Aces IV

ROBERT CROSS

The fuel octanes that I see here localy are 87, 89, 93. Would I be safe with 89 and Aces?
I fill up at every outing, usually around at 1/2 tank or a little less and alternate 89 & 93, but I have used a tank and a half of 89 and Aces while camping with no problems at all.

Bob
:laughing

TBuck2003

The fuel octanes that I see here localy are 87, 89, 93. Would I be safe with 89 and Aces?
Although you would probably be fine to run 89( with stock compression) with the ACES, I would recommend 93 in your scenario. That is what I would do...My .02

TBuck

P.S. I had a customer that runs the Ohio River and ran 87 with Aces just to get back to ramp (30-40 miles) with a warmed up 260 at about 150-160 lbs. compression. Just a report NOT a recommendation.

Blob-head

First off, I must admit I know nothing about Aces specfically but I do know you will
never raise your octane level from 91,2, or 3 to 100 with a pint or quart of some stuff
that costs whatever it cost per gallon. First off, why would you pay 20 bucks for lets
say a quart, not knowing what you are really gettin instead of paying 7-8 dollars for
a gallon of real 100-112 race gas and know what you're getting? You could buy 3
gallons of race gasfor 20-25 bucks instead of 1 quart plus of that unknown stuff.
I guarantee you can go a lot farther on 3 gallons of real gas than a quart of additive.

Bob

Blob-head

I just noticed one of the replies, someone paid $80 per quart for Aces, that's $320
per gallon, doesn't matter if it's 3,6.10 or 20 ounces per gallon, that's outrageous.
Let me ask you, what gas does Mercury recommend for it's 300 drag? Around 110
I believe, hell you could fill a full tank for 1 gallon of Aces.

Bob

Scott Gilmore

I just noticed one of the replies, someone paid $80 per quart for Aces, that's $320
per gallon, doesn't matter if it's 3,6.10 or 20 ounces per gallon, that's outrageous.

Bob
You use 1oz per 6 gal 89 to 93 octane. Scott

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you just want to use it to run 89 instead of 93, doing the math say $270/gal of aces. 1 oz treats 6 gallons, so 128oz treats 768 gallons, and that comes out to spending about 35 cents per gallon treated. The average price between 89 and 93 is ~12-14 cents a gallon. Even if you wanted to use it to run 87 octane instead of 93, it just about breaks even. That's just the cost analysis for using it to purely bump octane.

Now, I don't know about all the other benefits to running it, but if you want to do it ONLY to save money at the pump, it's not cost effective.

TBuck2003

Bob
Bob,
Unless I am reading this wrong, I think you have it backwards. It is 1oz Aces to 6 gallons of gas. 1 Gallon will make 768 gallons of gas. 1 quart will make 192 gallons of gas. So for the quart you are roughly spending .41 cents per gallon. For the gallon you are spending a little under 33 cents per gallon. Nobody that I know of, is using this to run 87 or 89 instead of 91 or 93 to save the difference in cost of fuel grades. I run it in a 300 drag with 93 octane and my 260 with 93 octane. Both motors are high compression.

TBuck

hemi2005

My comment about octanes was to tell you what my options are localy. 87, 89, and 93. I've always run 93 in my outboards. I don't care about saving a couple of dollars, I just want the added benefit of this product, that so many that I respect use. By the way Todd I ordered a quart this morning...Thanks.

whipper

Hemi you could probably getaway with 89 and Aces with the 225PM BUT! Its the pucker factor knowing you didnt put 91 or better that will make ya not do it.:big grin I tryed it once a few years ago with aces and Ill not do it again because I was freeking out thinking what did i do that for to save a couple of bucks.:banghead I didnt notice any power loss or anything its just the mentel block thing as I seem to get often.:big grin

whipper

I'm going to have to continue to use 93 and Aces I guess. 91 isn't an option around here. It is what it is.
Funny about not having 91 around there. Its such a popular grade I would have thought. Do you have marine grade fuel there? Marine is 91 or 92 ussually and way cheeper. Unmarked gas. Cant be to much differance from 89-93 anyway is it. Ones what, 8 bucks a gal the other 9? Oh not yet down there? Maybe by summer.:big grin Gas jumped to $7 a gal today hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hemi2005

You pay $7.00 per gallon!!!..You've got to be kidding me. And I thought we had it bad a $4.00 per gallon. Yikes!

whipper

Only reason it's that expensive up there James, is they have to keep it heated so it doesn't freeze.

You always come up with a good one Gary.:beer: Ya its nuts up hear Marc. 1.44 per liter today. Some one told me thats 7 bucks a gal? Oils only 105 a barrel right now in europe trading. It was higher last year for a while also but prices never went over $1.10LT up hear. Can you say getting ripped off! hears a good live oil chart one min delayed. You can expand the chart into years by running the mouse to the top right corner of the chart. Then hit options and do one month yearly for 20yrs or what ever ya want. http://www.livecharts.co.uk/MarketCharts/crude.php To me on a weekly chart we have just formed a double top. That ussualy represents a downward trend is about to happen. That would make sence why we are getting goudged now. They expect the money train with higher priced oil to stop for a while unless they make up other exuses why we pay so much!!

So the Newfy diver was asked why do you guys dive of the boat backwards not forward? The Newfy replied by jeisious ya wouldnt want ta be diven forward now would ya. Youd end up on the floor of da boat ya ninkanpoop! :banghead

Last edited:

Bobalouie

$1.44 CAN a liter is the equivalent of $5.40 a gallon here after conversion and exchange rate. Still pretty high though.

Blob-head

Aces Reply,

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not familar with the product or it's pricing.
But it sure seemed that a number of people wanted to use it as
an octane booster. hopefully I read it wrong. Someone mentioned that
1 oz. will raise octane rating 4 numbers, not points in 6 gallons of gas
89-93, good luck. 1 gallon 90 octane plus 1 gallon 100 octane gives
you 95 octane. Aces may have other benefits, I don't know but don't
bet your pistons on it as an octane booster.
You can reference 100 plus octane fuel at ROCKETT BRAND FUELS.com.
Alot of tech articles, and they also have blending charts.

Bob
'

Last edited:

Blob-head

Aces Reply,

Bob
'

TBuck2003

It does take 93 to 102 (Apparent Octane it is not a booster) It changes the chemical formula of the fuel, so the motor thinks as far as predetonation that it is burning 102... Like I said I have used it for a long time with 185lbs plus of compression with no race fuel, nothing but 93 Marathon gas and Aces.

TBuck

whipper

Aces Reply,

Bob
'
Yes bob its more like 8-9 {points} per 1OZ to 6GAL when using 91.
As Todd says its not an octane booster they are crap! This is the real McCoy hear Bob no snake oil totally changes your fuel chemistry specific for two strokes as Todd said. Proven for years nothing new to the engine builders and after market high performance guys using it. Some of the best outboards built on the planet run just great using it so there really isn't any argument anymore weather or not it works. That parts been done a long time ago. This thread is more of an information base as to what else it does for guys who may not have discovered it yet. Put it this way. Theres over 50000 members on Scream and Fly. Not one can tell you of the thousands using it that it hurt there motor.

Its not necessary as you mention there more than one way to skin a cat. But Aces has more going for it than just mixing some 100 to get higher octane. Really the lubrication and fuel stabilizer components are second to none. That is for instance the main reason I like it. I cant get out ever week some times. Knowing after 3 weeks of not running the fuel in the tank is good to go saves me money on refilling. I used to for insurance drain the tank for the lawn mower after sitting. Thats not necessary with this stuff. They have tested it up to 5 years and the fuel showed no breakdown!!!! I would never trust that but thats what they say. i have however ran out my tank in spring after 6 months sitting one year a few years ago and motor still runs great.