I want to be an Allison Owner

Jr in Jax

On an Ally, if you don't have chips out of the pad, you are not using it enough.

I just had Jack Barsh take the chips out of my pad/regel coat it and it made absolutely no difference in performance. Who would have thought?

Iowafshr

It seems squirly and it probably has a lot to do with my in experience but its missing a fair amount ofbthe lip on the left side so I was hoping it might make it a little easier to drive. Also how much play is acceptable in hydrolic steering? There isn't much but what there is may be causing me to over correct. Um going to work on balanceing the load better, I knew going into it a side steer was going to be a challenge. I can't wait to take it out again hopefully we don't get snow like they forecast.

xb03fs

Time and balancing the load are your best freinds.

whipper

So that's why all those mastercrafts and ski nautiques have foot throttles.
I know this one. Its because there boats cant go fast enough for the need of both hands on the wheel.
Also a Tournament boat need to stay within points of a MPH. With the torque of a direct drive and 350-500+hp V8 they can leave the throttle and maintain course speed with one hand on the wheel. They actually have a computer now were they set the speed and it will automatically adjust to maintain correct speed.Called {perfict pass} Unless your into skiing for competition theres no need for all of this stuff. A 2.5 or 3.0lT outboard on an Allison will ski just fine for 99% of us with the right prop.

Iowafshr

How do you measure the prop shaft height. Just by looking at it I think the motor is too low (1"+ too low). Could this make it harder to drive? I was looking at the jack plate and its cranked almost all of the way down and the motor has a 20" mid.

SLOmofo

How do you measure the prop shaft height. Just by looking at it I think the motor is too low (1"+ too low). Could this make it harder to drive? I was looking at the jack plate and its cranked almost all of the way down and the motor has a 20" mid.
Use the SEARCH button and type in "Prop shaft height"

Basically level hull and engine. I use an 8' level on the ground. Measure down to it from hull and center of prop shaft. Difference is height. Remember the LIP.

whipper

Use the SEARCH button and type in "Prop shaft height"

Basically level hull and engine. I use an 8' level on the ground. Measure down to it from hull and center of prop shaft. Difference is height. Remember the LIP.
And then you may still have to do it again another day just to find you were off by a bit.:big grin The seat of your pants will help you also.

Also put the level on your flywheel to find nutral for your motor. With the flywheel level so should your foil be. If the hulls not then you need to adjust your trailer up or down. I like the lazer on the prop shaft way. Because you dont know if the hulls very level makes all this more confusing to me.

Can you level the hull buy useing the pad a foot ahead of the lip as a level point for the hull?

Bobalouie

Thats what I do Whipper. I level with a 2' level with the back edge of the level about 6-8" in front of the lip. Level there with the tounge jack, then I trim the motor with a 8" magnetic digital level stuck to the propshaft until it reads level, then measure and subtract.

Iowafshr

Ok so the motor was basically all the way down on the Jack plate. I followed your dirrections and raised it up to about 3/4" below. I drove it for a bit and ran it to 75 with 3 people. It seemed a lot more stable and I could have gone faster but didn't want to endanger anyone. I think I might bring the motor up a little more too. My big question here is what is a conservative top speed with this setup? Setup: stock Allison Jack plat, 200 promax and a 26 tempest. I said conservative because Ill probably never have a super light load and I don't want to get my hopes up lol. Also any disadvantages to this prop?

TIA
Jason

Iowafshr

Update

Just figured I'd post an update. Since I purchased the boat in April I've spent some time on setup, and tried some different props. Recently ran a best of 89.8, and can cruise with the fiance sitting next to me at 83. I'd like to thank msethsmile for helping me with setup and his seemingly endless supply of props to try, and I couldn't have done it without him:at the bar This has been one of the best summers ever, and I am not looking forward to the long Iowa winter.

I also just learned that we have a new basscat dealer in town, and one of the guys who just ordered his wants to be the fastest bass boat in Des Moines :laughing and he knows about me now. I don't know if I'm officially the fastest, but I wouldn't mind if smile would put his 260 back together to take some pressure off me :big grin

Here's a vid my buddy took last weekend:
http://www.youtube.com/user/djones8200#p/a/u/1/yek_q8OSNHY

msethsmile

Funny Guy
There is a minimum of 5 mph left in that boat. At what speed should a person get nervous about a stock cle on a xb02 (blowout)?

