aeneas

Allison SS-2000 in new waters...

Hi,
I have now been a member at this great forum for a while but since I now actually own an Allison I thought I would

Last edited:

aeneas

My previous boat was a Hydrolift T-17; a 24 degree v with a convex pad designed in 1984 by Norwegian Egil Ranvig. It was built by Swedish company Hydroline and was a light layup (550lbs) for 90hp. When I bought the boat I thought it was a reinforced model for V6 power because of some features normally found only on the reinforced boats. I did some work reinforcing the boat: Divinycell core, stringers and floor and found a new in crate Mercury 200xs SS SM at Allison Boats and went 87mph at best. I could perhaps have squeezed another couple of miles out of it but it was hard to handle with the prop I used at the time (Mercury Lightning ET 28p). It just created too much lift with me alone in the boat. One picture in this post illustrates the ride with 0 trim and two people on board up front. The best prop I tested for the boat was a Winrace thru hub cleaver (Mercury inspiration I believe). That was beautiful, I remember the first ride with that prop - a friend of mine (reigning Norwegian champion in Offshore 3C with Mercury 200xs) and I took it out and the entire boat lifted leaving just the gearcase in the water. I could not trim out as the bullhorn would catch the transom (0 trim)… The boat was built for 20” mids – not 15.

I am now very curious of what to expect from my Allison. I will rig her with my Merc 200xs 15" SM - the same as in the pics. All tips & tricks regarding rigging and setup are welcome! I live by the Oslo fjord where we in places have lots of traffic and even without any wind can have a 2’ chop. I have spoken several times to Darris Allison about this and he recommended me the Excel to withstand the conditions.

Last edited:

Allyfishing

Welcome to the Allison family!! Joe Burke has an SS and he may be able to give you some insight as well as Larry Owens. they both have a ton of experience with the SS model. I'll try to contact them and get on this post to help ya out.

Also, if it were me I would try to contact the factory and they too will give you tons of help and advice. they are great people.

Craig :very happy

aeneas

Thank you! :)
I am greatful for all info and help I can get!

I have spoken to the Allisons a couple of times (since February '09 when I bought the engine from them), very nice people!

strip

It's cool to hear from our brothers from afar. Keep us posted on how the rigging is going. That 200xs will be some nice power for that SS. It will be a cool set up for sure.

aeneas

Thank you! :)
I'll keep you up to date on the project. There are many things to think about from steering, setback, engine height to lower, prop and perhaps even a skidplaner. Also I will consider a carpet that I can remove to dry and/or clean, a cover, gauges (original in now but I would like SmartCraft rpm and there is no trim gauge) etc. I am greatful for all tips & tricks! :)

I will have to convert the Boat Mate trailer coupler, wheel axis and electrics to Norwegian/European standard.

Last edited:

RedAllison

Welcome aboard!!!

The stock SS can be a handful and tricky. However THE best and easiest driving Allison I've ever driven was Lou's old SS with a 15" 260. I mean it was a cakewalk at 99.5. The bottom was worked by Glenn Reynolds. Get with our administrator Hotprop (Jeff Calbaugh, he's Glenn's engine man and all around goodun). He might can give you insight into what mods they do underneath. I would for sure do that, you'll be in the 90s quickly with that 200XS.

:beer:
RA

aeneas

Hi RA,
Thank you for the welcome and the tip! When the time comes I will contact Hotprop. Very impressive forum you have - first helping me find that beautiful boat and now also sharing contacts and hard earned knowledge! I will spend the long and cold winter setting the boat up and will no doubt consult you all via a project thread if that is ok?

Last edited:

RedAllison

I will spend the long and cold winter setting the boat up and will no doubt consult you all via a project thread if that is ok?

1st and foremost we are family and friends here. 2ndly we're here to help each other. There's ALOT of knowledge on this board, no one particular person is an expert on it all but combined the members here have "been there done that" and are quick to help.

Good luck, that's a FINE lookin rig in a particularly awesome color,:very happy :beer:
RA

Allyfishing

I just gotta ask.......do you pronounce your name like this?

http://visual.merriam-webster.com/sounds/animal-kingdom/mollusks/snail/07261.aif

:LMAO:

Great looking boat too!
Neal, you freakn' crack me up!! I would have expected Don (F2008) to get to this one first. Ya beat him to it!!

:LMAO:

Sorry aeneas, but you do realize you are going to have to put the Webster Dictionary's pronunciation of this on the post.

Again, welcome aboard!! I'll try to get ahold of Wormie for ya.

Yeah, the pics of the boats are great!

aeneas

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I hope to live up to the AllisonOwners family standard... :big grin In Sweden there is a saying (free translation) "Beloved child has many names". You guys just ripped me a new one..! :beer:

//Nicky

Last edited:

jimbob88

Welcome to the ally family. Finally got to meet a good number of these goofballs in person after being on the board for a couple years. Great people and very helpful. They will mess with you as well, as you have already seen. Lol. Wealth of knowledge between all of them. Where in sweden were you from? Jim

jimbob88

Was over there when the Minnesota vikings played the Chicago bears in gothenberg. '87 or '88? Flew into oslo and did the touristy stuff and. Then to sweden. Absolutey beautiful over there. Very plush green. I was in high school and our marching band was the halftime entertainment. Great trip! Did some solo parades and practiced at some soccer fields. Drew some curious crowds.lol

aeneas

That sounds like a great trip! You being from Minnesota(?), perhaps you have Swedish origins? In Sweden we play soccer, icehockey, handball, bandy, indoor hockey and some basketball - non teamsports are mainly skiing. The NHL is very popular. The concept of american football falls the second the football is picked up and handled..! :big grin The NFL and the Super bowl has been on TV since the '80s. My late father was very interested but then he lived 17 years in the US, attended University of Virginia and served 2 years in the US Army as MP Civil Investigator in Germany (he spoke German so he was posted there instead of Korea).
My sister studied at Parson's in NYC so I visited a few times - fantastic party town! Have also been to Florida - loved it! I would like to explore the US much more!

jimbob88

You forgot curling. The members of the us men's Olympic team are from right around my hometown. Play with/ against them at different bonspiels. Hope you enjoy your boat!

aeneas

Welcome to the family!!!
Thank you! :smile
You forgot curling. The members of the us men's Olympic team are from right around my hometown. Play with/ against them at different bonspiels. Hope you enjoy your boat!
Wow, you play at a very high level! Yes, curling is very popular, also a very local sport.
Probably like my favorite class to watch - H1 Unlimited Hydroplanes - mainly from the North West (Washington)?.

About boat racing: I love the film with the XR-2001/Johnson 150 on the start page! Is there a version with better quality?

Last edited: