I'm alive(graphic pic)

chad202

First and foremost, I'm glad your ok Jim. It was good seeing you again.

Secondly, it was mentioned that roy or someone needs to look at his setup real closely. Well I was in the process of doing that. I went take a look at roys boat after spun. He changed jackplate and just slaped the motor on. He didn't know where the height was so I did some measuring on my boat and another ally I'm been tinkering with. The motor was like two inches below the pad so I raised it up to ruffly 1" above. I took his lip down to .020. The other boat I've been messing with, I took his down to .035. I and the owner run his motor 1.25" above the pad, loaded to fish and all is fine. I told Roy where I put it and will take it out when the conditions were conducive to see if was too high/too low or whatever. I typically can tell in the 60-70mph range if the motor is too high. Well everyone decided to go to the waterfall so we did. Roy told me he thought it was too high. I told him you can't know that when cruising 4000 rpm and running in 2' rollers. I told him I was going to run it and see when the wind layed down. Well I didn't stay at the water fall long cause I had to start cooking. I found out about Jim later. The reports I've gotten is that the bow of the boat looked extremely high(too high) and esspecially running in the water conditions. Not putting blame on anyone but noone should've been in that boat making any high speed running until I'd finish setting it up. Every boat is different and when setting up one to achieve max speeds, conditions must be perfect. What my attemp was to find a good fishing setup and light load, topend setup. I'm not claiming to be the know-all when it comes to allys cause I know I'm not. Sorry for rambling but I just figure sooner or later is was going to come up that I jacked his motor too high. It might've been, but I should've been the one to test it and see since I do know what an ally should feel like running well above the pad.

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

First and foremost, I'm glad your ok Jim. It was good seeing you again.

Secondly, it was mentioned that roy or someone needs to look at his setup real closely. Well I was in the process of doing that. I went take a ride in roys boat and when after roy spun, he changed jackplate and just slaped the motor on. He didn't know where the height was so I did some measuring on my boat and another ally I'm been tinkering with. Was motor was like two inches below the pad so I raised it up to ruffly 1" above. I took his lip down to .020. The other boat I've been messing with, I took his down to .035. I and the owner run his motor 1.25" above the pad, loaded to fish and all is fine. I told Roy where I put it and will take it out when the conditions were conducive to see if was too high/too low or whatever. I typically can tell in the 60-70mph range if the motor is too high. Well everyone decided to go to the waterfall so we did. Roy told me he thought it was too high. I told him you can't know that when cruising 4000 rpm and running in 2' rollers. I told him I was going to run it and see when the wind layed down. Well I didn't stay at the water fall long cause I had to start cooking. I found out about Jim later. The reports I've gotten is that the bow of the boat looked extremely high(too high) and esspecially running in the water conditions. Not putting blame on anyone but noone should've been in that boat making any high speed running until I'd finish setting it up. Every boat is different and when setting up one to achieve max speeds, conditions must be perfect. What my attemp was to find a good fishing setup and light load, topend setup. I'm not claiming to be the know-all when it comes to allys cause I know I'm not. Sorry for rambling but I just figure sooner or later is was going to come up that I jacked his motor too high. It might've been, but I should've been the one to test it and see since I do know what an ally should feel like running well above the pad.
I made the comment about looking at the setup, but it wasn't directed at you. Actually, I didn't even realize that you had been working on his boat. My point was just that if it had thrown two people out in such a short period of time, something wasn't right and should probably be adjusted before somebody gets hurt more seriously. Once might be an anomoly.....twice looks like a pattern.

chad202

Neal, it wasn't directed at you. Just figured something would come out sooner or later so I'd deal with it now. The two incidents may or may not be related since so much as changed. Lip work, T-tab work, different setupback, less weight of setback, different prop, water conditions, load, you name it, it's changed. I'll be looking at it soon and going a little further into detail.

padura

Hey Red, glad to hear you are doing ok. Man, I was worried about you. Been getting the updates from Andy and Roy. You take care of yourself. My prayers are with you and your family.

RedAllison

Chad I think the ONLY people who truly could possibly blame you are Roy and myself and I KNOW you had nothing to do with ANY of this. You my bro and I wouldn't blame you one iota. I don't think Roy blames anyone but himself and I've tried to tell him it wasn't his fault either, Roy man I'm just glad we'll all be able to laugh about this one day. Chit happens as they say. Roy look onda brightside, you and I are a member of a very rare club, the "TRUE 100MPH CLUB" if you will. It's one thing to break 100, but it's another to get chunked OUT at nearly 100 and live to tell about it. We have experienced ALL that that speed has to offer. :big grin (Just DON'T ask for a repeat performance, no encore from this cowboy!)

