Fastest Vee Bottom

whipper

Theres a funny thread on S&F were the guys are all shooting for the crown of fastest single vee bottom {green} powdered boat on the planet.
Can someone strap a 300XS on an XR2001 with a 35 pitch prop and do a 120+ pass once to put them out of there misery.:beer: Then put your 300 drag back on.:beer::twisted evil

Fl Boy in ILL

That would be a lot of work, the Drag and the 300XS just don't interchange, the last XR2001 I sold which was a RR went 102 0r 103 right out of the box with a brand new 200XS with a 28 from Todd. The big block motor will work but you gotta change the balance with a much heavier motor on the back. Sure sould be fun tho

Rick

RBT

Ya is is easy whipper, you can drive.
Don't worry chummy will have them covered.

Darth VMAX

I remember back when I frequented S&F there was a guy that had a pic of his XR2001 with one of those old 3.4L Merc Racing V6 motors (T4?). Said it handled terribly, but that was many years ago...

propmanjay

I would like to see an xb2002 powered with a short mid and light carbon cowl 3.2. I think it would be a winning combo.

whipper

Thats sick *** motor right there Darth!!

Ya I don't mean keep a motor like that on an Allison RR just for one long real careful run and long slow down. Video taped with GPS. Then Allison can claim the Green motor single engine vee title also.:beer:

RBT I will drive it no problem there. If I had the funds I would have somthing like that right now trust me. I know what I want but need to win the lottery first.:banghead its driving me crazy!

If those guys are on that thread are pushing those hulls to 115-118 theres an Allison tat can do better. Just hasn't been setup yet. I say this because there isnt a hull in that thread thats getting 115+ with a 300xs that will beat an Allison power to power in top end with a 2.5. Actually not even close. An XR runs the best in the 120 mph range heck they do it in the quarter. So to have time and water to run with the right wheel and a lot weight shifting to get the hull back in balance they should cut the wind just the same. Feel like slug compared to a 300 drag but should still turn any sized wheel ya want to a real fast number given a long safe straight away with no wind. You would really need a long straight to back off also. That would be the scariest part I bet backing out to under 100. I thing chummys up to the task.:twisted evil

Last edited:

michael j giesler

I think chummy's going to put up a number around 116-122 he will be driving a nice xr2002 that drives very nice and smooth when I drove that ally it was on a rail and I think it's got Jimmy Hensley 200xs on it Rick I think your ally rr with 8grand box and a little set-up would have gone 120+

RBT

Some of those boats carry weight a lot better on the tail than the xr2001 or xr2002. Whipper the srv is as big as a gransport, it is also faster and safer. Ask anyone that as run 120 in xr2001 is if it is easy, getting there is one thing, slowing it down is another. This isn't "easy"

Darth VMAX

Darth,

How much would that thing weigh set up like that?
I am not sure. Typically Wayne can shave some weight off with the short mid and the lightweight cowl. I don't know if this one has a stock cowl or if its been lightened. I am taking my Allie to him on the 14th and I will take a close look at it. I sure would love to bolt her up and give it a try on my XB2002. Would have to change jack-plates. I would think you would want to go to a 3.5 to 4" set-back with that beast on an XB2002 (I am running a 10" hyd)

This is THE motor for anyone wanting a green big-block Yammie.

whipper

Some of those boats carry weight a lot better on the tail than the xr2001 or xr2002. Whipper the srv is as big as a gransport, it is also faster and safer. Ask anyone that as run 120 in xr2001 is if it is easy, getting there is one thing, slowing it down is another. This isn't "easy"
Ive driven and been in lots of SRV triads. One we were doing 110 and it was OK. That one had a 300 drag moded strapped to the back They do handle well but in my opinion a GS is much smoother feeling partly from more wind protection. I felt like my face was about to rip off at 110.:shock: I would say more just a different experience than any thing else. There is for sure a lot more to driving an Allison at speed and slowing down. I prefer the GS thats why I bought one to learn how to drive one. Not knocking an SRV at all. They can go fast with lots of HP. But pretty sure a GS is faster with less HP like a 225 or 260? The only GS I know about that had a 300+ hP motor did 112 and 110 no problem. Ive never heard of anyone else since with 300+ like the SRV guys have to do 110-115. The 330 sominized 300pm GS had more left over but he never went past 112 he told me. We have some very fast boats in these parts also but most guys don't even talk about. A buddy of mine goes 135 in his STV lots but never talks about. Hes been doing those speeds for decades. I know another guy that never heard of S&F or all these boards and regularly can be seen going over 120 if hes not flipping the thing over and skipping across the water.:banghead He took me for a ride once also to around 110 never again in a tunnel!!

I dont know what Allison will do it, maybe mine one day thats my plan. But theres got to be one that can do 120 with a 300XS with a 2.5 sporty. Probably going to be an XB 2002. It would be cool to see what modifications and setup it would take make a RR accept a 300xs for a special run i think. The biggest problem is going to be the lack of revs and finding a prop with enough pitch that behaves well enough on a light hull as not to barrel roll. Thats the biggest hurdle i see. Moving the fulcrum around to run as designed with all that weight is the easy part.

Darth VMAX

Is that really a "green" motor anymore, though?
Yes, is still an HPDI and they still get really good economy when compared to a comparable EFI. Will it be as good as a stock, I would guess not but honestly don;t know. I do remember B&WB did an article of Hydro-Tec performing the different phase kits on a 250 Vmax HPDI rigged to a 202 Blazer.

Last edited:

Darth VMAX

The biggest problem is going to be the lack of revs and finding a prop with enough pitch that behaves well enough on a light hull as not to barrel roll. Thats the biggest hurdle i see. Moving the fulcrum around to run as designed with all that weight is the easy part.
Yes, and in the case of the 380hp Yamaha I am not sure but I think its still at a 6150 limiter. So with that, your right a 35-36" prop would be needed and I am not sure that would be enough to keep it off the limiter with that much torque and HP on a small lightweight performance hull. Then you run into the "issues" of running such a high pitched wheel for a long stretch.

propmanjay

DBR 300xs has a 7000 limiter and over 340' lbs of torque. No port work just a reprogram. More than enough power and torque to get it done. Not to discount Yamaha they are a beast, just a lot more work.

Darth VMAX

Yes, but they are still about 55 hp less than the Yammie. Still, I see your point - much simpler and less expensive. Seems like it basically turns a 300xs into 300x specs. One point, HT with their kits are easy for them and they can do these pretty quickly- even with a port and blueprint if you want that.

I suppose in the spirit of this thread one would just need to find the optimum combo of HP, torque and RPM's in a motor that the boat is capable of supporting. The green motors are cool and the Yammie HPDI's are a beast, but 380hp is about all your going to get out of a modded "bass" motor. Seems like the EFI platform would still be better. Aren't there some 300x motors out there pushing 400 hp now?

Last edited: