Replacement Reeds

pacman809

My '97 Merc EFI has slowly developed a fuel leak under the front manifold. No sign of it while running but at shutdown, I can see a drip that stops in a minute or so. I am assuming I will pull the front end this spring and replace all gaskets. While I there, I was thinking of replacing the 14 yr old reeds on this otherwise stock engine and was looking for suggestions. Boat is used generally for knocking around the lake, skiing and scaring the crap out of old Bayliners. Pacman

whipper

Tony Doukas Racing Reeds {TDR} If heard good thing about them. I need to get a set also. Heck while your at it ya may as well send your injuctors off to get cleaned at Brucado. Tony will clean and flow test them and get them back to stock for ya. You should be good for many more years after all that hopfully.
I thnik there lots of opinions with reeds.? Ive never put a new set in but those TDR reeds have been tested with good results. Thats what Ill put in my 225 Promax.

Allyfishing

Hey pacman.....I recently pulled the intake off my '96 225 PM because I wanted to have my reeds checked and send my injectors off to have checked as well. I'm glad I did. The edges of a few of the reeds were burned.

The injectors were sent to Brucato and they were a mess. I too had too much fuel seeping out of somewhere and Brucato told me that 4 of them were flooding all the time and one at idle/part throttle.

I sent my entire intake to Chris Carson Marine (not endorsing anyone in particular) and he is going to prep the cages, install his reeds, put the injectors back in and reassemble the whole thing and send it back to me. I'm told there is a bit of a process to prepping the cages before seating the reeds.

I'd rather have someone that knows do it.

TBuck2003

My '97 Merc EFI has slowly developed a fuel leak under the front manifold. No sign of it while running but at shutdown, I can see a drip that stops in a minute or so. I am assuming I will pull the front end this spring and replace all gaskets. While I there, I was thinking of replacing the 14 yr old reeds on this otherwise stock engine and was looking for suggestions. Boat is used generally for knocking around the lake, skiing and scaring the crap out of old Bayliners. Pacman
pacman,
Unless your reeds are chipped or broken I would not do a thing. You can as mentioned get the injectors cleaned while you are in the front half. Larry Jones is a member here that does a fantastic job on the injectors. He is at Razorback Marine. Tony Brucato does them also. As far as replacing the reeds, I have fooled with a bunch of different ones and have NEVER seen an improvement, except for maybe at idle. Don't waste your money if the reeds are good. My .02

TBuck

whipper

It sounds then like the injectors and the seal are the biggest deal.Unless your reeds are not OK. Ya like Ive said i havent put new reeds in before so no idea what works and what doesnt. Good to check them while your at it and take Todds advice on replacment hes done lots of motors.

Theres guys that have there Injectors checked almost and every season. So chanses are youll have some that need attention after going so long not haveing them done as with mine also. I have a spare set Im sending off real soon hear. Then in the spring doing a little tear down myself seals ect..

Bobalouie

When I had mine checked this year, all were flooding (by a bunch) at both idle and WOT. 2 of my injectors wouldnt balance with the rest and had to be replaced. That more than tripled the bill.

Linda & Tony recommend having them cleaned and balanced once a year. Mine hadnt been done in 4, and the engine only had 55 hrs on it.

Last edited:

suicidealli

Some reeds just done live long!!!! Depends what you have. Most aftermarket are good and live pretty long... When they don't seal it will effect the idle more.

Roy

JaySmithRacing

TDR's are the ONLY reed I will use in any rebuild from full race to recreational.. They ARE bullet proof . AND I will meet any ADVERTISED price of any reed on the market..TDR has been in the 2 cycle reed buisiness for 35 years....

Jay

pacman809

Great responses as usual. Hadn't thought about the injectors but I will look into having them cleaned as part of the effort. I have to tear things up to replace the gaskets anyway- only want to do this once every decade or so. Thanks again! pacman