new high in the xb2002

bigtis

be careful chad. the 02 is a different animal.. to much trim she will come around.roy
the 03 is more finicky to setup for big numbers. chad will have no problems feeling out the 02.

the 02 is alot safer boat to setup for big #'s. once it gets close to being where it needs to be, I usually go up the thickness of a quarter .25$ and before it'll blow out and turn around I can put right steer into it once the bow drops and it'll pick the bow back up. I then start decelarating while veering right because the slight right steer puts more water to the prop.

My setup is different than most, as usual. I took the lip down to .035, sanded the last 4'. I'm running 14" of setback. I've only been running it with full fishing load and it run trips with 25 trophy and cut chopper. This is a little over 1" above. I've stripped her down, everything out except one battery and next weekend at Lake concordia I'm gonna feel her out with my big wheel I had for my 03. I think it'll have too much bow lift but I'll feel it out. I may have to come in with the motor. I've been going up to get my trim a tick under neutral and have reached that but that was loaded and I know it'll be a good bit different light.
you are dead nuts on the bow lift thing. Props that were too lifty on my 02's turned out to be 1off's for the 03's.

chad202

Well winds kept the boat from taking set but did manage several 109-110 passes.

whipper

You guys are making me drool in this thread!! If you keep this up everyones going to be looking for an 02 and there wont be any left to buy.
Awsome Roy and Chad I cant emagine what 110+ feels like with a outboard! been there a couple times with a BB but 102 was it with an outboard and I was passanger and that was just scary sitting inline behind the driver not seeing any thing!!!
Awsome thread!!:beer:

chad202

I've been 100+ in 02 and 03. The other 02s ive done it in literly drove themselves. Mine however did not. I think it was cause it was cause of the wind inconjunction with extreme engine height.

suicidealli

mine drives pretty easy over all. when all out i have to drive it a little. im trying a different set up right now, and it isnt driving as nice. i have to drop the motor some.

bullwhipjkg

yall makin me jealous i gotta get a real motor ive been 101 in mine with a 245

got a promax on it now and best run too date is 96.4

i think there is a lil more in it with setup and prop work dont think it will make it too 100 though

whipper

yall makin me jealous i gotta get a real motor ive been 101 in mine with a 245

got a promax on it now and best run too date is 96.4

i think there is a lil more in it with setup and prop work dont think it will make it too 100 though

Probably not without a lighter flywheel,acu good to 7500-8000 rpm, tight heads,fuel regulator,and SVS. Then a good heathly 30-31 pitch should get ya just up to 100 maybe 101.:beer:eek:r a stock 260/280 :beer:

suicidealli

all 2002 run a little different as do all ally's. some are just faster. dont ask me why. i have a light one. my motor isnt stock except for the block!!! im running some trick stuff, and some normal modes. stronger than any stock drag i have had. i'm prolly getting an extra 400 rpm's more than what this motor use to pull.
a good 245 should run well over a 100. a 225pm should run over a 100 on a comp for sure, a tourney should run a right at a 100 set up right.
i think i can run a 100 with a worked 200 pm. it would take some time, but it can be done. IMO set up, set up, set up!!!!
i have found out that props will make or brake you. cheapest mph you can get.
i think the average guy sets his boat up, and it runs very well. they buy a new prop, and just bolt it on, and say it isnt faster than my best prop. you may have to tweak the set up some to get the best performance out of each prop. My fasted prop right now is a ET cut chopper, that has been balanced, and labbed. i love a stock small ear chopper, they run very well on a 2002, but dont last long. i just bought an SRX i want to try, but it needs a new hub, and the season is just about over for me.

roy

whipper

Roy gota tottaly agree with props and setup for sure even on my hull. Ive had a worked 30 Small ear chopper run 97 a few years back and the next closest 30 ive tryed was 92 and change. So 5mph just with a prop!!

Theres all sorts of little {tricks} that add up also. For instance I always thought having a sharp transom edge behind the pad/lip was best untill Darris told me to round it very slightly. That was good for 1.5-2 mph with the same prop.:beer: Bullet shape,aspect ratio etc... They all add up but a good worked prop seems to always yield the best bang for buck.

Roy do run Aces at all? i really notice my motor runs punchier with it mostly when Im mixing it with good pump 94 over 91.

chad202

What's the logic behind the rear of the pad rolled and not sharp? I have my ideas but just curious ad to darris's logic?

TBuck2003

Takes a little of tail lift out Chad, and settles down the *** end of boat. Also directs better water flow to prop to prevent loss of bite. Flip side you better compensate prop wise for the extra bow lift. Put too much of a roll in and the bow lift will be extreme and undriveable at high speeds...

TBuck

chad202

It's not neccessary faster or slower, just depends what ur setup needs? I like sharp but may round to allow the water to feed off a little higher. Plus I find my tail is a little unsettling, don't really wanna take set. To early in setup to know for sure cause it was a little windy.

Last edited:

whipper

Give Darris a call Chad on this for you 02. I cant remember the whole whys and why nots. I got a PM last night saying he was told the same thing but he figured Darris said at a 45 deg angle. I recall him saying just not super sharp just a little blunt. He told me to take a file and just lghtly take the sharp edge off is all. i knew on Jetboats sharper is good thats why i sharpened mine. My speeds are so slow compared to yours I would ask the man him self telling him your setup and what he recomends weather an angle or just not cut your self sharp.

TBuck2003

It's not neccessary faster or slower, just depends what ur setup needs? I like sharp but may round to allow the water to feed off a little higher. Plus I find my tail is a little unsettling, don't really wanna take set. To early in setup to know for sure cause it was a little windy.
Chad it will help the tail settle in for sure. Just as an FYI a little goes a long way... BTW Whipper it is a round edge at the back of pad not an angle that I am referring to. Our 02' is rounded at the back, quite a bit and we have compensated with weight to overcome the issues. Have been 114 with my 260 and 118 with a bone stock drag with 155psi. More left but did not even pull it out all year. Set up and more set up !!! Good luck n be safe.

TBuck

whipper

Cool thanks. I thought Darris said rounded not angled. Mines rounded on the GS just a little bit now. Because My lip isn't stock to much gives to much bow rise as you mentioned. The stern sorta slips off more and down. Same principal different hull.

Chad you have some lip taken down dont you, so you probably dont need as much as a 02 with stock lip as the lip forces the bow down. Just not sharp.

suicidealli

Chad it will help the tail settle in for sure. Just as an FYI a little goes a long way... BTW Whipper it is a round edge at the back of pad not an angle that I am referring to. Our 02' is rounded at the back, quite a bit and we have compensated with weight to overcome the issues. Have been 114 with my 260 and 118 with a bone stock drag with 155psi. More left but did not even pull it out all year. Set up and more set up !!! Good luck n be safe.

TBuck
todd what gears, and prop pitch, rpm's are you running?

"whipper"
i run aces!! i have to, im running 165 lbs comp, and have a very lean fuel curve. it would melt without it!

roy