SS-2000/Mercury 200xs setup

aeneas

Need some help with setup...

Information:

SS-2000 Excel side slide ('02)

In the picture the engine is top on the jackplate. I then went down rock bottom and have since then jacked it up 35mm (1.4"). I don't know how high that is in relation to the pad but I have ordered a small laser for accurate measurements.

The boat is rigged with an Allison jackplate with 8-9

Last edited:

racerx

set up looks good that nervous point your saying is motor is to high looks like you have a et which is a good carrying prop for that boat what other props you have...

aeneas

Ok, thank you. I will lower the engine 5mm (about a fifth of an inch) to begin with.

Any ideas on the steering? I got a box of bolts and nuts but no instructions or guide as how to set it up. It is a opposing dual ride guide... I really like the feel of it but it has a slack.

As for props I currently only have the ET Lightning 28 p lab as I sold all the other props with the previous boat. I am looking to buy "a wardrobe" of props for different purposes. I will write to Hydromotive to see if they have a prop for me, perhaps a worked Intimidator 3..? As a matter a fact I tried to write a couple of days ago but the attempts were lost because of problems with this website (it kept on going down all the time so I gave up).

Last edited:

Dave Hensley

Now we know where all the 200xs ROS's go.....EXPORT! Did you buy the outboard new? Also, the ride guide is easy to set up, but, check the linkage first at the tiller arm. If the bronze cone washers are worn at all, ie tey have grooves cut in them, it will be difficult o get the slack out. Allison still has some available I believe. Other than that just get everything hooked up and begin adjusting the tube where the front cable bolts. That is done by loosening the two large jam nuts on the aluminum bracket and turning one nut in the direction that takes out the slack. Don't over do it. The wheel should have no tight spots and just a bit of play.

aeneas

prophydro@windstream.net is my email. Shop # is 330-425-3629 Good Luck

Todd
Todd,
I'll drop you a line as I dropped my new iPhone in the water today...
Nils
Now we know where all the 200xs ROS's go.....EXPORT! Did you buy the outboard new? Also, the ride guide is easy to set up, but, check the linkage first at the tiller arm. If the bronze cone washers are worn at all, ie tey have grooves cut in them, it will be difficult o get the slack out. Allison still has some available I believe. Other than that just get everything hooked up and begin adjusting the tube where the front cable bolts. That is done by loosening the two large jam nuts on the aluminum bracket and turning one nut in the direction that takes out the slack. Don't over do it. The wheel should have no tight spots and just a bit of play.
Dave,
Well you guys don't want them so we have to take them... :) All I read on Scream and fly are complaints about the engine being expensive and without warranty...

I have a couple of friends who like me run them on their runabouts (sport/race-engines on sportboats ftw) but most 200xs run in the UIM Offshore racing class 3C.

I bought mine new in box from Allison Boats - best engine I have had (so far). I broke it in like a race engine and I would not be surprised if it generates 220-230hp. It also has grunt (more than the 2.5efi 280) and unbelievable fuel efficiency, the only thing it does not have is those very high wonderful sounding revs...

Ok, so the forward tube takes out the slack - I will try tomorrow. Thank you!

Tonight I tested trim at about 4,000rpm and found that at 6.9-7.0 trim the boat runs straight (no wobbles, no chine walk, no movements) without any corrections at all - it felt like I could floor it. Could it be that the boats are extremely sensitive to propshaft height and trim?

Lotus 50

I thought you had one of the Gen 1 200XS engines. Old enough to be out of warranty now, but I would have expected a warranty back then.

It's hard to imagine getting anywhere with set up and driving until your steering is tight.

My SS2000 is very sensitive to trim and height. With my prior motor, higher engine height the faster it went. The last 1/2" (12 mm) was worth a lot, maybe 10 mph. That was with the small XR4 gearcase. Of course the chances of a hook go up if the engine is raised to far or trimmed to far.

aeneas

I thought you had one of the Gen 1 200XS engines. Old enough to be out of warranty now, but I would have expected a warranty back then.

It's hard to imagine getting anywhere with set up and driving until your steering is tight.

My SS2000 is very sensitive to trim and height. With my prior motor, higher engine height the faster it went. The last 1/2" (12 mm) was worth a lot, maybe 10 mph. That was with the small XR4 gearcase. Of course the chances of a hook go up if the engine is raised to far or trimmed to far.
I do have a gen I 200xs with the lower cowling and a trim button on the engine. I got the 2 year warranty but never had to use it... The 200xs engines are bulletproof! I guess the reason for Mercury not issuing a warranty for the gen II is probably because alot happens at the very rough offshore races they are built for...

A friend of mine who have investigated the 200xs engines claim that the gen I were 210-230hp but very uneven and that the gen II are 225 give and take a few with much more even quality. Also the gen I came in a 20" mid generating more hp than the 15 because they had no exhaust restrictions where the 15" had an exhaust block off plate (first thing I removed).

Another friend of mine ex offshore racer, twice UIM kilo speed world record holder for rib (with Mercury and Lamborghini engines), boat designer and more helped me service my engine and he said it looked like a prototype under the cowling - not thought thru and very hard to even shift spark plugs... This is much better on the gen II - it is tidy and looks like a production/consumer engine.

I will work on the steering to see if I can get it tight. I like the feedback I get from it.

Last edited:

aeneas

As we had an opportunity to compare the gen I to the gen II we also noticed a caracteristic blower sound from the gen I engine and not from the gen II, very nice.

