CRT web site is live!!!

Dave Hensley

That and the fact that billet motors can be repaired so much easier than cast. Welding cast is just a mess and unreliable. The billet crank will have larger journals and if i remember right a billet, stroker crank for a Drag was around $5000. I don't know what Auto-Verdi rods cost but maybe $800-$1000 a piece. Merc pistons with rings have been $2300 for six. Wizzards are $1400?? I would say Matthews will fall in there some where and I hope they have a good ring. He has done so much work over the years to be fast I would say the piston will be top notch. Wondering now if Mercury is going to drop ring and piston production along with blocks, cranks and rods. Matthew liked big cubic inch motors too. A fat block is probably in the very near future. The OMC boys will have their hands full. Times they are a changing....

Last edited:

whipper

I dont know the difference for prepping a drag block and glad you have the experience and cost break down to say these are priced well for what your getting. That makes me want one even more. :cool: Thats what I gathered also with the sleeves. Great idea along with the {pucks} 340 hp or so porting for me sounds about right for an all round tune for lake running and a little recreational dragging with the GS. Hulls speed is reached with a 260 so 340 should give me some punch and a little better consumption. Just need to start gathering the rest of the components now so when i get one i can put it all together. Fuel regulator, stator and light flywheel, switchbox, 15inch ros mid,SM lower. I could use some of the stuff off the promax but i really always wanted a 15 incher so ill be looking for a doner for that stuff. I have the ACU and a fuel rail and few other parts. Its like a modulated drag power plant. Put it all to geather and go. Need some repairs. Buy the parts and put it back together. Nice!!

whipper

OK thanks this is what Ive been waiting for for a long time. i knew it was in the works just didnt know when! now our dollar sucks off course! Thats OK though Ill just wait until it improves a little then ill sell some investments ive been accumulating for this purpose. As well as the 23fter. It will be a bit before my ducks are in a row though. This motor isnt going anywhere except to new levels of performance. It will be interesting to see how many hours before a re ring with this setup. They say it runs way cooler with much better heat transfer so maybe get another 50+ hours out of it compared to a s3000 or 260 with nic? At any rate the posses will be a lot simpler than present motors for this and price wise also. Thats one of the big reasons why i never went 260 a long time ago. For this work i would have to send everything state side at great cost from hear! shipping and duty would have added another 1000+ to the bill every few years. With this motor i can have spares that I could replace myself. Thats a huge savings for me way up hear.

Lotus 50

Is a 320 hp 'small' block going to be suitable for idling, tubing, skiing, lugging in rough water with a boat full of people, etc? Or just racing and going fast?

xb03fs

Sounds like you can have pucks for torque and family days and pucks for high speed show off days... Like changing props but changing torque band as well. Would need a laptop with brucato curve for each set of
Pucks

whipper

They run real cool apparently so at 320hp i would think they would be great for rec days? For this block it sounds like the lower hp end is easy on things with the HD crank and journals. The HD crank and bearings makes the 2.5 more like a 2.8 Lt ive heard.

Dave Hensley

CRT just announced due to the demand at the Miami Boat Show they would produce a run of blocks that accept stock Mercury High Performance internals. Oh my!!!!

Jon

Supporting Member
You said based on demand - were they taking deposits or were people just ordering on the spot? Demand refers to the quantity that the consumer wishes to buy. I am wondering if they are basing their "demand" on actual orders or interest. Also, did anyone find out how many they can produce or a production timeline?

Dave Hensley

They announced they would make a run with stock Mercury sized main journals. That was based on feedback from websites, FB and show visitors. That block can then be modified to accept the new. larger journal crank when the Merc junk runs out.

whipper

At 1.6 million per machine and 4 milling machines after the first 500 motors built they will be in the chips. With the hundreds of thousands of boats this motor would work well for I would think they would sell 500 as fast as they can make them!! For you guys with lots of parts the smaller journal blocks with up grades later is a smart move to get the blocks out there. CRT has nailed it with this block!! The production of boats like the GS,SS,XB03 and 02 XR,s has really slowed without power options suitable for what people buy these hulls for. How sweet would a new hull of any of those models be with a mild 320hp crt motor colour matched hanging of the back!! Even the new 23ft hulls SS and GS with one of these motors!! Talk about getting a state of the art package!! What better motor to compliment one of the worlds most state of the art boats!! ;)

whipper

Fun fact. In 2014 there were 15.8 Million boats registered in the USA alone!! Staggering! There are 75000 people registered on Scream and Fly. out of this many boat owners pretty sure 500 is a very light number for sales of this type of power right now and into the future. Who is making midsection's right now? Madefi used to make 2.5 one but only makes the 3.0LT ones now? Maybe there's a market to redesign and produce these also now for the CRT motors?

Lotus 50

Geiger Tec is making 12" maids and he is in Ontario so the exchange is good. I am still not sure a 320 HP small block would be tame enough for me. Is a 12" mid usable on a cottage boat?

nort

Geiger Tec is making 12" maids and he is in Ontario so the exchange is good. I am still not sure a 320 HP small block would be tame enough for me. Is a 12" mid usable on a cottage boat?
Brian is also doing a 15" now as well as the 12".
They're going to be available with different size side plates so a set back can be avoided.
A 12" is not what you'd want for a cottage boat.

Jon

Supporting Member
Does Geiger list pricing anywhere? How much is the 12" mid? All of their products look really nice.

Dave Hensley

Correct me if I am wrong but Brian and Cody do the light weight clamp and swivel similar to what Galen pioneered back in the day. The mid is a Mercury factory can. The work they do is like jewelry and drops a ton off the transom. Obscure parts only used by racers are going to become mainstream in the very near future. Remember the 1957 Corvette had fuel injection......

Reactions: scj

nort

Correct me if I am wrong but Brian and Cody do the light weight clamp and swivel similar to what Galen pioneered back in the day. The mid is a Mercury factory can. The work they do is like jewelry and drops a ton off the transom. Obscure parts only used by racers are going to become mainstream in the very near future. Remember the 1957 Corvette had fuel injection......
You are correct.
RBT & Galen produced the original ones, can't remember exactly what year.
The ones that Brian & Cody are producing have some very subtle changes and yes, the can is a Merc factory 12" piece.
They drop a pile of weight, can't remember exactly how much but if I recall it's around 35 lbs.
Brian has produced a 15" for both the Merc 2.5 and 3.0.
He's making them available with different size side plates to eliminate the need for a separate set back bracket.
Not sure on prices but I'll find out the best way to get in touch with Brian and post something.