Fastest Vee Bottom

michael j giesler

I know someone that would off set there stv also said it didn't dog track after he did it..
Yep I know of a mirage set up like that to my dad looked at it and said I wouldn't have thought of that I said it wouldn't work well I was wrong it ended up being king of the rumble now as for an ally being off set that I would like to see I wouldn't want to drive it

FFWD

I have not run a center steer anything off center before but we did run a XTB21 2" off center. We had a jack plate made that moved left to right instead of up and down. Moving the engine off to the left allowed us to take out 75lbs of ballast from the rod box. The boat run a tad over a hundred and handled great. Here is a video of it running. If you look close at the beginning you can see the offset jack plate.

http://vimeo.com/3427008

Last edited:

RBT

Cool, I have never seen that before. Nor, have I seen that cowling either. Pretty damn cool.

FFWD

I took that video at the 1987 NOA speed trails the same day that Glenn ran 129. We were there with the XTB21/ Mariner 2.4 MOD VP trying to run over 100 ready to fish with trolling motor, all batteries and gear.

James I don't have any video of your boat with the 280 on it only pictures. The best I ever saw was 104 but I never really tried to go any faster. That was fast enough in a GS.

whipper

I took that video at the 1987 NOA speed trails the same day that Glenn ran 129. We were there with the XTB21/ Mariner 2.4 MOD VP trying to run over 100 ready to fish with trolling motor, all batteries and gear.

James I don't have any video of your boat with the 280 on it only pictures. The best I ever saw was 104 but I never really tried to go any faster. That was fast enough in a GS.
Cool thanks. Shes still looking like new. You working on any XR,s or RR these days? I guess lake Murry will be filling up right about now. Still below Zero and 5ft of snow hear. The ice wont be off until May or June!!

FFWD

It has felt like Canada winter here. Cold and rainy, ice, and snow. Tomorrow it is going to be raining and a wind chill around 40. And you know we are not used to that. It has been a great year for people selling bread and milk:). Working on a XB2003 and a STV at the moment.

whipper

Bread and milk. Sounds soggy. Post some pics when you get them ready I love the way your boats look when your done. You know how to setup a boat!:beer:

Lotus 50

Question for RBT. Is the SRV the same bottom as the old 20'Charger V bottom? If not, do you now the dimensions?

I am curious how the SRV compares in size to a '20' foot Ally. Note that the XB2002 is smaller than the SS (narrower and not as deep according to website figures). Does anyone have any dimensions for the XR2001 and XR2002?

whipper

Triad SRV has a longer centre line than all the 20ft Allisons. More a 21 than 20fter. They have a Vee bottom ,very wide flat pad than the GS and SS. The pad is closer in width to the XR2002. Nice hull and arguably one of the smallest hulls that a 300XS or 300hp+ green motor of any kind suits well on a Vee hull. Capable of very high speeds with big power. Very very formidable.
The STV Charger has a more STV Tunnel bottom. They are a Mod VP hull. Stoker and YT Hydrostream type bottom. Tunnel Vee.. 1000-1100 lbs 20fter with a 6,8 beam. There is for sure some styling cues from the rubrail up and in the stern area but the bottom design and bow to the chine are completely different.

The old Chargers with a Deep Vee were made by MC Products out of Toronto. The Charger SK,SV and DL as far as I understand from Charger Boats inc around 1980?. I would say the deep vee Charger design is far removed from the SRV styling compared to the STV Charger MVP styling cues? The owners of the molds mentioned changed hand a few times and by late 80,s- 1990ish the Charger Vee hulls were fazing out and only the Mod VP style remained. STV Chargers were all MVP bottom. The vee hulled Chargers molds last I heard were in John Andersons possession but that was a while ago?

STV history is very complicated :]

RBT can correct me if Im wrong but Ive always had a deep love of all these hulls since they first came out so I tryed to answer best to my knowledge as I was bored.:big grin Sorry couldn't help myself Dave..

Last edited:

RBT

Firstly, the triad is called a v21, it is a Wally Lamkin design. Absolutely no relation the the srv (Roark summerford) or the Allison gt 20

Secondly the "srv" is made from molds I made with the help of john Spaeth. The original srv molds are here, but sucombed to time and weather and are no longer useable.

When Roark was done with a design, he sold the molds to the conzano brothers who owned charger boats in concord ontario.
They got:
- the Stv needle nose (aka the ltv) with the narrow race deck.
- the Stv sprint with the pleasure wide cockpit deck
- the Stv sv 20 foot bottom mold ( the same bottom as the srv)
- the Stv 20 foot mod vp bottom
- the Stv pleasure deck for the above two molds

When Roark sold the Stv company to the carpenter brothers they got:
-the pro comp ski deck
-the river rocket deck
- the mod vp deck
-the euro deck
- the drag bottom
- the ski bottom
- the mod vp bottom
- the srv bottom
-the srv deck

And possibly more the I don't know about.

When Wally took over, he got all of the above except:
- the pro comp ski deck
- the drag bottom
- the srv bottom
- the srv race deck ( which uses the rear seat or race fairing of the pro comp ski)

These were purchased by Dave macpherson.

All Wally's molds were then bought by jack Barsh.

That should be pretty accurate.

Lastly,
John Anderson has a copy of the needle nose race deck Stv (ltv), that has some bottom changes. These molds were made by motion powerboats ( offshore race boats). The molds are in a barn at Quinn's marine in pefferlaw on.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

RT

Lotus 50

Thanks. I knew the 20 Charger tunnel V and V bottoms had the same deck, and that the tunnel was STV. Now I know the rest.

While you are doing history, is the Charger DL a Linder design? Does the DL bow flare more than the Challenger? My brother has a DL. Very cool, but not nearly as fast as my SS or as good in rough water. I thought the shallow V at the front must hurt the DL in the rough.

RBT

The dl is a Linder design, the bottom he built. Under licence, the same conzano brothers were building the Canadian challenger 21 for Ron mander. When they got the 18 bottom the took a challenger 21 deck and layer it over the boat and cut it to fit, made a mold and the rest is history. That is why the challenger and dl have the same cockpit and windshield.

RT

whipper

Nice! well said to make it clear as mud. The history of all those molds is testament to there design. Lots of boat builders wanted to get there hands on them to make a great boat and bottom. Awesome description of the changing of hands.
So Dave Macpherson has the SRV mold for the Bottom and race deck. Is that who makes the SRV today if you needed one built? Do you know what the center line length is of the SRV and beam? Also Pad width. The pads look very wide like Borises XR.

RBT

The "srv", the original summerford molds were far form useable. They have since been destroyed.
I found one of the original 8 summerford built srv's in New York. I always wanted one, so I bought it. Got it home only to discover it was horribly rotten. So I decided to restore it. In the middle of all this I decided to use it as a plug to make new molds. This was done at john spaeths. Hydrostream Canada.
The new molds allowed for building the boat with infusion. So all new srv's are built at hydrostream Canada. Mine and the yellow boat are all Kevlar/carbon infused layup. The white boat is infused but all glass.
Dave macpherson no longer has any molds.
I do t recall the length or width, it is near 21 feel long.

RT