SS-2000/Mercury 200xs setup

aeneas

Here is a clip of me running with my Hydromotive QIV OT on the flat. Not WOT as the prop is better in the chop. http://youtu.be/17u9V83wBsM

Should I raise the engine more?

The clip is from a friend of mines film and it can be viewed in full on his Youtube channel: Hydroline

whipper

Looked real good!!:beer: Nice job. You had one or two more bumps left probably. As far as higher goes I wouldn't concern myself with that this season until I reach max speed were its at. That might take another month in the spring to see if there was a bump or two?. Boat looked and sounded right on the money. When I test for top speed and feeling ballsy very carefully and only when I have a spotter boat I will slowly trim to were you were at then take it one more. Then maybe one more. Always looking at the tach and GPS. The {second} i bump and gained rpm and not even a point of a mph or accually loose a point or two Ill know i reached top speed for that setup and prop. Its a hard thing to do because fear of hooking sometimes gets in the way and its a real fear when trying it that way. But i have done it hundreds of times. tiu have to be ready and expecting the worst or dont even bother trying it. IF you do it i make sure i writ every thing down in an onboard little book everything about that run for future reference for that prop and setup. Weather conditions temps also. That way next time i use that prop Ill have an idea were I could maybe get to again or when im getting close.

Looked great!!! good job on the speed and ride attitude. these things take time. and be SAFE!!:wink

Last edited:

aeneas

Thank you Tom and whipper for your valuable input!

I am slowly getting there with setup and seat time. I am comfortable at 85 mph (do that many times on every run) and slowly increasing. Have some issues with the steering but am at 92 mph with my 4-blade Hydromotive allround prop. I think it can go +95. My target is 100mph with the 200xs. I now have three props.

aeneas

Thank you Tom and whipper for your valuable input!

I am slowly getting there with setup and seat time. I am comfortable at 85 mph (do that many times on every run) and slowly increasing. Have some issues with the steering but am at 92 mph with my 4-blade Hydromotive allround prop. I think it can go +95. My target is 100mph with the 200xs. I now have three props.

whipper

The 7000 rpm limiter will be your nemesis to reach 100 but not impossible with the right prop. At 92 with 28 your right at the sweet spot. 1 or 2 mph quite doable 3 mph that's a different story but again doable as Todds props are known to run very low slip. If you were at 7000 rpm at 92 thats 7% slip that correlates to a well setup Allison. But speeds with less calculation are always taken so to get 95 you would have needed more rpm or and trim as the slip would need to be sub 5%. Some discredit these calculations but I have found them a useful tool to reach top speed safer with low HP motors in setup and prop testing. If I had a 260 or 280+ i probably wouldn't care so much as the hull would reach top speed before the motor ever did with a tall prop unless there was a real discrepancy in rpm and speed. Your probably going to find that 30 you have the same way. You will reach 97-98 but that last 2 or 3 mph to bust 100 will be tough providing you can reach max rpm. Because it was one of Shooks props it may run tall on the big end that will help for the magic number. This just what i have found trying and trying to reach faster speeds all the time with my GS with a 225 at 2300ft above sea level.Its been a real challenge but i feel i have learned so much from all the members on hear helping me along the way. So just paying forward what Ive been tought from some of the fast guys on hear.:wink

aeneas

I made some adjustments that Todd recommended (raising the engine to level with the pad) and now I think I have found the right settings. The boat gets up real high on the pad on top of the water and the propeller just pushes - it feels like there is no drag at all with just the skeg in the water. The boat is now very easy to drive, almost no chine tendencies and just feels very very good and fun to drive. I love my SS-2000!

The goal for the season (80kts =92.0mph) is achieved with many runs at 80 with a top at 80.3 so far. I think there is 82kts in the Hydromotive QIV OT 28p - my allround propeller. I am very happy! Thank you very much for all your help!

I bought one of David Shook's Mazco RE3 30p props that I am looking forward to testing for high speed sessions!

Last edited:

aeneas

Level seems right! How do you guys measure? I am thinking of making measuring tool...

I made what I think is my last run of the season on November 22. I have never before experienced boating and Christmas smorgasbord on the same day - incredible! The Hydromotive QIV OT 28p allround prop really runs well and I logged 93.9mph (81.6kts) and still have 200rpm to go on the engine. I tried to go WOT but it felt like the starboard corner of the pad started sinking and the boat wanted to lean/bank to the right so I let up. Anything to be concerned about?

I have been told there should be a rooster tail but at speed I don't have much... :gasp

93.9mph in this clip on the first leg, when I turn back it is just transportation - see how light the boat runs... I think I have 95mph with the Hydromotive!

http://youtu.be/W2Ipk281rJI

The Mazco is at Mazco to be fitted with a fat shaft hub. John M e-mailed me that he received the prop in excellent condition and that he remembers making it for David Shook. I'll have it back right after the holidays.

