xb2003prosport speed

JaySmithRacing

Lu Lu's pack mule 280 and Russ's "asmatic" Pro Max

LU LU That is turning 90+ MPH loaded like a moving truck is a JSRE motor also ! Russ I told you not to take tha 2X4 out from under the foot feed for another 20 gals of gas ! Could'nt wait till she was broke in huh ???

LOL.... Good job Russ & Lu.....

BTW Russ I would love to "tune" that motor at sea level myself and turn you out in it and let you look at a GPS number ........

We enjoy success storys......

Jay @ JSRE

RB in NM

to set part of it straight,,,

About the only thing that's still 225ish here is the stickers..... :roll:

here's the poop on the motor:
1999 promax 15"
JSRE : Motor stuff
decked the block.050
porting ......provided kindly by Jay Smith...
complete rotating assembly lightened and balanced
JSRE light weight wrist pins
steel caged bearings
exhaust chest , nicely opened
forged toppinned pistons by John Marles.
Oil injection removed long ago, Jay filled the block void /opening.
cleaned up the front half for flow
5 pedal single stage reeds on rubber coated cages from JSRE
16 amp charging system
JSRE light weight flywheel
Several sets of heads, Jay has cut a couple sets for me, more to go..

From John Marles :

set of forged 2 ring slugs (cut and balanced by Jay)
top pinned by John
Pro Marine rings notched by John for the top pins
I have John Marles cooling mods done
dry stacked ( Marles version)

From Tony Brucato :

Gold Laser style SVS
Tony's / Jay's recommeded fuel delivery system ------
Bosh fuel pump, no water seperator, adjustable Areomotive fuel regulator, K&N 100 micron fuel filter before injectors.
Of course the Brucato PCU with Steamwheel....Hot stuff !!!
I had Tony clean and flow my injectors.

From Eric Simon :

1 inch spacer for intake (currently removed for testing)
soon to install his alternator setup for added juice

Lower unit is stock Sportmaster. I have done some mild "Sam Baker" mods to the skegg. I have removed some leading edge off the skegg , from the bullet to the bottom of the skegg, not as radical as the XR-6 skegg profile tho. I have line filed the bullet sides for smoothness, the blowout ring is still there.

Firefisherman, I recently aquired a 24 chopper prop that was built for an Allison, maybe by Leon, not sure yet tho. I need to talk to Leon about it.
I bought it from Ray Vickers at the drag races last month.
The prop I ran is a 28" chopper II ET cut that Rich Boger built for me. Lots of controversy over this wheel, me and him split the sheets over this wheel.
That's a whole nother story off line from here tho. I ain't one to air dirty laundry in this forum.......

Anyway, I run this prop 1/4" above pad, as it hooks good. It was said to tip out nearly 30"s, and comes out of the hole like a 26"er. Very little cup except on the very tip.

This pass was made with 1/4 tank of gas, some rods I forgot in the rod locker, and the bare essientials for the lake patrol guys....bail bucket, paddle,square throwable floatation cushion, etc... No livewell water, troller, spare batteries, extra seats, etc.

On this run I was hell bent for leather, trimmed a little (lot) higher than I thought I wanted to be at, but my speed and rpm's kept climbing, and the hull was still very stable. For this altitude, to run a 28 prop at 8200, it had to be out of the water quite a bit. Did not think to have the run videoed, but will next month at the drags.

RB

[/quote]

RB in NM

Hey Jay,,,,

I waz busy typing while you posted......

Jay , the way this thing performs, I'd be glad to fly you to Louisiana over Thanksgiving for some of your "personal tuning",,,, :lol:

Don't know what to expect at sea level Bud! gotta Luv it tho!

Thanks bigtime Jay!

Ya know the best thing about this motor, is I still have bottom end for skiing, fishing loads, and crusing with a few friends on the lake.
It's an all around monster!

Russ

GotMyAlly

That sounds like one bad Pro Max you've got there.

If mine ever goes boom, it's going to Jay for some goodies. But until it pops, I'm gonna keep it stock and hopefully keep a high degree of reliability.

NoviceDave

Brucato stuff?

Hi Russ,

Can you please fill me in on the Tony Brucato fuel stuff? Why no water separator? Why the K&N filter? What advantages and disadvantages do these mods provide?

Thanks,

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Here's the "Moving Truck" checklist:

-74 Motorguide
-Three batteries
-Dual pro charger
-Full cooler (36 cans + ice)
-spare prop (high five 21)
-4 rods
-2 tackle boxes
-water ski
-knee board
-anchor w/chain & 100' line
-Bazooka 10" subwoofer
-2 Rockford-Fosgate amps
-six speakers
-inflatable tube
-12v air pump
-remote control toy boat
-blankets, towels
-gay parasol
-spare prop hub
-torque wrench
-50 lbs of more incidentals too numerous to list
-2 adults, 3 kids

90.6 mph GPS with 24 ET @ 8000.

Imagine what it could do if the parasol was stowed... :lol:

RB in NM

Hello NDave,

here's the info I had posted on basically the same question on another site..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I removed my spin on, but then again , I removed all of my stock system too. Jay Smith and I talked at length about fuel systems when he did the work to my Pro Max.

I dumped the stock system. Jay highly suggested to dump the spin on for my system.
I now have 1/2" fuel line from the tank to the new Bosh fuel pump I got from Tony Brucato. After the pump , I run to the Areomotive adjustable fuel regulator under the cowl, then I have a K&N 100 micron stainless steel mesh filter before the injectors.

I did so many mods at once I could not tell what performance removing the spin on , gave me. But I take suggestions form the guys who build their reputation around these black motors.

ther is always a draw back to everything. the stock type fuel system, say on a pro max, sucks fuel purdy good due to the design. It has the water seperator before the fuel canister system.
On the higher fuel pressure systems, a common setup is a inline aftermarket, Bosh,Holley,etc fuel pump that is designed to push fuel rather than suck it up to the motor, mounted down near as possible to the tank outlet or even below the fuel level in the tank. Therfore the less restrictions betwen the inline and the motor, the better fuel delivery you have with less potential of pressure drop. On stock setups, the fuel system is probably better left alone, and the water filter checked every so often.

Me,,I have mine set up like Jay and I had discussed

RB

fishnfireman

Russ,

I can't believe that I had the 280 on for about 2 years and never did take all my gear and excess wt out just to see what kind of numbers it would turn.
Guess it was because I was to busy tournament fishing. And also the fact that I don't have a good helmet and a lifeline jacket.
I had to promise wy wife and family when I got that boat I would never do a sure enough top end run without a spotter boat and the good gear.
Now it's sold !!

don't tell my wife but it has seen the magic 000 at Amistad while my fishing partner went to get the trailer.

RB in NM

I've never been to Amistad, a few guys from here fish in the same tourny as you down there, you know Joe Smith? He's got a ranger of some kind with a Yamaha 250. He's always fishing the T's there.

I don't doubt that 280 would not just scream down there if the heat was not too bad....even with heat, 100mph on your old boat shoulda come fairly easy.

When do you get yer new ride ??????? You stoked yet...? LOL! it oughta be nice.

RB

fishnfireman

STOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to call Nancy to find out for sure.
Talked to her before they shut down for the 4th..... She said then, it was in the mold- and they would start putting it together after there vacation.
It should be done around the end of July.

Yes I know Joe: Good guy. His father in law helped start the tournament trail we fish about 20 years ago.

Speaking of Amistad -----BASS is going to start the 2006 season there.
I guess our secret honey hole AINT a secret no more.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
That's cool Rick, the way the rumor goes, summer builds are lighter owing to the 'glass outgassing more because of the heat during cure!!