SS-2000/Mercury 200xs setup

DOUBLE J

Sorry the second time qoing around wasn't the ET. That's my favorite prop on the SS and GS and I've tried them all (own ET's, Mazco's and Hoss's). Also never turned neither one around running any of these props so I would think it was your set up. I run a little above the pad w/280SS and 11" of setback.

aeneas

Today was not Allison weather but like whipper wrote the boat felt quicker. 93.2mph (81.0kts) in the clip.

I was afraid to damage my Mazco prop in the chop.

aeneas

This clip illustrates better what I mean when I write 'not Allison weather'. I have to wrestle her a bit...

aeneas

The faster you go - the softer it runs! Great boat! I am just a bit chicken not to go flat out...

whipper

You can see even though you were faster than the runs with the motor down a bit the rooster was down also. You know what that means when theres smooth water.;)

What your going to feel is a whole new level of on the pad right around that speed 89+ or so. You will feel like you are a foot higher running. You will have no wetted surface you will be only on the pad and thats it! So choose the water wisely when you make runs like that. Be safe when you are doing what your doing all the time searching for max speed its bound to happen. Just hang on tight if it does.:eek: i would say your 93-94 speeds are your safe top speeds that you can get to with less than perfect water since you have done this so many times now. my safe speed is 89-90 with a 28. Over that its anyone's guess if the prop will break the surface. An over correction can wiggle the prop out of its set at those speeds with smaller power. I know your being smart about it and really thinking things threw. Just be safe, your doing things the right way very methodical. When you have great water and decide to go for that trim make sure you have a boat near buy just incase you need them. Maxing things out shouldn't be done without a saftey near buy. You will more than likely be fine but better safe than sorry.

aeneas

whipper I hear you and I want to try these settings in calm waters before changing as running in these conditions doesn't really say anything except what speeds I can comfortably run. I am very cautious when it comes to gusts of wind after last year's unpleasant incident.

Last edited:

aeneas

I have just bought a Garmin Virb Elite action camera so I will have two (also have a GoPro Hero3+ Silver Edition). From now on I will have overlay data in my videos. I will be able to show GPS speed, g-forces, bearing and work towards perhaps getting wind, engine data (rpm/throttle position/trim etc) to make them more interesting for me setting the boat up for my triple digit goal.

I have tried working with GoPro/Garmin and Dashware but it was a hazzle specially since I migrated to Mac instead of PC and Dashware isn't compatible with Mac.

aeneas

I did 95mph today. I also realized that I have not been out boating very much this year, I have only been thinking about getting a top speed (=setup) where work, rain, wind and waves/wakes has stopped me... I am going to enjoy the boat more now, relax, make excursions etc - Saturday I am going out to look at the Smögen Poker Run.

I got the 95 in two runs then I caught up with a Seadoo and when next to him just stepped on it and flew by with a beautiful rooster! :D

Last edited:

peteylen

Almost turned mine around yesterday about 60, forgot I was trimmed up and gassed it and got on the trim again, got greasy turned to the right about 30-40deg and I caught it somewhat and back to the left and to right and straight ahead, happened quick and over just as fast, the wife was speaking in tongues. Lol, then ran it on to 98, I need a trim gauge

gmorgan

Stainless Marine is the gauge you will want to get, in my opinion.

aeneas

The boat will be undergoing some upgrades this spring.
Today I have one of those Allison jack plates that can be turned depending on the mid section - 15" or 20". It also has variable setback: 8-9".
I wonder if that jack plate creates drag/spray? In the 15" position it sticks down... (see pic). It is set for a 15" mid in the picture.

I have ordered a new Allison jack plate for 15" mid sections only with 8-9" setback. Will I get more speed?
I will also fit the skid-planer I bought a couple of years back...

I have also ordered a hydraulic steering for my boat from Allison. It comes with a steering wheel.

aeneas

pkstv, I am very excited to see how these upgrades work, after your response even more so! I'll post a video when I have tested.
I use a vernier caliper (is that what you call them?) to measure when jacking the engine, now I have bought a digital one with a Metric, Imperial & Fractional Display for extra precision.

What engine do you run?

aeneas

I have heard a lot of good about the Drag 3 both on the GS and the SS. I am thinking of re-arrangeing my wardrobe. Now I have a 28p ET Lightning, a 28p Hydromotive QVI OT and a 30p Mazco RE3 (one of Shook's XB-2002 props).
The ET I have not come to grips with. The boat feels as it is going to prop ride any second, very nervous. The Hydromotive Todd made for me is my all rounder (with load and in the rough) and I love it. The Mazco is simply sublime. It feels like I could let go of the steering wheel at 100mph... The boats is like on a string. Somebody worked his magic on that one.

As I am limited regarding rpm (Mercury 200xs) I will need a bigger prop for Vmax. I would like to try a 32p but I hear pitches that large can be tricky. Perhaps a Drag 3 or another Mazco would fit the bill...
I am also thinking of a smaller prop, maybe a 24p to get some kick *ss acceleration! My friends described my boat as "whiplash" with the 28p ET, perhaps a 24p sounds about right for such exercises..?

aeneas

When I swop to the hydraulic steering do I also have to change the trim button to Teleflex ProTrim? There is a new steering wheel in the kit from Allison.

aeneas

Today I got two packages from Allison Boats... The upgrade will hopefully start in the weekend...

Hydraulic Heavy duty steering kit with steering wheel and Protrim, new jackplate and some nuts and bolts... Excellent service and I have to say great value for money.

aeneas

Yes to new stuff! Even though I really like the dual cable steering it feels right to upgrade the boat to 2016 specs.
I will also fit the skid-planer I bought a couple of years back.

If anybody is interested in the cable steering in my boat and/or a set of used cables in good condition that I bought from Allison Boats last year just let me know. My current steering wheel with trim switch is also for sale (very nice condition).

I also have a complete cable steering from a XB-2003.