Sportmaster Seals

msharp

Well, got it back together. New seals (Mad EFI) and shift shaft seal. The shaft is fine.

Problem-----Measured out 24 oz., per Merc, of lube and pumped it in. Nothing came out of the overflow. I put in about 4 oz. more, still none showing. I planned on draining out some after fill, but what's full. I don't want to overfill or under fill. I know it has 24 oz. plus in right now, and nothing out the vent hole????:cuss
VENT HOLE . thats what it is .not a FILL TO hole. 24 oz. it will be fine !!

R

Redding XB21

And here I am trying to be serious for a change! Right now, I have about 28 oz. in it. And bye the bye,I think I'll drain out the additional 4 oz. I put in. Is the vent hole the one that has "vent" stamped under it?:punch

msharp

I am to !! if you vac. checked it and it held , the service man. calls for 24 + or - thats what I do . not trying to be a smartazz !!! trying to help . some people get by with filling to the vent . your doing it the proper way !

XSive

I can vouch for that...had the shaft checked for a "little" play....
$500+ for a new one!!!
The shaft will have a little play. Pull up on the shaft and it goes away. It was designed that way. The helical cut on the gear teeth forces the shaft up when the engine is running and seats the bearing. The "play" is pretty small on the dual upper bearing sportmasters, but much more with a torquemaster or 200 case.

R

Redding XB21

Hey no offense taken, I'm so used to joking around with the crazy WAR guys, it's 2nd nature.:very happy I appreciate all the info I get off this site. That being said, I',ll drain out the additional 4 oz. I put in and leave it at 24 as called for. This should give more expansion room in that miserable LU.

Thanks again, Gene

ROBERT CROSS

The shaft will have a little play. Pull up on the shaft and it goes away. It was designed that way. The helical cut on the gear teeth forces the shaft up when the engine is running and seats the bearing. The "play" is pretty small on the dual upper bearing sportmasters, but much more with a torquemaster or 200 case.
Here is what I discovered after checking out the prop shaft....:very sad

My bad I didn't tell 'ya WHAT shaft I got shafted by...

Last edited:

RobShaw-BasSport

I used to have this problem too when I would fill until lube seeped out the vent hole. Since I started putting in EXACTLY 24 ozs (and yes, you will not see lube from the vent hole), Ive not had a single problem!

2008 Allison BasSPort Pro
2008 Mercury 250XS

champ198

Rob, how do you get exactly 24oz. Hope I'm not asking an obvious question. I've heard an easy way to do this is to fill to the vent, then let a couple of oz drain out from the plug at the shaft. It gives room for the fluid to expand.

R

Redding XB21

Bought a qt.(32oz) drained off 8oz (measured) 24 left. put all of it in.

Thanks for all the info.

Allyfishing

I realize you guys are referring to the 3.0L sportmaster. Will the same hold true for the 2.5L sporty as well? Meaning 24oz. to fill it? And not wait for the oil to ooze out of the vent and then allow to drain a bit out?
thanks
Craig :big grin

SLOmofo

Good info here. Most peeps do like they always do/did in the past and don't read the manual. Gene's a little odd and does.
Gene what did your other sources say?
I too am interisted in what mother Merc says the fluid capisity in the 2.5 Sports Master is.

F2008

How come 3 liter sporty owners are having gear oil expansion issues? Why not install the shift shaft vent? :confused:

For us 2.5 guys .......

Last edited:

msharp

The shift shaft seal is the releif point for that ! The 3.0's have alot more pressure on them than the 2.5 . over filling will show up more on the boats that make long high speed runs. if its to full its got to come out somwhere ! the weakest link is the shift shaft seal .
the amount that goes in the + or - takes care of that . the guys that dont make long runs dont have as much trouble. ALLFISHING put the right amount in .

bringit

i am looking at a 2.5 manual and in no way shape form does it say anything close to this.i like to do things the right way,where am i missing this info?

bringit

this book says to fill until no air is in lube,then install screw and new seal.coming out top hole.wanna make damn sure im not missing anything.