biller31

The ss2000 is made for speed.

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad *** speed. - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936" (Learned that Quote from Talledega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.)

P.S. You'll need to get that movie to understand a lot of us around here. :)

whipper

Wow thats a sweet looking SS. I see youve been a member of Scream and fly also for a while. Have you meet Toffen? He has a Marine shop and doesnt live far from Oslo if I remember right. He also very knowladgable with hi performance boats and setup if you needed anthing you couldnt do yourself. Be safe and take it slow. Watch out for waves there your worst enamy at speed. I gather the Hydrolift was much the same in that regard. They are very sweet boats. Your SS is about as sexy a boat on the planet great choise! Youll be able to bust 100mph no problem after a bit of seat time.

What month can you get out on the Fijords around there? You climate is very similar to ours. Ussually mid to late April around hear for Ice off. Last year the lakes were frozen till May!!! Theres lots of vids on youtube to get ideas on how she will look running over the winter. Im sure youve seen them. Great looking Allison and be safe.

aeneas

Thank you! Yes, I have been sniffing around Scream and fly also for a while as I am a great fan of american sport- and racing boats (outboards). I've seen some vids of Allisons running but I can't get enough so please post links!
I may have run into Toffen, I do not know - I've been to so many shops! :big grin
It sounds as if our season is similar, it usually starts in June and ends early September.
I am looking forward to putting the boat together this winter and to drive it next season. :)

whipper

One thing I noticed is your trim switch is on the wheel right? If i was you I would witch them to blinker style trim. I havent used the button ones but I sure love having the blinker style because it doesnt matter were your wheel position is. You might look at that? Im sure there fine just saying.

biller31

The best trim set up is both if you can rig it. Buttons are better for super high speed IMO but the blinker style is way better for a lot of cruising and riding around in and out of coves fishing for the reason Whipper stated.

Eddie... TWRA boat tied up to it!!! LMAO 2!

suicidealli

take it slow........ it isnt something to just jump into and drop the hammer.... there is a lot of info on here to educate you.. congrads on the new ride. you will love it when you get the hang of it.

aeneas

The ss2000 is made for speed.

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad *** speed. - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936" (Learned that Quote from Talledega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.)

P.S. You'll need to get that movie to understand a lot of us around here. :)
I will have a look! :laughing
Ya know Roger that boat does look just like yours. Only with less aluminum cans in the floor. :)
No cans...
One thing I noticed is your trim switch is on the wheel right? If i was you I would witch them to blinker style trim. I havent used the button ones but I sure love having the blinker style because it doesnt matter were your wheel position is. You might look at that? Im sure there fine just saying.
I had blinker style trim in my previous boat and will have it in this one too. I would have liked to have it on the steering wheel but since I will have hydraulic steering (and the wheel changes position)... I could sometimes feel (SeaStar Pro std) how the cylinder couldn't take the torque and I would have to change grip but then I did not have the Allison cylinder.
The best trim set up is both if you can rig it. Buttons are better for super high speed IMO but the blinker style is way better for a lot of cruising and riding around in and out of coves fishing for the reason Whipper stated.

Eddie... TWRA boat tied up to it!!! LMAO 2!
Also I am used to then Teleflex blinker trim. At one time I thought of having the trim foot controlled like in some offshore race boats...
take it slow........ it isnt something to just jump into and drop the hammer.... there is a lot of info on here to educate you.. congrads on the new ride. you will love it when you get the hang of it.
I'll soak it all up! Will need input on setup for sure. I think I will take it slow and with your help start with a default setup and work from there. Thank you! Yes I love hanging boats! :big grin

Clean out of the wrapper...

Last edited:

Texan

Glad to see your rig showed up safe and sound. She is a sexy ride for sure! I nearly broke it off into a GS like Whippers a couple of years ago. I just couldn't get a good read on the motor, and that scared me. They weren't willing to split the hull and trailer from the motor so the deal fell through.

Like many have said, take it slow and you'll be good. These aren't the type of boats you'll get in and punch up the big numbers on the first day out. What you will get is the rush to keep with it and learn how to turn the numbers you expect. Use the kill switch and a good HP PFD, but you prolly already know that part.

