xb2003prosport speed

vcrash

Im looking at a xb2003 year 2002 with 225 promax to trade my ss2000 on and i wondred if you guys could give me the approximate speed of this unit, Thanks

RedAllison

VC I hope you are looking at getting a fishing boat in addition too a lake boat since you are looking at the ProSport. Your SS is a sweet lake racer that is hard to beat, but if you gotta fish (and believe me you can fish in GRAND style in a ProSport) then dont hesitate on a ProSport. Speed wise with some playing and setup you can carry a full two man Tournament load in the 90-92GPS range with a 2003/ProMax with some top end props like tweaked 28" Choppers or the 28" Quad IV OT from Hydromotive. For a beat around ("stump props" as I call them) you can take a stock 27" Trophy and run 88-90 GPS and not worry about hurting a prop if you hit something every now and then.

For playing and skiing, tubing etc alot of the guys like 24" Trophy's. I have a 20" High Five that I practically stole so thats what I use to pull my small kids on tubes because it pulls slow, smooth and planes at very low speeds. I have a 24" RE3 that works pretty well also. Obviously speed isn't these props forte and for running they get terrible gas mileage, but they pull smooth and easy and drive very comfortably.

Empty the rig completely and bolt on a 30" ET and you should see speeds in the mid 90s GPS. Thats the beauty of the ProSport, it does ALOT and does ALOT very well. If you just want a bass boat for occasional fishin that is the king of the lake then look for a 2002. If you wanna lake racer then stick with your SS or find an old XR. If you want a ProSport AND triple digits then you better look for one with a 2.5 on her tail...

Good luck,
RA

vcrash

Thanks Red, That tells me alot, Its still a really hard decision as i love my ss however its not to practical for the kids and fishing and so on and i cant afford both, ive only ever had my ss with the opti 200 up to 92 so speed should be close, i realize how much heavier it is so takeoff will be different but it will be easier for the family, My mom cries when she see,s me goin out in the ss fore fear ill crash and never return, With the prosport she'l think im just fishen. Its a model year 2002 but new stock and they want 32,000 us, Price sounds a bit high but up north here everythings more money.

deadeye99

Red's #s are correct. Also get a bench seat for the back. The kids love it. I've had one for 9 years and just put the bench in a couple months ago. The kids went crazy. Do more circles daddy!!!! Bob

fishnfireman

speed

Don't want to dispute any one.
However those are some darn good numbers for a "tournament load"
Unless you are at or near Sea level and have a very good setup. 86-88 mph might be more in line.
And YES those speeds are attainable with a 225 just don't be discouraged if you can't reach them.

GotMyAlly

Depends what you call a tournament load. If you carry enough stuff to restock a BPS store, yeah, 88 would be great. I carry 5-6 rods myself, 4 plano 3700s, plus a worm bag and a spinnerbait box, and my partner has 3-4 rods and 3 plano 3700s. And a soft side cooler with a few gatorades. I can hit 92 with my 'tournament load'.

catfish123

Neal, What prop are you using to get 92mph with 2 guys and all that fishing gear? And what do you get with just you in the boat with a light load?

JOEALLY

I have the 2003 and a 200xs and have gotten up to 84 (gps) with 2 men, water in livewells, 12 rods, tackle, etc. tourney load. 86.4 at 6450 rpms (smartcraft), and had some trim left, but ran out of river. I'm 195 and partner is 280+. I've ran to 86.4 without partner, still got trim left, and learning to drive. So I think those #s with a 225 are realistic.

catfish123

Normally between a 200 Promax and a 225 Promax, there will be a gain of 5 mph.

GotMyAlly

I'm running a Quad IV OT. It has been balanced/blueprinted w/ their outboard cut, so it is not an out of the box hydromotive. It barely bumps the rev limiter with 2 aboard and hits it pretty good with just me. It is actually 91.something. Really not any faster without the passenger because I can't spin any more rpms.

I need more pitch to get more speed.

catfish123

I think I need more HP to get more speed..............LOL............Should have gotten a 280 when I got rid of the 200 Promax for a 225X.

chad202

Where are ya'll putting the tackle? Mine is has a blueprinted pad and my 225 promax has a red 40amp lite flywheel, 35cc heads, HP tuner with exhaust relieved, timing advance module removed and set at 25deg(don't know exactly what that does) rev limiter set at 7250rpm, 5 pedal reeds with rubber cages, and a little air mods to make the flow of air to the intake a little easier. I haven't run with two yet but solo, my best is 91.8 with 25+ gal of fuel, water in livewell, 8rods, 25-30lbs of tackle in front deck, onboard charger, 10-15lb tool box, extra oil and all safety stuff. The other day, I had same load but with fish in livewell and maybe a little more fuel and it ran 91.4mph. This is with propshaft set even with pad and I'm 17 feet below sea level.

catfish123

Chad............Don't worry about it.....you are in the general range of mph that these boats run. I have spent a lot of time on setup and money on props chasing that last few mph that others report they are getting. When I bought my boat and put this motor on it, a very reliable source told me it would run 90 and anything over that was a "bonus". I have increased motor height to the point of blowout just trying to get 1 more mph. The boat will comfortably run 90. I have found that to go faster, it requires a 30 pitch prop and a prop with that much pitch does not run well on my boat. I believe as many have said before that an XB2003 with a 280 is easier to drive let's say at 98 mph than one with a 225 is at 93 mph. You are running out of HP with the 225 and the steeper pitched props want to walk to the surface....................HANG ON..........Oooops...........too late...........LOL

xb2003

you take five xb2003/225x and set them up exactly the same. One of them is going to be faster than the rest....It's just the way it is..

GotMyAlly

All I've got up front as far as tackle goes is three plano 3700 boxes. Two are full of crankbaits and one is full of worm hooks/weights/swivels. And I have a few packs of plastics up there. Other than that, my golden rule, net, and life jackets are under the front deck. Everything else goes in the back.

KY_XB2003

I have a 99 @003 with a 225 promax. I've tried several props and the one that has gotten me the best speed is a 27 trophy. By myself, it has hit 92.1. With a tourney load....and I mean a load..........it does 87. I would like to try a hydromotive.

JOEALLY

I don't carry any tackle up front. I have life jackets, net, paddle, gloves, rain suit, miscellaneous items.
In back port side is 5 3700 planos, a worm bag, spinnerbait box, and on board charger. In back starboard side is 30 qt. ice chest that stays full of drinks and ice. 6 rod and reels in rod box. That's it basically.

...........when i bought the ally, Stanton twisted my arm and made me get rid of most of my tackle.. :lol: ..LOL

deadeye99

2003 speed

When I picked up my boat 9 1/2 years ago it went about 80. The dealer had the prop about 1.5" under the pad. With set up, balance, gearcase work etc it runs 92 on the limiter in almost all conditions. I'll report new speeds in a week or 2 with a new 280. Depends how much time I can spare to breaker in. Any predictions? Bob