Sportmaster Seals

GFinch

Capacity amounts at the bottom of this pic.

..... you have a sporty on your OMC? ...Cool!

I'm old and blind could you kindly point me to this pic.

Also are there any pics of the 2.5 where the fitting is attached to the shift shaft.

The Sporty came about when the OMC blew the upper shaft bearing as I loaded the boat onto the trailer. Thought I seized the engine cuz it locked tight. Pulled the heads didn't find anything. I could turn the flywheel butt a couple of degrees. While I was dropping the lower unit I got a whiff of 90 wt. When it blew it just slightly bulged the case and made a tiny crack! Not a good way to start a three day weekend. :banghead

R

Redding XB21

Typical weekend for ya Gary. Were your TM Batteries in good shape?:at the bar

GFinch

Don't remember if the trolling motor was on or not. I just shot ground squirrels with my pellet rifle the rest of the weekend. Oh, and drank beer. :beer:

msharp

The vent kit is the best way to go with the 3.0 IF you are having problems AFTER the proper amount is installed . ESPECIALLY,the guys that run on the outer edges ! My information comes from trial and error. never seen anything on that in any manaul. Guess while some where in computer class ,learning how to type,copy, and paste, I was learning how to fix problems that are not in the manual, as the manual is just a guide !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
R

Redding XB21

Like Msharp said, 24 oz. it is. Called mother Merc tech support, 24 oz.......:at the bar:big grin

J

John Richied

the 3.0 takes 28 oz. like i said ,some can get by filling to the vent , but the ones that run long ,and hard ,and high and having prob.
Like Msharp said, 24 oz. it is. Called mother Merc tech support, 24 oz.......:at the bar:big grin
I don’t really care 24 or 28 oz...because I don’t run a 3 liter…:razz

Fill the dang thing with oil (not too much) and run her.

Check and change often! :wink

Last edited by a moderator:

hotshaft

The vent kit is the best way to go with the 3.0 IF you are having problems AFTER the proper amount is installed . ESPECIALLY,the guys that run on the outer edges ! My information comes from trial and error. never seen anything on that in any manaul. Guess while some where in computer class ,learning how to type,copy, and paste, I was learning how to fix problems that are not in the manual, as the manual is just a guide !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
X2
Well said MSHARP

hotshaft

MSHARP said 24oz than 24oz is right!!!!! you can take that to the bank he's a real marine mechanic not keyboard marine tech want to be!!!!!! Thanks for the "RIGHT" info!:beer:

GFinch

I don't run a 3 liter either it's a 3.3 liter with a 2.5 case. :rolling eyes

msharp thank you for the info!

fishnfireman

I don't run a 3 liter either it's a 3.3 liter with a 2.5 case. :rolling eyes

msharp thank you for the info!
I don't run a 3.0 liter......It's 3.2 stoker with a 3.0 ltr LU............BUT I have already had to replace the shift shaft seal twice and the prop shaft seals once...I learned years ago to let some fluid drain out of the 2.5 sporties..to allow for some heat expansion with long runs.

Seems that both times this one had issues was after a hard weekend then pulling some 450 + miles...

R

Redding XB21

Just to be on the "safe" side, I'll put in the 24 oz. then drain some out!

Just kidding, but this thread has been fun. ]COLOR="Red"]And by the way Mr.Pinkie, most of the time you don't "run" anything!!!:punch[/COLOR][/COLOR]

J

John Richied

Gene and Gary… Having friends like you two makes me realize how lucky I am..... to see you one time a year. :very happy :very happy

How fortunate I am! :beer:

Last edited by SLOmofo; 03-11-2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: cuz
And cuz aint no reason Gary, that’s who ya married and now call your wife. :very happy

Last edited by a moderator: