xb2003prosport speed

RedAllison

My setup is bonestock. I have a 1999 2003 sidesteer with 99 225SS with a Tooters SportMaster (1.87). The engine is untouched and I run with the exhaust pack in it (never have taken it out, to dang loud for my tastes). The speeds I gave were very much loaded, including the livewell being full of water. I have a 54# OMC foot control on the nose that has never been removed. At the rally lastyear I had a topped off fuel tank, 100# pounds of tackle under the front nose (I know because I have weighed all this stuff) and to my surprise I had 18 rods and reels in the rod locker and under the front deck (but how much can they weigh? The average bassrod and reel today is measured in ounces) my cooler was JAMMED to the top with 2-3 bags of ice, 24 pack of beer and several bottles of water and snacks. I run with one battery in the left rear storage compartment and the other sits on the left in front of the fuel tank, the right front of the tank sits the trim pump for my SS. The storage compartment behind drivers seat is crammed full of maps, glasses, fire ext, spark plugs, wrenches, marker buoys etc... The right rear compartment holds my ladder, life jackets, throwable, jumper cables, bulk spools of line, rain suits etc... The butt seats were on the decks and their gas pedastals were in the open compartment on the left. I cant remember if I had both buckets and the bench in or if I had only the buckets. Todd Bucknall's GPS read 91.0 with that load, the two of us (I am 6'4" 235 and I would guess Todd at 185? That was with their 28" Quad IV OT @ 6700 during the rally at Douglas Lake (1k ft) in the early morning humidity (it began to rain actually) and it was warm. We ran my stock 27" Trophy 88.8 GPS minutes before at exactly the same plate setting (14.5" hyd CMC/Alli plate). The pad on my 2003 is stock as well (well its been modded by several stumps and the sandy beach I hang out at in the summer time! :) ) Both Todd and I both agreed that there was probably 2mph more in each prop with that load if we only would've played with the setup but that rain was hurting without helmets.

This Saturday as a matter of fact while fishing a club tournament at Sardis, MS my partner watched his GPS show 80.7 while cruising at 6k (again with my stock 27" Trophy) in windy conditions that were just short of whitecaps. That was a VERY heavily loaded condition with wet carpet (it had been thunderstorming off and on all morning) and my gearcase a little lower than normal so the prop could get a good bite in the rougher water. I didn't make a topend run as conditions didn't allow for it but I have no doubt RDW would've run in the 88-89GPS range at Sardis' 260ft altitude in cool weather (despite the high humidity).

Fire what kind of altitudes are you running in TX? Based on your speeds it sounds like you are running at Russ' type of altitudes in NM. I just don't see why ANY ProSport with a ProMax wouldn't run 88-90+ with a two man load in altitudes under 2k ft.

RDW sure sounded good on top of that churning water at 80 Saturday :p
RA

catfish123

Red, what speed do you get from that 27 Trophy if you run it by yourself with a light load? Does it get to the limiter? What is the highest speed you ever ran your boat and with what prop? Thanks.

Yellowallison

HEY PINKIE! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

YU need to BOX up HT-RED's LONGEST POST TROPHY and send it back to Him... Yu was at 7400 words in one post.. BUT HT-RED just blew MUD on yur keyboard with ah 7800 words in tha last post.... not bad for stock keyboard with a bolt on dust cover...

He's regained the hiz TITLE!

BUT PINK! yu might try put'n a JSRE sticker on yur Keyboard! :mrgreen:

J

John Richied

Whatcha expect after a guy goes turkey hunting… LOL

I know when I get back from my Turkey Hunt (The W.A.R.) where I’m hunting a wanna be bassboat racer named Mr. XY Lubricant I’m going to be long winded too…

Bring it … no, I mean for real you internet jockey, LOL… BRING IT!

I’m gong to have to lubricate the hard drive with Klotz and grind down the lip on my keyboard FOR SURE!

If your Yeller, I mean SCARED I understand… Call 1-800-I can’t stay on my PC seat! :p

Yellowallison

PINKIE! - can I get tracking number on tha BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So were sure yur not actin like yur uncle CHROMIE agaiN!..

J

John Richied

Yep I gotcha tracking number right here… The box wuz sent out General Lee Express last night and it was to transfer to NorForkinWay, overnight express rail car, then to Horsy Express (I thinks they bought out the Pony Express back East) …hehehe

the trackin number is I-O4U-1-TROPHYRACEPROP4BLD

In the box with the race prop I included one piece of cherry cheesecake and a six-pack of gerbils that you can put on your OMC flywheel and pick up a little midrange.