Ps. The dealer made the comment (with Jason in mind), "I will have the fastest bassboat in Des Moines." I know zero about Blazers (his new line) but they look alot like Bullets.

Last edited:

xb03fs

I was told CLE are not very safe once you approach and go past 90. I don't run mid 80's but for potection I had Titus cone my CLE before I ever ran it.

Iowafshr

Oh yeah it is a blazer dealer. My understanding is the person who started the company used to work for bullet. I think they are a heavier copy of them. My cle is coned, but I don't know who did it. It is starting to crack so I'm cleaning it up this winter.

xb03fs

If it is coned I believe you are good to go. I don't run fast enough to matter but I believe if it is coned and has a torque tab you are good to go.

Texan

Glad you got it all worked out. I do know a good guy that is the chit's when it comes to Merc's in Desmonezzz. I've got another real good friend that has turned me on to him there and maybe there could be some coincidental associations that could be beneficial for you in your effort to be the fastest in Desmonezzz. This guy is into older boats but he's a champ when it comes to towers of power and even some of the newer (early '90 to current 2.5's) that have been out there. PM me and I'll get his info to you one way or another.

I wouldn't toss this out there if I didn't have didn't have confidence and a back up. There are a couple of us down this way that know this man and think well of him. He's more old school than new when it comes to hulls, but still likes to tinker with the newer stuff and make it sing and bling.

Iowafshr

Anyone ran a cones cle into the 90's?

Texan send me his info I don't know of any merc guys around here.

xb03fs

Do a search on screamandfly thats where I got my info that and the allison readbook. If I remmber right it said a stock CLE would blow out in the high 80's low 90's depending on load, a blowout ring and a torque tab would allow for a couple more mph and then adding a cone increased the aspect ratio similar to a sporty which should be good to about 100 or more.. the best case being a coned 200 case which is slightly narrow and faster with an even higher blowout speed, and the ultimate but very fragile case being a 1.78 XR4 gearcase WITH a cone but they "don't like abuse" and are prone to failure. I spent hours a couple years ago searching for all the information...
I chose the CLE becuase they are cheap and had a stronger propshaft and then sent it to get coned. I would love a sporty but they are spendy...I have a spare 200 case that needs to be puttied.

CLE are supposedly 1 to 2 mph slower and need to be jacked a little higher than a 200 case....The last year or so I stoped measuring gearcase height, I put a mark on my gearcase that I new was safe and work my way up from there 1/8" at a time with new props.

Scott in MN

Anyone ran a cones cle into the 90's?

Texan send me his info I don't know of any merc guys around here.
I've ran one into the low triple digits with my 245. Was told it went 114 on another Allison. CLE with a Bob's cone,torque tab, 200 cut skeg and the blowout ring was mostly removed. I thought it drove OK until I put a coned 200 on and then I found out what a nice driving Ally was.
CLE was glitchy, if the bow dropped to the right at speed, hang on.... it was drivin time and hope nothing happened. It did not like being below the pad but I never ran there after the first couple of weeks of learning to drive. CLE has strength over the 200 but I don't see myself ever going back. If I was going to get a cruising lower I would probably save up the dollars and have one of the gurus mod a sportmaster.

Scott

Iowafshr

Thanks Scott your input means a lot. I know ill eventually end up with a coned 200, but for now guess I'm taking the risk with the cle until I can afford it.

xb03fs

Scott, at what speeds to the coned CLE's get glitchy? I think I have pushed my boat fairly hard without blowing out thus far but I am SLOW.
At what measures even or there abouts. I have trimmed until it has layed to the right. At about 1/2" higher or therabouts it takes less trim but when I feel I am near the max instead of laying to the right side it will try so a kinda dip right/kinda like you would have to put pressure right instead of left to keep it rolling smooth and thats when I know I need to bump it down.

With passengers I have never pushed to these reference points?? I am just a newbie. At the speeds I run 80 to 85 depending on load it seems to handle well and can keep it strung out for miles if the water conditions allow