SS-2000/Mercury 200xs setup

aeneas

Ok, thanks! I will try that. A fifth of an inch to begin with?

aeneas

How do you guys measure prop shaft height? I want to use a laser but are there other methods?

Tomorrow I will lower 5mm (1/5") and test. I am comfortably cruising at about 70mph so I feel I am so close to being able to go fast...

Lotus 50

I put a level under my boat on the trailer in my garage. Once the boat was level, I leveled the motor. Then I just used a tape measure, to the hull ahead of the lip, and then to the prop shaft.

aeneas

Today I got a laser so now I will be able to set height according to your recommendations (

aeneas

Last time out when I lowered the engine I almost lost interest in driving - it was just no fun. Today however I managed to get the setup quite a bit better. It is a completely different boat now! I raised the engine 2" and some... The laser dot marks the level of the pad about 2ft in (+6mm or 1/4" below due to the laser application):

The propeller looks like cr*p in the photo but not in real life... It turned out to be my new iPhone, there was a plastic cover over the camera lens.

Last edited:

FlatOutAlly

Good work, Aeneas. An 1/8 or a 1/4 on just about all other boats makes little or no difference. Not so on ours. 1/4 - 3/16 below is my sweet spot. I rarely move it much. Once you find it, ride it.

aeneas

Thank you FlatOutAlly, I am working myself closer to your propshaft height. Today I have changed propshaft height. Engine trim level with the pad. Center of propshaft 3/8 below pad. I will test this setup tomorrow if weather permits - today very windy, yesterday thunder and hailstorm.

I am also in touch with Todd @ Hydromotive regarding a prop.

Last edited:

aeneas

Weather conditions have not permitted any testing yet. I have however today moved the setback from 8" to 9

Last edited:

aeneas

I bought a GoPro Hero 3+ video camera to see what actually goes on behind the boat. Have tried to look over a shoulder but it feels like I am about to crash then... I was pleased to see that there is no rooster, also interesting to see when coming down in speed (3:18) and also when running in waves coming from the side (6:20) which I do not like... Also some scenery of where the summer house is (there is a white building - opposite that building is the summer home).

http://youtu.be/CpPw6CUkBtI

Last edited:

St

Fantastic! Thank you for sharing!

What was the top rpm and top speed in this video?

Im guessing 6 000 rpm +-200 rpm and 75-80 mph?

Keep up the good work! :)

Sm0ke

I have the identical setup and all I can tell you is start with the motor 1/2" below the pad and just keep trying to drive it. It took me a long time to learn to drive it, but once you get it you will forever love Allison boats!!! Leave the setup alone for now...you will get it.

aeneas

I have the identical setup and all I can tell you is start with the motor 1/2" below the pad and just keep trying to drive it. It took me a long time to learn to drive it, but once you get it you will forever love Allison boats!!! Leave the setup alone for now...you will get it.
Finally a boat with the same engine! What setback are you running? What props?

I have the Allison manual 8-9

Last edited:

aeneas

I have been in touch with Todd @ Hydromotive so he can help me with a prop. It will be a Hydromotive QIV OT. I am very excited.

Today I made some passes in the fjord where there were wind gusts of up to 9m/s. http://vimeo.com/106186279 I wanted to see the angle of attack as I want to keep the boat at a low attitude. It was not easy as the waves pushed the boat up and the wind caught it...

Last edited:

racerx

Feel the boat out don't pay any attention to that trim gauge un till you found the spot and then look where the gauge is,my gauge is in the 6 plus to 7....