She'll be a sure 'nuff head turner in your neck of the marble.

aeneas

Hi Texan,
The GS is very nice! About buying a boat with engine: my boat was advertised with a Merc 200 carb 20” with Bob’s and they did not want to separate. As I have an engine and importing another to Norway is very expensive I managed to, at a cost make them separate. This was not the cheapest boat to begin with but it was the boat I wanted and I am sure I did the right thing – probably not business wise but certainly for myself. Perhaps if I lived in the states I would have bought both boat and engine to sell the engine… This was not a doable solution this time.

I have great respect for the boat and I will take it slow. First setup will be all round and not for top numbers and for season 2 we will see (I usually step it up…). I have read many posts on here and on S&F about the SS-2000 characteristics ranging from “ill handling” to “sublime”… I am fully aware that speed costs - money and design wise. There are safer boats out there, generally they are not as fast but I wanted an SS for the speed, build quality and its stunning appearance. There is nothing remotely like her here so it will not be easy to be discreet…

aeneas

I was looking at some pics of ss-2000 with and without the tall race fairing, so the question is: low or race? :confused:

whipper

I was looking at some pics of ss-2000 with and without the tall race fairing, so the question is: low or race? :confused:
Both. :big grin I hear ya on getting what you wanted and expense. The same goes for were Im at. The only Allison around hear and though fully setup cost me 20 by the time she arived 3000miles and the exchange at the time was over 15 cents on the dollar the tag was more like 30 with taxes and all!! BUT i love her so much and theres no other hull than an Allison I can justife haveing for shear enjoyment on the water!! You will feel the same Im sure of it!! Theres lots of times i wanted an SS for going over 100mph mines in the low 90,s most days. All I need is a 260 to bust 100 reliably. So thats my next engine untill I can aford a 23ft GS one day then that will be the last boat I will ever buy. Our hulls the GS and SS are that way as are all Allisons 90,s and up. Zero wood to rought!! These hulls are built to last a life time. Im sure you,ll get the most out of yours!! I love the red looks so great!

BTW is that pic of your hull with the person in her you or your sister or girlfriend?? Gota ask.:big grin Regards James

aeneas

James,
I hear you! Also good to hear I am not alone! I am very curious about driving the boat but that will have to wait for a while as it is cold and snowing here right now.

The GS is an awsome boat too! It is such a good design regarding looks, space and performance despite the fact that it has been around for a couple of years.

Fairing
About the fairing: You say both… and you are probably right but I feel two is one too many. I don't think I would switch during the season... I think the low fairing is classic elegant and a bit mean but the race fairing just looks awsome!

Setback
I am not sure about the setback – there is an Allison manual jack plate on the boat now, also a skid planer thing... The Allison jack plate is apparently adjustable for a 15” mid by turning the moving bit around. The jack plate looks to be about 8-10”(?) of setback (have not measured yet)? The engine has another 2

Last edited:

aeneas

My engine

It is winter here! Last night we got 20cm (8") of snow and I have not seen bare ground here since mid november...

Anywho, I looked at some pics and found this of the engine I will hang on my SS-2000. This is from rigging my previous boat... I bought this 200xs new in crate from Allison boats in february 2009. It is a '06 - one of the two last that left Mercury Racing. It now has 17 hours on it. It is powerful and run very cheap. I ran with a friend who had the same boat but a 2.5 200efi - we did a +80 nautical mile trip mixed driving :big grin and he did away with just over 80 liters of fuel (just over 21 US gallons) while I did +50 liters (13 US gallons)...

Everything is stock (15" mid, 1:87 SportMaster) except the exhaust plate block off on the mid that I have removed. It weighs 434lbs + trim pump. I have spoken to Darris Allison about this engine on my SS-2000 due to the weight and it is ok...

I have short moments seen 6850rpm on my SmartCraft SC-1000 rev but have read that some 200xs has a 6500rpm rev limiter - could it be that it differs between the 15 and 20 mids? :confused:

Last edited:

aeneas

The ice is melting away from the Norwegian fjords and spring will soon be here - time to "put my skates on" and start with the boat.

I have had help identifying the jack plate - an Allison 8/9 manual - that is supposed to be for both S and L mids. It is for L now so I need to change. The question is how? Is there a manual/instruction? Do I take it off, take it apart and switch the inner half around..? :confused:

I'm going to order a hydraulic steering - the SeaStar Pro (Allison kit) any recommendations on where from?

Last edited:

aeneas

Thank you gentlemen! I'll get right on it!

The jack plate: any input on how to adjust it for a ss-mid?

Last edited: