Sportmaster Seals

R

Redding XB21

Yea, it's me again with leaking seals on th LU.
After last fishing trip I noticed oil coming out of the shift shaft seal area. Crap! Pulled the prop & drained about 1 pt.of water out before any oil started to show. Had my mechanic come over and both the shift shaft seal and the lower water pump seal had leaks. I had put in an aftermarket seal on the lower WP seal and it worked for about 18 months.
I'm ordering another seal set from Mad EFI and replacing both of them.

Question: Is there too much water pressure from the water pick up in the lower unit? I make fairly long runs at speed on the lakes. I think I had read about "someone" blocking off one of the slots in the sportmaster to cut down on the volume of water being forced in.:help:help:help

Gene

XSive

Yea, it's me again with leaking seals on th LU.
After last fishing trip I noticed oil coming out of the shift shaft seal area. Crap! Pulled the prop & drained about 1 pt.of water out before any oil started to show. Had my mechanic come over and both the shift shaft seal and the lower water pump seal had leaks. I had put in an aftermarket seal on the lower WP seal and it worked for about 18 months.
I'm ordering another seal set from Mad EFI and replacing both of them.

Question: Is there too much water pressure from the water pick up in the lower unit? I make fairly long runs at speed on the lakes. I think I had read about "someone" blocking off one of the slots in the sportmaster to cut down on the volume of water being forced in.:help:help:help

Gene
What is the condition of the shaft where the seal rides? These shafts are notorious for corroding there.

F2008

I agree with XSive, pressure and vacuum test it and have a good look at the drive shaft and prop seal area. (personal experience)

Not sure I'd risk the power head by limiting the water intake.

I've read where an ounce less oil when re-filling will help because of heat expansion. I'm contemplating a vent tube and catch can using the vent screw hole. Not being able to surface the gear case for any distance seems counterproductive.

R

Redding XB21

Thanks for the replies. When I replace the lower WP seal, I'll check that shaft very closely. My mech ( Merc certified in the Opti) ran the pressure check, but not a vacuum check. I'll speak to him about that.

Thanks again guys

chad202

Yep, check the area of the driveshaft where the seal rides. The shafts of the SM and TM lu are carbon steal as opposed to stainless on regular fishing lu. They will pit around the water pump seal. You can either get a speedy sleeve or have it cut down, they spray-welded so different. I had mine done with Allumi-bronze. Now that doesn't mean all your problems will be solved. My TM lu would go thru seals like crazy, never figured out why. My 200 case/cone had NO issues with seals??????

pickwickangler

I have always had trouble with keeping water out of my sportmasters. If it aint one seal it's another. This past time we could not find a leak but the case was half full. I have not ran it yet but I am sure I have another leak. I put a pressure tester on it for 24 hours and it held 22 pounds the entire time.

tolatenate

After filling my gear case I leave the top vent screw out for at least a hour. I was amased at how much oil vented out.

msharp

I have always had trouble with keeping water out of my sportmasters. If it aint one seal it's another. This past time we could not find a leak but the case was half full. I have not ran it yet but I am sure I have another leak. I put a pressure tester on it for 24 hours and it held 22 pounds the entire time.
IF you can find a vacuum pump , see if it will pull down to 15 in.s . When you pressure test ,your ck'n in pressure, It can ck. good ,But the seals can be leaking that seals the Out . Water pressuer can overcome the OUT side. The pressure in the W/P housing is ALOT higher then what's on the GAUGE. IF I can help you , you are more than welcome to call me .

Last edited:
J

John Richied

Gene, just so you know the other night I called Gary Finch and I was crackin

hotshaft

What is the condition of the shaft where the seal rides? These shafts are notorious for corroding there.
What are some kind of shaft expert now!:big grinIf so am in love.You can work on my shaft any day( the sportmaster).

J

John Richied

don't think ya could get one of those air craft carriers under it though. We could try though.
Naaaw, we can sit under the awning, drink beer and tell Gene what to do and where to go. :LMAO:

Allyfishing

Hey Redding XB21...What did ya come up with? Ya got me nervous about sporty issues now. I am getting a PM with a sporty and absolutely no experience whatsoever with them. And you have an XB21 also. Do you run it real high for very long distances?

I called the place where they made the 3L sporty vent kit (Lake Havasu?)but they have nothing for the 2.5L. they said they only had problems with water intrusion on sporty's when they were run too far above the pad like over an inch and a half. Never even with pad or up to a half inch above pad.

I then called Glenn Reynolds about his 2.5L special shift shaft seal and he said it works better but it needs to be done right. He said send it to him and it will be gone over and done right.

I just don't know??!!

Craig :at the bar

R

Redding XB21

Well, got it back together. New seals (Mad EFI) and shift shaft seal. The shaft is fine.

Problem-----Measured out 24 oz., per Merc, of lube and pumped it in. Nothing came out of the overflow. I put in about 4 oz. more, still none showing. I planned on draining out some after fill, but what's full. I don't want to overfill or under fill. I know it has 24 oz. plus in right now, and nothing out the vent hole????:cuss

J

John Richied

Are you sure the 3 liter Sportmaster is 24 oz?

With the gearcase installed and level I would keep adding gearcase oil (pumping it in the drain hole) until it comes out the top vent.

Then leave the top vent cap off

R

Redding XB21

According to "The Book", that came with it, approx. 24oz. To me approx. means 24 + - say 2oz. I just don't want to overfill and have issues from that. I also want to have enough in to keep it lubricated. :cuss:cuss Since the SM seem to run hotter because of surfacing, maybe they leave more room for expansion in the LU.???