SS-2000/Mercury 200xs setup

Jon

Supporting Member
I'm making one soon and putting it on. The boat won't stand up coming out of the hole and you can get going a lot faster. I do not know of any cons. Interested to see what others have to say.

aeneas

What I am worried about is if the boat will be more proned to dive if catching a wave/wake? Will the skid-planer bend when landing hard on it?

If you are making one - think of the width and length. I got a narrow one and Bill explained that a wide one would catch spray slowing the boat down. If so, then the length would also come into play..?

whipper

interesting. Ill reserve my LONG comment. Im sure that will be appreciated.:big grin I will say though I thought they were supposed to in-effect add length to the hull indirectly making besides a flatter hole shot increased rough water capability? Yes/ no?

Jon

Supporting Member
Someone slap a gopro back there and make a run with and without.

James, I wrestling with what you said. At slow speeds you're riding on a lot of surface of the hull. At high speeds you're on the pad, but typically inertia keeps you over waves/rough water. I could see at certain speeds the extra length, although it is not at the same elevation as the pad, helping the boat out.

I know guys that run the planers at 110+ and they seem to run just fine concerning bow angle.

TBuck2003

Not a fan of the skid planer. It does have benefits on certain applications. If boat is set up properly I do not think they are needed. I know a bunch of 21's that did the do si do because of that planer. Drag boats are excluded from this because they are 7-8 seconds and done. We took 5 or so inches off of the planer on a 21" er and it handled way better. My .02

Jon

Supporting Member
Good info. I am breaking my own, so I may make a few different styles and let you guys know how they turn out.

whipper

:big grin Ya its a tough call. Back to back is the only way ones going to know. I did that with the foil and wont run without it after a back to back. Night and day. Cat and dog....blue skys and Clouds...:beer:

whipper

Only shame with the planner is you have to drill some holes I think? Then if ya dont like it you have holes. You need to find out who runs one on an SS with experience who knows what its like both ways.:big grin Hows that picture...

Lotus 50

I bought a skid planer for my SS2000. It sat in the box for over a year and I sold it. Every couple of years I stuff the bow trying to get home in big water. My theory is I would stuff more with a skid planer.

Better for drag racing, water skiing.

aeneas

Lotus: Ok, the skid-planer can sit in the boat shed for a while.

I can't wait to go boating. I am going to raise the engine a couple of mm more just to test. Then I am going to max my Hydromotive QIV OT, I hope to go 95-96 with it. I am at 94 @6 660rpm.

I bought David Shook's Mazco RE3 30p from Roy on here. It has since been to Mazco's to have a fat shaft hub installed. They returned it to me looking brand new - incredibly beautiful prop! Question is: how fast can I go with it? Will my 200xs spin it?
I have a friend at the golf club who works at the local refinery laboratory, he has 'cooked' for me. :big grin But will that be enough?

I would be super happy if I could hit triple digits with the 200xs. Is it possible?

Awesome speeds in the S&F thread, James.

Propmanjay, I learned the ease down lesson o my premiere ride in the SS-2000. Nothing dramatic happened but the boat acted very strange chopping the throttle from 60-65mph...That night I reminded myself about that reading on here and S&F.

Last edited:

whipper

I am going to raise the engine a couple of mm more just to test. Then I am going to max my Hydromotive QIV OT, I am at 94 @6 660rpm.

I bought David Shook's Mazco RE3 30p from Roy on here. Will my 200xs spin it?
But will that be enough?

I would be super happy if I could hit triple digits with the 200xs. Is it possible?

If a bone stock 225 can do 105-106 with a 32 a good 30 should see 100 on an SS for sure ! setup is key! You motor is a gen 11 right? They are dynoed pretty much the same as the old 225 promax. That old S&F thread was from 06. So the motor probably was a pretty new promax since they first started the efi ones in 05. Mines an 06. Rev limiters were the same stock at 6750. How you get a big wheel to run is with less resistance. So higher propshaft heights within reason dependant on the over all props diameter and engine setup. My guess is once you take the 28 for a few more spins to get back in the saddle and on a real good calm day with that 30 you will breeze to 100. And go,oh that was 100. Cool.:beer: You seen in that thread lots of guys turning 32,s!! If you at 94 with a 28 pitch 4 blade then 100 with a 3 blade 30 should be doable. It would be easier with a 32 but the 30 should just get ya there.

aeneas

I think the Hydromotive 28p is stiff, perhaps more like a 29. It's perfekt for my boat. I thought it was nervous with the ET Lightning and when I put the Hydromotive on it was like on rails.

My engine is a gen 1 broken in like a race engine and with open exhaust. It feels strong. It will easily hit the limiter with the Hydromotive it's just that I want to feel safe with the setup so I can do WOT all day long. I am very careful. The reason for not going WOT is that I have been off the pad a couple of times. Once I drove into a gust of wind and lost steering (see clip):

[YOUTUBE]Qf_s4IOsYp0[/YOUTUBE]

Another time out of the blue (the clip you asked me about Jon). But the last time was when really going for it - it felt like the boat started banking to starboard and it only stabilized up on the pad when letting up a little.

Last season was so much fun with setup and driving. Here is my 94mph run (excuse sloppy driving - lazy with the trim... :embarassed):

[YOUTUBE]W2Ipk281rJI[/YOUTUBE]

It is my testing stretch.

whipper

Nice recovery! haha Looks like your decals got cleaned anyway in the first clip.:big grin Freeky when that happens. The second clip looks great also. ive heard the 200xs pulls even stronger than a 225pm because of were they make there HP witch is around same 230-240ish. Such a sweet package ya got there!!

2Fast2Pass

Put a 1st gen on a friends 2003 last week. So far have run 89 with my 28/29 Hoss. I think low 90's, light, is obtainable. The 2nd gens with more HP would be awesome! But damn... they want too much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$