SS-2000/Mercury 200xs setup

propmanjay

The SSr is long gone. I was happy at 6", lift wasn't ever a problem. Remember mine only weighed 630lbs. The XR only ran 5" of set back!

aeneas

The project continues. The engine will be serviced (by me) and the boat polished (also by yours truly). I got some special 'juice' from the head of the lab at the local refinery that I may clean out the engine with... :)

Current props:
- Hydromotive QIV OT 28p special cut
- Mazco RE3 30p Shook's cut
- ET Lightning 28p stock lab finish

I have bought cables from Allison to fix the steering issue - it needs to be lubed or perhaps even changed. I also have another rack. If the new parts doesn't work I'll go hydraulic...

I am really going to try for 100mph. :eek:

aeneas

Took the boat outside for the first time this year.

I removed the old Allison speedo.

Put a GPS in its place. I hope it works otherwise I'll put a MercMonitor in that spot. I don't know where to place the puck/antenna? Also I don't know where to and how to put my Garmin GPS plotter without drilling any holes in the boat. I am thinking of replacing the handle bar for a stainless one and look for bicycle like mounts...

EDIT: I raised the engine 4mm from last year.

Last edited:

Lotus 50

Why a goal of 100 mph? That seems natural here, we are all calibrated in MPH. Shouldn't your goal be in kph or knots?

Jon

Supporting Member
100mph with 200hp and a max of 6xxx rpm? The math machine says IF you run a 30 at 6900rpm's on a perfect day, you can hit it with your gearcase. Where does your XS top out so far?

aeneas

Lotus50: the mph is because Darris told me the boat/engine should be able to do 97-103mph. I think 100mph is a nice and round number but translated to knots =86,9... Well you see it. I only refer to speed in knots over here. I could have partial goals like 85kts...

Jon: About rpm I'm not sure for many reasons. First I am running a 28p Hydromotive 93.9mph@6 660rpm according to my tacho that shows those rpm in the digital display and what looks like higher rpm on the analogue clock (same Mercury SmartCraft SC-1000 gauge). Second, I am holding back a little for setup reasons (suddenly fallen of the pad, feels like the propeller wants to turn the boat over when giving it the stick, steering problems etc - lots of adjustments to do). It feels as if the engine can do a couple of more mph with that Hydromotive 4-blade (see clip below). Also I am running at sea level in saltwater.

Last edited:

aeneas

The skid-planer
I will also fit a skid-planer. Do I fit it as is or do I need to modify it? I have however seen that some people shorten their skid-planer...
There are at least two versions: narrow or wide. I have the narrow one, I asked Bill about it and he said the SS-2000 should have the narrow one because the wider caught spray and slowed the boat down.

whipper

Youll be faster with a 3 blade i would imagine on your setup but a 4 blade like Todds will be the best all rounder for rougher water and loads. That new one ya got is the ticket to the speeds your trying to reach. it may take some fiddling with the motor hight. Also i would go hydraulics seastar pro man in a heart beat!! For a pleasure boat there is no other way that makes sense. Its as tight as Cable and zero torque steer. No maintenance and always just works. Well mines been that way anyway. :rolleyes: a wing plate setup would look cool if they fit on your boat. Your SS looks so sweet!!

whipper

Hey Nils once ya hit 100 like im sure your going to. I would stick to doing on your testing stretch of water until you've done it 20+ times on that stretch of water. i write down the temperature of the air each time and then when im done a few runs record the top speeds. That way if its a very hot day and the last time was way cooler i dont push it to get the same speeds as the cool day within a couple mph some times. Some times that 1 or 2 mph your trying to get isnt going to be there. Trying for it might not be wise if one more bump is to many.o_O

aeneas

Ok, new problem... I am trying to connect my new gps to the flick switch furthest to the right for the Instrument Lights. I ground the gps to the ground on the switch and connect the plus to the pin furthest down and all I get is the background lighting (as if wasn't enough power). If I take the plus and put it to the plus before the fuse and switch I lights up and functions as it should. I know nothing about electricity so I need some guidance here. :confused:

Jon

Supporting Member
I like to stick my tongue on the post to make sure it's working first. Not really, don't do that.

Flip the switch on, and hopefully you have a meter to measure voltage laying around, and check it on both posts. There should be nothing on the switch providing resistance between either side.

Concerning the "ground on the switch". There is no ground on the switch. You are only switching the hot leg of the GPS. Connect the ground to a common ground elsewhere in your wiring harness. Take a pic of the back of the switch if you can and I'll annotate where to hook up your wires.

aeneas

Jon, thank you. No tongue... :D

I borrowed a volt meter and found there was no conductivity in that particular switch, all the others functioned ok. Fuse ok too. Where do I buy these switches?

aeneas

whipper, yes I will consider a hydraulic steering (SeaStar Allison) if the new cables and rack doesn't work. On my previous boat I ran a Seastar Pro and it was great but this boat came equipped with a dual cable setup and I really like the feedback from it despite that it doesn't run as smooth as it should.

The Hydromotive QIV OT prop Todd made for me is fantastic! If Shook's Mazco doesn't do it for me maybe I'll ask Todd to make me a super fast three blade thru hub prop to carry the heavier engine setup I am running.

Thank you for the compliment on the boat! I will have it polished and shiny again before running...
Sometimes I read that the SS-2000 is not one of the great Allison boats mainly because people think its cramped, hard to get in and out of and it tends to suddenly fall off the pad. I have experienced the falling off the pad once (in a clip Jon found on the tube). I have not for obvious reasons driven any other Allison but I think all fast boats have their quirks and for me the SS-2000 is a great boat! I gives me the adrenaline rushes I crave, it's super fun to drive and it looks both beautiful and angry. Over here it is even more exotic than in the USA and gets lots of attention - not a single negative comment so far despite open exhaust. :)

Last edited:

aeneas

I connected the GPS speedo and also the Garmin PGS wiring so its done. I went out for a test run. I am very satisfied with how the boat runs with this setup and the Hydromotive prop, it feels easy like pie to drive except for that the steering has seized up. From yesterday:

aeneas

Yesterday evening after work I tried the Mazco RE3 30p I bought last year. Wind gusts and waves made it a very difficult run. This morning the wind had died down and the water was calm. The prop was beautiful - the boat like 'on rails'!