I remember Roy saying something either Friday or Saturday on the phone with me about the bow being very high when I came by the waterfall where you could see it. But like I said, the "feel" inside the boat didn't indicate that it was high. If anything it felt low like the sensation of flying in a GS. I felt I had the keel line up and lifted vs just simple bow lift, but obviously that wasn't the case via the witnesses. I just knew that by doing 7000Rs with a 28" prop that was hooked up I knew I was in the upper 90s so I knew it had to have gotten the hull free to get that fast in the first place. An XB03 won't go that fast if the keel line is dragging through the water.

I guess all of this is part of the uncertainty of high speed on the water, sometimes you just don't know WHAT caused something to happen and with constantly changing conditions and surfaces you never know exactly what'll happen after changes are made again.

Well anyway, I'm off this morning to Memphis to be fully checked out by an Orthopedic expert and already this morning my left arm started spasming and hurting like holy hell as I tried to get out of bed this morning. :cuss This chit HURTS and AINT fun, feels like lightining bolts running through my arms, shoulders and neck when I twist just the wrong way. Makes me nearly black out, takes my breath and nearly brings tears too my eyes. I wouldn't wish this crap on my worst enemy but I guess it's made me realize how much of a truly lucky man I am. I have THE greatest family and friends and look forward to enjoying the rest of my life with everyone. :at the bar

Thanks again too everyone for all the calls, PMs, emails and well wishes. This truly is DA GREATEST FAMILY onda web. I'm just happy to be a part of it.
RA

RedAllison

Hey Red, glad to hear you are doing ok. Man, I was worried about you. Been getting the updates from Andy and Roy. You take care of yourself. My prayers are with you and your family.
BRO I BEEN LOOKIN FOR YOU. I want to THANK YOU for driving me back too the ramp after my spill. I don't remember yall putting me in the boat but I remember you driving me and that look on your face told me I was worse off than I felt like. I'm sure I was in shock not only from the physical strain but the cold water as well. THANK GOD for Andy, yourself and all the other good buds there. I didn't even have the mind to think about my own boat on the bank but there it was already getting loaded up and handled by the other guys. Yall sure took care of me while I just stood around holding a towel over my ear and gash while bleeding allover the place and saying, "Oh I'm ok". :embarassed

Thanks again bro, I owe you.
RA

john4utvols

Damn Jim, haven't been on in a while and i get on to find a pic of your head laced up like a football. I told everbody the Allisons are the most dangerous boats a man can buy. I am scared of mine, afer blowing out twice i learned what the boat likes and dislikes. Get well soon Jim.

Andy I don't agree with ya bud. I feel like alot of these guys are trying new stuff, pushing them to there limits, and alot of them are lacking experience in Allison boats that run high speeds. You can not jump into a A-boat and expect to drive one to its limit. I have learned many lessons on what to do and what not to do in A-boats. I feel A-Boats are the safest boats out there from 0-90 and they are the most superior bass and racing V-hull made. You will never have to worry about the re-sale value on one, or if its going to hold up. I just don't think Darris intended on everyone trying to push these boats to there limits, If he did he wouldn't have put that sticker in them that says recommended motor 115-150, and I also believe it says something about Only an experienced driver needs to drive this boat. Thats one thing Jaco never would do, He would not sell a A-boat to a young inexperienced driver with a 225 or higher motor on it.

ziemer

Jim, gald to hear you're doing ok, and hope ya get yourself healed up quick. :beer:

bigtis

Jim, I'm glad your still with us. Roy, I'm glad your okay also. God was with yall.

I've hooked 70% of the Allison's I've owned.

BUT, It's only because I was doing what was before stated though, Pushing them to their limits. I've havn't been thrown out though. In all my experiences, especially with xb2003's. the lip was put there for a reason. All the boats I had without lips or with less than factory lip were the boats that were alot more UNpredictable, and required alot more finess and seat time to maintain a consistently good handling ride. sometimes it may make a little more mph with a particular setup, I know cause I've seen first hand, but I don't feel as though it's worth the difference in handling characteristics. on the lip situation, I suppose it's to each his own.