Gen I on the red boat and gen II on the white Hydroline 525.

To show you what kind of conditions the Allison now run in:

Hydrolift T-20/Mercury 300ProMax.

Hydroline 525/Mercury 200xs ros gen II.

Last edited:

Dave Hensley

Got to believe there are more than 4. Mine is a Gen II sitting on a 2011 XR2001 RR. There is one on Lake Lanier on a GranSport. Sister to my motor bought at the same time. Both 2013 models.

michael j giesler

I forgot about razors that's 2 Dave has 1 Andy driver has one jimmy Hensley has one and there is one in Minnesota that one on the gs makes 7 there should be over a 100 of these but I guess that's my pipe dream

Dave Hensley

Michael you are correct that there should be more. I have never owned an Opti based outboard until this one. I was a an old school 2.5 performance crumudgeon. This motor has changed my mind. No it won't wind up the rpm's but for all day at the lake it does 95% of things 200% better than a 260/280/Drag based motor. I don't think ODBA or DSRA run a green class but this thing on the XR2001 would be fun in that class. Especially with an 8000 rpm box.

Disappointing when you see a post from Sweden and they are the motor of choice.

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

I think a gen II 200xs with its 1.75 ratio would be one of the ideal green motors for my XB2002. I wonder if going for a big number if 95 mph would be attainable? Seems the 1.75 ratio would be beneficial with the lower revs.

aeneas

I think a gen II 200xs with its 1.75 ratio would be one of the ideal green motors for my XB2002. I wonder if going for a big number if 95 mph would be attainable? Seems the 1.75 ratio would be beneficial with the lower revs.
Mercury Marine established five new world kilo bass boat speed records... on the Tennessee River in Clifton, Tennessee. Bill McClain of Lawrenceburg, Tennessee used an Allison XB 2002 bass boat to set three of the records.

[...]

OptiMax is Mercury Marine's low-emissions, direct fuel injection two-stroke technology that meets Environmental Protection Agency 2006 emissions regulations and California Air Resources Board 2004 standards.

The records, governed on-site by American Power Boat Association (APBA) officials, require back-to-back speed runs over a straight-line, one kilometer course. The record is the average of two consecutive speed runs.

Weather conditions were no less than miserable - with overcast skies, high humidity and temperatures hovering in the low 40s making things treacherous for drivers and trying for crews and spectators alike. The APBA had sanctioned two days for the records - but with a weather forecast calling for three inches of rain on Tuesday, Mercury officials decided it was best to try and get all the runs in on Monday.

Team Jaco driver Bill McClain was scheduled to run first, making an attempt to set a new Pro Stock Bass 200 record using a Mercury Racing OptiMax 200XS (SS) outboard on an Allison XB 2002 hull. Running first would give McClain and Team Jaco time to switch out the OptiMax 200XS outboard for a production OptiMax 150 outboard on the same hull.

Pro Stock Bass Boat class speed records rules call for bass boats that retain production boat identity, i.e. fishing decks, colors, graphics, seating, etc. while allowing latitude in construction, preparation and set up to permit higher speeds. Outboards must be production units that are available to the public in quantity. Minor modifications are allowed to the gearcase and propeller. Minor blueprinting of the boat bottom is allowed as well. Boats must met the minimal weight designated for the class, including driver and remaining fuel as it is lifted from the water upon completion of the record run.

McClain flew through the traps at an average speed of 102.099 mph to set a new 1500 lb. Pro Stock Bass 200 world kilo speed record on his first attempt! The record exceeds the existing Pro Bass 200 class world kilo speed by 1.143 mph. The original record was set October 22, 1996 in Oak Ridge, Tennessee by Team Jaco driver Scott Sisco in the same hull powered by a Mariner Super Magnum 200 EFI outboard. McClain,who turned 37 on Tuesday, was bound and determined to give himself an early birthday present, upping the record even higher. A rapidly closing weather window forced him to the trailer to switch out the 200XS for an OptiMax 150 outboard. He would receive his early birthday present later in the day.

Source: http://www.boatingabc.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/261711/Re_Fish_boat_speed_records_105.html
It is my understanding that Allison-people are very resourceful so 95mph doesn't sound impossible...

And with a Mercury Optimax 150hp:

Meanwhile, back in the pits, Team Jaco worked feverishly to complete the rigging of a Mercury OptiMax 150 outboard on Bill McClain's Allison XB 2002 hull. McClain quickly hammered out a new 1400 lb. Pro Stock Bass 150 class record with an average speed of 92.103 mph, beating the existing 89.734 mph by 2.369 mph - a strong performance for the reliable Mercury OptiMax 150.

Taking little time to celebrate, Team Jaco again worked in the pits to switch out the Mercury 150 OptiMax for a Mercury 175 OptiMax outboard.
And with a Mercury Optimax 175hp:

Team Jaco driver Bill McClain hit the river again with the Mercury OptiMax 175 outboard-powered Allison hull. He blistered through the traps, averaging 99.191 mph on his first set of runs, to set a new 1400 lb. Pro Stock Bass 175 class record. McClain received his early birthday present by smashing the previous Pro Stock Bass 175 class record, set by McClain with a Mariner 175 EFI in 1996, by over five mph!...

Last edited:

racerx

The problem is it takes a kilo to get there,how fast was Siscos run with a 200??

aeneas

The boat runs straight as an arrow up to about 5,500-5,700rpm where it starts to feel loose as if the propeller looses its grip... I then step off a bit and the propeller bites again at about 5,000rpm. What to do?