CRT web site is live!!!

nort

Who told you 10k??
I've heard it's considerably more....and that gets you a block, front half & heads only.
I hope you're right Whipper, I'll be all over it at 10k!!

Dave Hensley

What nort said!!!!! Whipper might be a bit light on the pricing.......way light. I have two rotating assemblies just looking for a home.

Last edited:

Jon

Supporting Member
For $10k I would be all over it. That would be the last motor you ever need to buy.

Jon

Supporting Member
If these do turn out to be a decent price, what is that going to do to the 2.5 market as it exists today? I can see drags and 280's falling WAAAAY off.

scj

That boat looks better right side up................Last time I seen it, it was being towed upside down at Jasper.

Jon

Supporting Member
That boat looks better right side up................Last time I seen it, it was being towed upside down at Jasper.
That is the boat that barrel rolled off the line? First gen motor on it, right?

Dave Hensley

If these do turn out to be a decent price, what is that going to do to the 2.5 market as it exists today? I can see drags and 280's falling WAAAAY off.
Remind me not to take any stock market advice from you Jon:LMAO:.....Cranks, rods, intakes, injectors, reed plates, reed cages, fuel rails, ECU's, flywheels, electrics, brackets......all will be NLA from Mercury very soon. Most folks that buy a CRT will be racers who have that stuff on hand. They will be light years ahead of where they are now with a CRT over a stock 280 or Drag. If you walk by the top class boats and look at the play doh patches on the sides of the block where they have been ground through you will get the point. What will be really nice to see is aftermarket packages to dress the block out with ZERO Mercury made parts. I am wondering what classes the motor will be legal to run in ODBA and DSRA? Matthew's best market will be the Sugar Daddy, sheet heads that Merc caters to......and I will bet Mother Merc brings all of it's political weight to bear in that sand box...no pun intended. No matter how it falls out he has built a beautiful piece. If you know of any 280/300's that have hit rock bottom let me know. I hope he can't build the CRT fast enough, someone does the same thing with an aftermarket lower unit that works, mid sections are getting attention and at the end of the day economies of scale bring the price of a brand new 2.5 liter, 350 hp, 350 lb. , complete outboard in at $25K.

Last edited:

Jon

Supporting Member
Well they're already making their own cranks and rods. Aftermarket ecus are already on the market, as old as they may be.. As far as injectors fuel rails electric etc., it's just a matter time before someone start making those. I think a lot more effort would need to go into making a lower unit. A mid could be something achievable sooner than later.

I suspect we would see at least a complete drop on aftermarket, even if it is days together, within the next five years.

I'm no slouch in the market either.

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well go ahead and get one on order Jon and when it gets here in a couple years we can break it in on my boat until you get your XR. :D

Dave Hensley

Well new info says Merc crank and rods don't interchange. Which is a good thing as the factory is finished making the hi po stuff. If I was a whiz in the market I would just buy a new XR 2002 and a new XR2001 RR and two CRT's. With the recent volatility there were many opportunities. These pieces are targeted toward a specific market. I am sure a few will turn up on sand bars but the most important thing to me is racers will be buying CRT's and not butchering and blowing up the last of the factory pieces. When it gains traction hopefully the trickle down to the lake crowd will be positive as more and more aftermarket stuff makes it's way down the food chain. Complete motors will not be an option due to the heavy hand of the EPA but parts and pieces will be.

Jon

Supporting Member
I agree the EPA would weigh in heavily IF it were sold as a complete motor. That being said, it's kind of like ordering a gun without the firing pin... Source some part somewhere else and it isn't a running motor.

I agree not many will trickle out of racing since these things are meant to be kept running easily, with interchangeable parts. Then again, normal people are still buying the 200XS motors new for crazy money - for what you're getting at least.

whipper

Normal people don't buy 200 hp motors for $21K....just us boat fanatics
Well Caldwell posted prices with there parts added to the block price. Crank, pistons ,sleeves for 15-18 depending on HP options. So pretty safe to say if you have a 2.5 260 or 280 You can have the 320-340 hp option turn key robbing the rest of the parts from your existing motor for the same price as a new 200XS. i sure would like to hear what sota life before re ringing we can expect? And if there is any nic involved?

Last edited:

whipper

Dave Hensley

I believe the rotating assembly is available but the $15-$18K is still, block, front half, heads , sleeves and pucks. The pucks determine the state of tune by changing port size if I understand it right. It is for racers. A new drag block, if you could buy one, sent to a true engine builder, all the sleeves pulled, behind the liner porting done, exhaust chest done, stuffed, shaved etc would be very close to that price and you would have a cast piece with epoxy filling in all the holes where it was ground through. Plus, when you burn a piston...it's off to the machine shop, wait, $500-$600 for one sleeve. The CRT you can re-sleeve at the race venue if need be. Sleeves will be keyed and flanged and be around $400.

Jon

Supporting Member
The sleeves are by far the best part. And such a simple idea.