ONCE again, glad yall are still with us.

Last edited:

john4utvols

Red glad to see your *** is up and chatting with us. Sorry bud I'm not going to give ya any pitty, Ya *** should have knew better. Ya jump into an unfamilar boat and try to break the speed record in 2' swells on pickwick. Carry your *** to the chiropractor it will help. LOL
Oh and don't worry about trying it again, because you will. It takes about a year and then you will get that itch to go fast again. But you will have that angel poking you on the shoulder saying "remember what happened last time," then that Devil adrenaline junking says "give it hell you will be alright," So you push the gas pedal down and hit the trim and start praying that everything goes alright. And then you get use to going fast again.

Let us know what the Doc says.

bigtis

But you will have that angel poking you on the shoulder saying "remember what happened last time," then that Devil adrenaline junking says "give it hell you will be alright," So you push the gas pedal down and hit the trim and start praying that everything goes alright. And then you get use to going fast again.

:beer:100% I agree...!!!!
Especially in your own boat...

Hydropromax

I've love my Allison, but have decided that it CAN be dangerous with weight in the wrong place or another person not in the right place, the wrong prop or prop height. JOHN, i'm not saying all Allisons are dangerous. They can be dangerous with weight and set up issues.

padura

Hey Red, I only did what any of you would have done. I was very concerned but didn't want to make you worry so I was trying my best to just get you out of there and to the hospital. You took a lick bro. When you get a chance, pm me your number. Just want to check up on you and all. I am gonna call Andy today sometime and most likely will talk to Roy as well. Let me know if you need anything bro. I am just glad that you are still here with us. I will see you the next time I get up that way. Take care my brother.

john4utvols

JOHN, i'm not saying all Allisons are dangerous. They can be dangerous with weight and set up issues.
I know what you meant Andy, But somebody else might have took it wrong. It just sounded bad. I agree with ya on the set-up. Its kinda like my old supercharged mustang (500hp) I had. I could lay the throttle to the floor and keep it straight all the way to 140 with no problem, But I let one of my friends drive it, and he about killed us. He was not use to the car, and what kind of power it had.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Red, I felt lucky to get to talk to you on the phone the day after!! It was good just to hear your voice after the posts that had been on here.

You and your family are in our prayers every night. Personally I am GRATEFUL to God above that this did not turn out MUCH worse.

That picture of you says it all, it is by the grace of God that you are still with us.

You need anything at all I'm there for ya, GET HEALED UP SOON!!!!

whipper

Red, I felt lucky to get to talk to you on the phone the day after!! It was good just to hear your voice after the posts that had been on here.

You and your family are in our prayers every night. Personally I am GRATEFUL to God above that this did not turn out MUCH worse.

That picture of you says it all, it is by the grace of God that you are still with us.

You need anything at all I'm there for ya, GET HEALED UP SOON!!!!
Me two nicely said!

XXXR2001

Glad you're gonna be ok! Try not to beat yourself up too much because what you did is something many of us have done. You just happen to get bit a little worse than most. The 2003 hull is probably one of the most unforgiving hulls that Allison currently produces. There is nothing necessarily wrong with it; it's just hard to get a feel for it without spending a bunch of time in one be it an xb or xs. Hope you heal up quickly!

Here is a little photo of the day I learned my driving lesson in my grandsport. Shoulder + fiberglass = crunch :punch

Attachments

RedAllison

Glad you're gonna be ok! Try not to beat yourself up too much because what you did is something many of us have done. You just happen to get bit a little worse than most. The 2003 hull is probably one of the most unforgiving hulls that Allison currently produces. There is nothing necessarily wrong with it; it's just hard to get a feel for it without spending a bunch of time in one be it an xb or xs. Hope you heal up quickly!

Here is a little photo of the day I learned my driving lesson in my grandsport. Shoulder + fiberglass = crunch :punch
XXX I had an XB2003 with a 225SS for 8 years before I got my XB21. I LUV em, will continue to drive em. :beer:

Ready for some :gone fishing & :relax:
RA

Darth VMAX

Dang. I just have to say that the GOOD LORD has some unfinished business with you RA. Thank him you are still here. I agree with you 100% and am onboard with "there is just to many more important things to live for" than to push anything to the limit. I probably have one of the slowest XB2002's but I don't give a rip about that.

Glad your going to be OK bud.