outboarders. I've had a subscription to PowerBoat for about 22 years and I like getting it, but it really has totally turned to specialize in 50' inboard offshore boats for the rich and famous(I have a ways to go before I qualify). I'm getting tired of these National Geographics.....pacman

Darth VMAX

The only one that comes to mind is Bass and Walleye Boats. Not a "performance" mag in totality but every so often they have some good hot-rodding articals for Mercs, Yamaha (Hydro-Tec) and OMC. Currently they are doing a 3.0L OMC Looper/19 ft Bullet story.

JR

National Geo

Pacman,
I just received the check for the cancellation of my remaining subscription of National Geographic [after 20+ years of subscribing].

They produced a [histroical, not as Fiction] movie for their cable channel the showed Jesus as a Supernatural Con Artist who was a gay/pervert. They showed this right before CHRISTMAS.

One of the scenes shown was; Jesus is carrying the cross to Calvary to be crucified, followed by the Romans. Jesus suddenly uses supernatural power to "freeze" time. He goes over and grabs an innocent black man Simon and puts the crown of thorns and cross on him. Then he starts time back up again and the Romans Crucify the innocent black man while "Jesus" stands by and laughs.

I and hundreds of other Christians pleaded with National Geo to cancel this movie or we would cancel them [which I did].
I told them that I would resubscribe 6 months after they produced a similar movie on Mohammed, if there was a building/organization around then to mail the check to.....

http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/channel/blog/2006/12/explorer_jesus.html
JR

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

I canx my subscription to Natl Geo YEARS ago JR! They were pizzing me off back then.....what you just posted takes the cake!!!

JR

The Muslims loved this movie, smearing Christ. Maybe they are NGs new target group of audience/subscribers.
JR

RedAllison

JR N-G has been a left wing, historical revisionistic organization for YEARS!!! They have over stated plights, drought, famines and global warming FAR much worse and for much longer than it actually has been occuring. Just a bunch of nuts on a mission. I've NEVER wasted one red cent on their rag!

As for the boat in mags, as was said B&WBMag is about the only mag that specializes in our interests. HotBoat is mostly full of gold chains, pot bellies, multi-engined Fountains and 20something year old silicone bimbette seatcovers. But on occasion they sneek in a few of us "whackas". Seems like there was mag called "Family performance boat" or something like that lastyear that seemed pretty cool. I wonder if it's still around. Trailer boats and Magazine is another one, but it's mostly Biff and Buffy Bayliner and their 3 Rittelin doped kids running around a canoe covered lake in the mountains.

I STILL say someone could make a fortune just catering too us rednecks. Just put bikini'd babes (no nudes), bassboats, trucks, Harleys and beer in it. Put in monthly eds like huntin/fishin and college football for good measure. :at the bar

SIGN ME UP,
RA

ps
LMAO JR maybe N-G IS indeed targeting Muslims... thats great marketing and intelligence for you, a publisher who targets a group who is largely ILLITERATE!!!

pacman809

Wow.. Didn't mean to get us off onto a National Geo tiraid, though I can appreciate everyone's POV. ......OK. I see the challenge. Look for magazines or other venues just for us HP outboard nutcases...I'll let you know what I can find.
pacman

hack02

I can't think of any reading material right off hand but I have been watching some Rifleman reruns on the Western channel. Man that Lucas McCain. He never met another cowboy he wouldn't shoot. I've wondered how many men he killed in the whole series. He drops someone every episode, sometimes 3 or 4. Anyway, manly winter-time TV.

whipper

I think that S&F should make a magazine!!! They have everthing they need as far a test and readers rides and the like. All they need is the Babes. :smile james