If the overnight express doesn’t get there in time those little gerbils might eat the cherry cheesecake and I didn’t pay for insurance on the package... sorry.

chad202

After further playing around with setup and props, I've reached a little more speed. With tournament load, 67# MG TM, 7 rods, all tackle in front deck, two batteries in center rear compartment, 3bank onboard charger and 10lb toolbag in rear port compartment, normal fishing junk and safety gear, full fuel and just me, she ran a best of 93.1mph and would hold steady at 93mph. This is with 14" of setback and propshaft set at 1/4" above the pad turning a 28RL ET cut chopper 6850-6900rpm. The boat handled great with no hint of craziness. It blewout at 1/2" above :D I'll take it in this summer heat.

brotherxb03

Thats kicking butt. I have a 98-xb03 eith 14" setback and a 2.3-200 carb with stacks,boysens,milled heads and blueprinted exaust and it ran 77.9 with a 27 tempest on gps and with my stock 28 chopper I would guess around 80. This is by myself with a full fishing load 2-105 batteries in center,spare prop ect. I never gps'd the chopper but I turn it 6500

chad202

If your tach is right and the 28 is a 28, you should be running faster than 80mph unless you have alot of slip. BUT, what gears do you have.

brotherxb03

Yea it's a 28 a-5,stock like new. I have a stock 200 lower unit with bob's pickup. I think it's 1.87. I run it 1/4 to 1/2 above pad.

chad202

With 7-8% slip with given numbers and 1.87 gears, you should be running 84-86mph.

brotherxb03

I think on a stock chopper the slip is a little more,because on my hoss cut hopkins worked chopper before I cracked a blade it showed about 9 mph faster then the stock prop a 5300 . If I remember it was like 65 verses 75 big diffrence. That's on the stock speedo.

GotMyAlly

Chad, those are some good numbers for this heat. I could only get about 6550 RPMs out of my 28 Hydromotive this weekend with just me in the boat, but I was loaded down with fishing gear, wakeboard stuff, and camping gear too. I didn't have my GPS with me but I'd guess that is probably 88-89 mph. I may have been able to raise the motor on the jackplate a little to get some more Rs, but I didn't bother playing with it. I was having to use considerably more trim than usual so I didn't want to raise the JP and risk a bat turn.

RedAllison

Guys I just don't know. The more I am around them the more I am beginning to realize that if you want to run big numbers while heavily loaded in a 2003/225 then it will come with thru-hubbed props like tweaked Trophys and Quad IV OTs. Todd and Thom have tried to tell us all until they are blue in the face about the gearcase/bearing surface lengthening that thru-hubs add too our cases that isn't there with choppers, ETs etc...

Sure, empty the hulls and go for broke and yeah an ET is gonna "post da big numbers" but add 500#s of tackle, fuel, cooler and another person and the #s start sinkin quickly. I was all excited about the Ron Hill chopper I gave Todd to cut and that he brought with him too the 50th. I slapped it on and Thom commented about it probably being a 85-86mph wheel. I was bound and determined to prove him wrong, but it did NOT happen. My 27" Trophy is a couple mph faster and the QuadIV OT is solidly 5-7+ faster with the same load.

Another example I have in my memory bank is driving Tom Vickerys (YAs dad) XB21BasSport/250XS on Douglas Wed of the rally. Scott told me he couldn't get it to run 80. I thought too myself, "Hell that thing ougta SING as song with an ET on her tail"! (BTW Scott now that I think about it, was that a 28 or 30 ET?) I went out and made several passes and even bumped the plate a time or two and 76 and change (gps) was all the prop would do before it let go. The nose would just fall straight into the water. The prop just wouldn't carry the load of a big 21 loaded to fish. I think Scott told me they had the boat in the upper 80s with a Quad IV or Trophy on it.

Oh well, thats my opinion and I know what I am stickin with for topend "load wheels",
RA

lightening rod

catfish123 said:
Red, what speed do you get from that 27 Trophy if you run it by yourself with a light load? Does it get to the limiter? What is the highest speed you ever ran your boat and with what prop? Thanks.
Catfish, I know I aint Red, but I have had mine to 97 and change with a 32 Lab Cleaver.

RedAllison

Chris you sho got dat right. I am MUCH more da "handsum sumbeech" dan yo skinthead is!!!

:p
RA

lightening rod

Red, The good Lord only made so many purtty heads.........The rest of em he covered wit hair and you sho got a bunch of hair. Now I aint tryin to say anything bad, but wit that much hair it must be trying to hide a bunch o ugly

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Red, your problem is you don't have enuf power and you're in denial.

This weekend...Here's what was in the the boat:

-74 Motorguide
-Three batteries
-Dual pro charger
-Full cooler (36 cans + ice)
-spare prop (high five 21)
-4 rods
-2 tackle boxes
-water ski
-knee board
-anchor w/chain & 100' line
-Bazooka 10" subwoofer