SS-2000/Mercury 200xs setup

aeneas

Jon, I am still @ 81,6kts (94mph) with the Hydromotive QIV OT 28p cut but I am now testing the Mazco RE3 30p I bought from Roy R and I have about 650rpm to the limiter.
As Whipper pointed out I may need to adjust the prop shaft height up to the last hole, I will try to bump the trim before I do anything as I run the Mazco with less trim about 4 while with the Hydromotive just over 5.

The reason I wear a helmet is that last year a friend of a friend made an unplanned stop and on the way out of the boat used his face. Broken bones, broken jaw and no teeth on one side.

Last edited:

aeneas

How much higher than a Hydromotive QIV OT should a Mazco RE3 run? Any pointers?!

-----
Observation: I have now found that my boat does not like propellers with a lot of cup. The two Allison cut props I own have had the cup taken down a bit. They run very well. Then I have a Lightning ET lab stock cup, don't like it so much...

whipper

Like Jay said!! Looken great!! Your spray is top of the cowl the attitude is fantastic great job!!

In the pic you look to be 1/4 below the pad and your trim deg just past neutral. Nice!!

If do decide to bring the motor up a hole when you run higher up its a lot different of a feel. It seems like your WAY up there on the pad more when running because you are!! The margin for error decreases also.:rolleyes: Water needs to be super good to go for those last few bumps. You will probably not need as much trim either. Theres a breaking point that Im sure you will find when experimenting. Just always be super careful and like any new propshft hight you need to get used to all the changes and bring her up to speed slow lots before any balls out runs. Youll know when your to high buy the rpm and trim. If your not any faster with the same prop at the same rpm and trim your to high. If you blow out before your motor is neutral your to high ect... I tryed my motor at 1 inch above the other day as i have no lip and can. i was going faster with less effort than ever before but i was so high on the pad i never temped it. it just felt odd being WAY up there like that. On Saturday Ill try it again. ill just have to get used to it or decide weather or not thats to high or not? I haven't decided yet. It sure takes more driving though as the area is smaller that your running on. All fun and games until ya push that trim up one to many times or hit a wave up there. haha

Looken good as always Nils!!:cool:

aeneas

Thank you James! I follow your advice, you know. ;) Thank you for pointing me in the direction of Shook's prop!
I will try at this height some more before bringing the motor up. I will also try more on Saturday if the weather permits and I have done all the gardening etc...
My goal is triple digits in mph or 86,9knots but also to run the boat like racerx's white SS - very high and flat.

At what prop shaft height do you normally run? 1" sounds very high for an Allison. Report back on your progress! Good luck! Be safe!

//Nils

aeneas

Sorry, I mean octane111's boat - not racerx's. The white SS-2000 seems to run very high and light on the water (and fast: 105mph in one clip). I would like to run my boat that high! :)

Last edited:

propmanjay

With a stock lip you will get the most speed with the boat on the roll running clean but level. A nose high attitude scrubs off speed. With the lip cut like James you have to run the motor higher on the transom.

aeneas

I have seen some clips from when running my boat this weekend and I am now sure that the propshaft needs to go up - the rooster is only half the height of the engine... :(
The question is how much? What is the common experience regarding difference in height between a Hydromotive QVI OT and a Mazco RE3 (the lip is stock)?

Here is a close up from a warm up pass with the Mazco.

©eken 2015

Last edited:

Jon

Supporting Member
You said 650rpm to the limiter. Is yours set at 6900 like mine? I noticed after I propped to run at WOT at 6600rpm, the boat was a lot more peppy, and sounds much better. It climbs up to that 6600 quicker.

aeneas

The engine runs well in the higher rpm regions! :D I believe we have the same rev limiter.

aeneas

Yes, I think the top speed in the clip was 92mph (over 80kts). I am getting there with the setup as I hardly have to move the steering wheel - she's like on a string.
Today I moved the engine up two holes (40mm) and then lowered with the jp 37mm = I raised 3mm as recommended. I also removed the brackets for the skid-planer so not to catch spray and slow down. Tomorrow I will try the new settings.

Last edited:

whipper

You will love the new setting i think. Just have to be careful because things are lighter the more ya go up. The feeling will different but probably allot faster.:D The more ya go up the less tolerant of waves obviously to. The larger the diameter prop the more ya can go up to a point. As long as you get speed with rpm your good. If you bump and no speed but get rpm your done. I find that works pretty good. Good for one rpm up with no speed but two bumps like that is to many.:eek:

Last edited: