New Yam SHO....

GotMyAlly

So this new Yamaha 200 SHO....only difference in the 200/225/250/300 is the computer? Anyone been inside one to verify that they are all identical internally?

Why would anyone buy anything other than the 200 if you can flash it to be whatever HP you want?

Interesting..........

xb03fs

That's what we have been told. You also must add solid mounts and have the lower unit modified if you want a true LWP, it you are happy a few mph less it is ok as the shape of the lower is already ok, just the pickups are above and below the nose cose

wasmeneh

there is a thread on Scream and Fly about this topic. I think it's flashed to around 350HP and now has a Sportsmaster.

whipper

Ya I also heard this. Ask Brian Harden {FFWD} in leesville SC he might know. He sells and works on them. Even put one on a 20fter Ally for kicks and giggles.

Last edited:

K-DAWG XB 2003

Staff member
Here are the dyno sheet numbers from the one on the Allison Owners board over on BBC. This is straight from Hydrotech.

resqu-u

That's an impressive hp number right there, wow. I'm guessing any factory warranty is gone out the window though?

whipper

msharp

I sure hope the crank don't blow out of it and hurt some fine American folks! What a terrible design!

msharp

Not so much the crank as the block .Way to heavy rotating assembly for the block . There twisting the mains out of them.

xb03fs

So if you go SHO your advise is increase the HP but not the limiter?

msharp

It's not an RPM related problem. The Block doesn't have enough meat in it to support the weight of the crank rods and piston assembly. A friend of mine has a 21 foot Phoenix bass boat that's had 4 New power heads and 1 lower blow in 2 years. He has not abused it ... Just tried to fish . He is one of many that's had the same results. ...

whipper

Hmm sounds like in there attempt to make things light they may have been better off keeping a few extra lbs and making things a little stronger in some key areas. Have they addressed this problem yet?

Ally1209

I also have a buddy fishes tournaments with a skeeter 250 sho on his 2nd or 3rd PH and second lower unit with no mods

xb03fs

wow that is terrible to hear. I had no idea that there were issues with them. What what is online you would think they are the greatest things since sliced bread. I was getting excited because hydrtoec is the closest performance shop to me.

whipper

Do you ever notice that it's never the actual owner that makes a post about a SHO blowing up?

Ha I wonder how many they have sold and what the percentage is of the blown ones vs happy customers? i would also find it interesting the same with the E-Tech 250 and 250XS. On the big board S&F ive noticed more and more XS motors getting rebuilt or having problems of some sort? They have over 50000 members so it stands to reason you would see more complaints over there. You sure dont hear anything about the new Evenrude with the real tall cowl? i think they look a little over the top but on the right hull maybe not so bad. Perhaps contemporary even?

msharp

Do you ever notice that it's never the actual owner that makes a post about a SHO blowing up?

I guess if I had falling for all the hype that has been spread around about that turd I probably won't any more people to know than necessary till I could get rid of it before the warranty ran out like most of them are doing !