new high in the xb2002

TBuck2003

86-8700 1:75's 27 T-3X Sport. Should be able to pull some better numbers with the 210lb heads. From what I am told the motor puts out another 20-30 h.p. with the tight heads. Usually I would not concur with compression helping top end but it has to do with the radical porting, and the eye brow port design. We will see maybe next year. Like I said never even got wet this year. Matt's little boat dominated the landscape this year !!!

TBuck

chad202

The back if the pad on my 03 was extremely sharp and that boat handled on rails. My lip on this 02 is .035. Like I said still early in setup. Only had it out once with light load and one prop. It was either too windy or I may have been too high.

TBuck2003

Chad couple things that are different. I believe you had little or no lip on the 03'. .035 on the 02' is quite a bit different considering the speeds are higher, and the forces are working a lot more. I think you said you are at 12 or 14 inches on your set back, if that is correct I think you will eventually move in quite a bit. That nose will probably get a little light without taking a set at that set back IMO.

Tbuck

BruceMerc

Chad couple things that are different. I believe you had little or no lip on the 03'. .035 on the 02' is quite a bit different considering the speeds are higher, and the forces are working a lot more. I think you said you are at 12 or 14 inches on your set back, if that is correct I think you will eventually move in quite a bit. That nose will probably get a little light without taking a set at that set back IMO.

Tbuck
What is the stock lip on the 02'......I believe I read somewhere around .065? Thanks Bruce

whipper

"whipper"
i run aces!! i have to, im running 165 lbs comp, and have a very lean fuel curve. it would melt without it!

roy

Yes im out right now got some off Todd two seasons back and ran out this summer. I have to get some this winter again off him. I really liked useing it. Aces seemed to make a differance when I used the higher 93 or 94 octain with it. With the tighter heads and fattened fuel curve with aces the engine seemed way punchier. All round snappier.

suicidealli

race gas has a lot more zing to it. aces makes it posible to run higher comp, and get by with it, but the perfect oct for your comp is better. there are all kinds of race gas out there with additives, oxygen, etc. they peform better than aces!!! running some extra comp 150-165 you dont need a lot more oct, just some, that is where aces helps. if i ran 110 oct race fuel with 165 lbs comp my boat would slow down from to much oct. having the correct oct, your boat/engine will perform better.JMO

roy

chad202

Todd, with my limited time in the boat, I'm not so sure yet on the setback. I don't find the nose got flighty. I was running neutral trim or just a tick negative. I can tell the entire boat was out the water and running very level. Kurt was running on side of me and said I only had inches in the water. I'm gonna look at the pad again to make sure its perfect and try to get a day with the right conditions to try it again. If it still doesn't take set then I'm gonna come down 1/4" and see.

suicidealli

chad, mine doesnt do well in the wind at all!!!!! with just a little boat in the water, the wind has a huge effect! try in some calm wind before you change anything.
Are you running a factory 15" or a 20"????
i just went to a 10 plate, and im running a fatory 15".. i was 9 1/4, and it was awesome, but it was a 20" plate turned upside down. it has been to windy here to run top end numbers. time will tell.

roy

chad202

If i set it up like everybody else, it'll run the same as them. Kinda defeats who I am.

Last edited:

chad202

Roy and Todd, I think it'll be hard to find a setup and works for everything as ya'll know. I fish tournaments, 1 a month and 9 with a partner. I think 12-14 will be the ticket for that load. I've never tried coming in with this boat or my 03. Most everyone said I should've come in with my 03 since the lip was gone and having a 260+hp motor but it was a great running boat at 14" and one of the fastest I know. I just think further back makes sense to me but I really don't know alot about the 02s.

TBuck2003

Roy and Todd, I think it'll be hard to find a setup and works for everything as ya'll know. I fish tournaments, 1 a month and 9 with a partner. I think 12-14 will be the ticket for that load. I've never tried coming in with this boat or my 03. Most everyone said I should've come in with my 03 since the lip was gone and having a 260+hp motor but it was a great running boat at 14" and one of the fastest I know. I just think further back makes sense to me but I really don't know alot about the 02s.
Chad,
I agree with your load that your set back will work for you... You will just have to set up accordingly for solo playing. Remember also that all of our bottoms will NOT be the same, therefore leading us to different results with set ups. The best running 03's that I have seen have been at14" We are currently at 9.5" counting the 2" for the SS 15" mid. In saying that when Allison Blueprinted the bottom they rounded off the back edge of the pad, which makes the rear squat a lil more providing bow lift. Supposedly that also directs water up to gearcase and prop to help with blow out at high motor height. So we came in to decrease bow lift. You hit the trim one little bleep after 105-110 and that bow would point to the man on the moon!!!! My asshole told me something was not right...lol I know you will find the BEST for your set up Chad, you always do Brutha !!!!

TBuck

chad202

Good info Todd. My thinking and may be wrong but I counteract too much lift with more engine height as apposed to reducing setback. I actually believe in a way they achieve the same results???

TBuck2003

I can definitely see your point Chad as you run extreme height, the gearcase surfaces giving you tail lift which drops the bow to some extent. But keep in mind leverage is a powerful force, and just like a teeter totter the further back you move, the other side comes up. At what point they cancel out is where you come in !!!! Best of Luck. Be fast Be safe

TBuck

bigtis

Good info Todd. My thinking and may be wrong but I counteract too much lift with more engine height as apposed to reducing setback. I actually believe in a way they achieve the same results???
Bingo. The more setback you run, the less trim you need to carry the bow. The more negative trim you run the more the gearcase surfaces. Add setback with engine height and some negative degrees of trim, and you got a fast, clean, dry running boat. I've found that more setback makes the boat more predictable when preparing for blowouts.

suicidealli

Bingo. The more setback you run, the less trim you need to carry the bow. The more negative trim you run the more the gearcase surfaces. Add setback with engine height and some negative degrees of trim, and you got a fast, clean, dry running boat. I've found that more setback makes the boat more predictable when preparing for blowouts.

I agree, also when I was way back there in other ally's it didn't seem to make that hard bat turn!!! I did it twice to where I was steering the hell out of it to keep it under control. instead of the bat turn. Easier to balance with the motor way back there too. Not sure what the perfect setback is, but whatever can make you push it to the limits, and still be safe.... I ran my best top end with 9" so far. I'm trying 10-13 next.... My lip is stock but i did straighten out the lip, along with the last 4' of the pad. Trial and error Chad.. I'm doing the samething.. In time we will have the best set up for us.

Roy