Fastest Vee Bottom

Kcraft

I'll take RBT's contributions any day over any of Yellow's stuff... Just saying :relax:
Not the one you guys are talking about and I don't know who's it is but she is one of my favourite 01's :cool

Last edited:

RBT

It is, real sad.
That kcraft was Casey gugells boat.

Darth VMAX

well DARTHV according to mr.RBT:shock: .........FOR YEARS somebodies BEEN TELLIN U LIES - TRAID V21 was KIN to a ALLISONgt20 :LMAO:
I have to say and I mean no disrespect to anyone regarding this. But so many people have reiterated this over the years since I joined here (2001) and many whom have forgotten more about Allison Boats and their history than I will ever know, it's just quit the shake up to hear something of the opposite. I have always enjoyed reading and learning from many that are in this business and have a great respect for you that are.
RBT, what makes you say this. I really am curious since it goes against what many have been saying for years.

Thanks

Last edited:

RBT

Darth, here is why.
I have know Wally for 15 years and we have talked about this many times. And like you and our buddy yellow. I too have heard that the v21 is a pop of the gt. They certainly look similar. BUT, the fact that they are different lengths, different widths, have different deadrise, v21 has a variable deadrise, different number of strakes in different positions, a different width pad etc. if that makes it a pop it's a pop. Other than that they are both vee bottoms and pending on who you talk to all vee bottoms with a pad are Allison pops.
A pop is a direct copy, this is certainly not.

whipper

RBT i agree with the fact that they are different in the ways you described. I certainly don't know enough about all the facts on what's what or who designed this or that. I have also heard and from good sources about the similarities between more than one boat or another. Even with the changes made to call it Wallys own the {basic} frame work of the design has inspirations and enough design cues to resemble the GT20. So had the GT20 never ever had eyes laid on it im pretty confident the V21 would look alot different or never been built at all.

Adding some differences to make it better? Better with bigger HP and larger so another set of strakes is required. Friendlier, wider platform. Darris makes boats to perform faster with less HP thats his whole design motivation. Not being biased but for sure it will sound like it. :] But Allison designed the very first Pad vee bottom boat. So if ya what to get down to it then every pad vee is a copy of that design feature. What other features and designs top and bottom around that design feature so that they can differentiate them selves from Allison and call it there own I think is great. But no one is re-inventing the wheel hear such as Allison has contributed to the Vee hull. I under stand everyones ego gets in there way and to say I designed this and that. But its simple not true. No different than the light bulb. Everything is a copy of Thomas Edison's original design. Even the new halogens. because with out the original premiss of even knowing a light bulb can elluminate there wouldn't be any new designs because we would all still be lighting candles and lanterns.:beer:

So no the V21 is not a {pop} of the original GT20 mold. But the basis for its design are surely {inspired} by the GT20 I think is fair to say.

Last edited:

Dave Hensley

At the end of the day, no matter how good the graphics look, or the paint on an XR2001 I always hate to see the factory gel and styling lines hidden.

whipper

Imitation is the highest form of flattery
So true.. I really dont give a darn either way who built what and when. But when a boat {looks} so close visually regardless of changes hear or there its a pretty hard argument to prove that a style cue wasn't intentional in the mind of who built it.
Having said that I cant help but admire what wally has done to bring the V21 into an era were theres not to many V boats in the 20-21ft range that can accept the power of today and get speeds well over 100 with relative safety. So in that respect the V21 gets super high points for doing what hardly anyone else can achieve today. Without thinking to hard about there's probably only 3 or 4 vee hulls 20-21ft that will accept a new motor of 2013 and do 110+ that seats 4 min. Way more can do 100 but not 110+.

But Allison does hold all the world records for fastest single engined out board Vee hull regardless of engine. Just not the fastest with the new heavy motors from merc,Yami or Bombardier.. i think that will change.