David Shook was kind and sent me some great pics so I'll have some framed and put in my cabin.

Last edited:

Bobalouie

To measure:
1. make sure your floor is level. I used an 8' level and placed it under the boat on the floor where it would sit under the pad and under the motor at the same time. If my surface wasnt level, I used washers to shim the level until I got the bubble centered. Once the bubble is centered, leave it where it is and dont touch it.

2. I used a 4' digital level on the pad of the boat. I put it in the center of the pad (port to starboard) and had the back of the level about 6" forward of the rear edge of the pad. That way I didnt introduce the lip into the leveling. I then had someone adjust the trailer tongue jack until the digital readout read 0.

3. I used a 6" digital level with a magnetic base on the top of the propshaft. I used the trim to move the engine until the digital readout read 0.

4. Check to make sure that my level on the floor, my pad, and my propshaft are all still level.

5. Using a tape measure, place the loose end on the center of the pad (port to starboard) about 6" in front of the rear edge and measure straight down to the top of the level on your floor. Record that measurement. I used a 6" carpenters square to make sure I was measuring exactly perpendicular, thereby not introducing any error due to measuring at an angle.

6. using the same tape measure, place the loose end on the center of the end of the propshaft and measure down to the top of the level on your floor. Record that measurement. I used the 6" carpenters square here too.

7. Subtract the propshaft measurement from the pad measurement. That is how far above or below the pad you are. If the number is positive, you are below the pad by that amount, if the number is negative, you are above the pad by that amount.

The reason I was so anal about the way I measured was that 1/8" of an inch, or 3.175mm can make the difference of whether you are on the razors edge of screwing up, or running in a safe zone. That means that 1/16" of an inch, or 1.588mm is pretty important, especially if you are wanting to set your boat up to meet your goals and do it safely. Being off 1/32" of an inch, or less than a millimeter, could compound thru the two measurements to be 1/16". Its not rocket science, but the measuring process does require a little bit of time and patience.

racerx

very correct Propman his motor is to high or his prop isn't carrying the boat well...

aeneas

Good to hear, I have barely no rooster at speed (se clip in my previous post).

Tonight I made a model of a measure device that I will have cut from aluminum - it is a profile that avoids both the lip and the keel roller on the trailer. I was pretty level...

SLOmofo

" I was pretty level... " = to, slightly pregnant. :shock:

I measure the width of the pad, draw a line down the center then measure the width of a 3' level. Divide that in half and make a line parallel to the center line. Remove the center line. This way you can put the level against the hull in exactly the same place, centered on the hull. For me the top of the flywheel is easier then the prop shaft to use for checking vertical of the engine.

aeneas

Good point SLOmofo. I was 1mm below (1/25") and that is not level but pretty close. I drive a desk for work, I am not a handy man all tough I am proud to have rigged my boat by myself and with friends. I am very thorough that is why I have had the engine height measured three times... I am getting there with the help of you guys here on the board!

aeneas

Not much boating in Sweden nowadays. We had a terrible storm last week and a lot of trees fell lots to clear with insurance, builders etc. Today it was snow in the air - not boating weather.

News about the boat: I have bought a cover for the boat from Allison. It's a black one. Also they found some spare steering cables for me.
The Mazco RE3 (one of David Shook's) I bought has been back at Mazco and is now fitted with a 19 spline hub (fat shaft).

This and that (ok if mods want to erase):I have bought a lot of stuff for my Jeep Wrangler: Bestop sailcloth soft top, half doors with soft uppers, new wheels/mud tires, new mirrors, kit to fit larger wheel on the tailgate etc. I am also going to have some dents fixed and resprayed with new decals. Fire red with us army stars ok? :big grin No, it will only be one 6" star on each fender instead of the 'Sport' decal.

Oh, my cat is 8 months old and a real killer. He even ambushes me... :big grin
Today he caught a mouse and a bird and left them half eaten under the kitchen window. At the end of the summer when he got into hunting he left me an average of two half eaten things a day (mostly mice). The only thing he didn't chew on was a big *** rat - it was almost a foot with the tail.

And for lunch... (ref Facebook)

Oh, I forgot. When rigging the boat there were some parts missing for fitting the shift and throttle cables in the engine. I did a racing fix with electrical tape... I got the parts and all is now as it should be.

I want to go boating!

Last edited:

Jon

Supporting Member
Just move here Nils and you can go whenever. It was about 15C and sunny here today :).\

Put us up a pic of the Jeep with the parts fitted... and put the boat near it so it is a boat related picture :)

aeneas

Last year I bought a skid-planer but it is still sitting in the box. I wonder if I should put it on the boat? Pros and cons?