Im sure Allisons will get there again as it has in the past. They are the undisputed king of 2.5lts and less without Question. All the new power is 500lbs+ 250HP and over. We have the 21ft Bass boat that will hit 100 with a 300xs. Thats pretty much all that's in the stable unless there is a 23ft Grand Sport {unicorn :]} that actually is going to be produced in the next little while..{Wet Dreams}. BTW the name of my new 23ft GS.:big grin If so then the whole game of SOB will change dramatically into Alison's favor again. But into a new category they never held a record in before. Fastest single engine SOB over 21ft.:laughing

Last edited:

xb03fs

If someone setup a xb21 prosport to run instead of fish maybe some of those heavy motor records will fall. I don't think anyone has unloaded one and put the time and effort in like some of the stroker boys ie blueprinted pad, modded pad, blueprinted gearcase and a truckload of props....most never have had more than a 250 strapped to the tail let alone a simon 300x or a hydrotec 300 yammy......

The thought has crossed my mind that extreme speeds may be suited to a 2+2 so the console downforce is not the limiting factor....even through the prosport is known to be faster all things equal below whatever that point is

Loaded to fish my xb21 2+2 is within 3 mph of what my xb2003 is so is the xb21 prosport is truly 2-3 mph than a 2+2 the xb21 prosport gives up no mph over a xb2003 prosprt just a bit of acceleration with a 2.5 motor 21s....caveats I had my xb2003 center steer so unloaded weight was noticeably faster, but the 21 cannot be unloaded I actually have to add lead shot to run solo

Last edited:

catfish123

If you are saying, although I'm not sure that is what you are saying, that an XB21 Prosport and an XB2003 with equal power will run the same top end numbers, I'm not buying it. I would have to see an XB21 Prosport run 97.1 mph with a 225X, and then I'll change my mind. Loaded, I would have to see it run 93 mph with 2 people, etc, and I just don't think it will.

xb03fs

all I am saying is with equal loads, 3 fishing batteries, my fishing gear and tools being carried. I am within 2-3 mph of what the xb2003 ran. It is the exact same motor than I ran on my xb2003. IF a xb21 prosport is 2-3 mph faster than a xb21 2+2 that is exactly what I am saying.... A xb2003 would kill it in a drag race however.. Now empty a center steer xb2003 no troller and only one battery and the xb2003 out accelerates it even more and puts 5-6 mph on it instead of 2-3.

catfish123

What is your "loaded" speed and is that with the "load" and just you in the boat?

xb03fs

With the following load solo speeds are 82/83 (best of 83.8 average of upstream and down stream runs would be 82.6) in the xb21. In the xb2003 loaded with the same load it was a 85/86 mph boat.(light in the xb2003 I saw 90.3.

My full Load ( I know its light I am not a serious fisherman but was the same in both boats) includes:
2 group 24 trolling batteries passenger side
1 Group 24 cranking battery center
1 tool box passenger side rear box
1 spare prop passenger side rear box
1 tackle bag passenger side front box
1 filet knife front passenger box
1 mushroom anchor passenger side rear box
a bottle of Aces passenger side rear box
a spare jug of oil passenger side rear box
about 5 fishing poles
one stick it anchor
25 lb bag of lead so far best place has been rear passenger seat (not present in xb2003 so 21 actually loaded heavier
6 life jackets driver side

Last edited:

GotMyAlly

My 21 is about 2 MPH faster than my XB2003 [highlight]with an additional 25HP on the tail of the 21[/highlight].

With the same power, I don't think there's any way a 21 will run with an 03. It's just a bigger, heavier boat and likewise needs more power to carry it.

I believe the 21 is more aerodynamic than the XB2003 and that makes it run really good for it's size, but it still has to punch a large hole in the wind and it doesn't make up for the weight.

The 21 also seems to have more natural tail lift built in. I think that's why it isn't as affected by weight in the boat. That's great for carrying a load.....but it works against you in stripped form going for big numbers.