I want to be an Allison Owner

aeneas

If your worried about control in skiing, run two throttle cables (foot and traditional) to the motor. Switch them when you want to ski, it takes all of 15 seconds. I highly recommend a ski pole tri-pod. I use a Swivel-Ease. The hand throttle is also good for cruising.
There is a foot throttle that works with the traditional throttle without having to switch - check Sjoeberg Racing or send me a pm and I will send you the info.

xb03fs

I think the foot trottle works for skiing just as well I was very sceptacle as well using a hot foot to ski with. I think there is more control as the foot trottle seems much more sensitive than the hand trottle. And as most skiers know the hand trottles at part trottle do not stay exactly in place so you still have to hold the trottle, its not like cruising where you can just set it and forget it.

Lotus 50

I've got two boats, one with a hand throttle, the Ally with a foot throttle. The foot throttle is better for skiing no contest. A pylon is a good idea. You'll pull the boat around less with a pylon.

strip

I can tell you that a foot throttle absolutely ROCKS pulling a tube! ok....The Allison acceleration helps a little too! LOL!

msethsmile

Funny Guy
So that's why all those mastercrafts and ski nautiques have foot throttles.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Hey aeneas,
I see from your posting you are from Norway. Is that Norway, Iowa? (Great Baseball there, you know, "The Final Season"--movie)

Iowafshr

Ok I'm convinced, now I just need to convince the bank I need one too lol.

Varmint2002 I'm pretty sure I've seen your boat, and I saw the xr also.

I've only seen one Allison in my area, It was on Saylorville Lake a couple years ago. Hopefully by next spring I'll be out there in one of my own.

biller31

Buy one and get it right. Then take care of it and store it indoors and you will never need to buy another boat again. Ever. Unless of course you just get the affliction and want to have an Allison for every occasion. I'm wanting to build another garage for just that reason. :)

msethsmile

Funny Guy
Iowafshr--
As far as I know, my 03 is the only Allison in central IA. There was a xb02 here a few years back but he moved away. There's probably not more than 6-10 in the entire state.

Closest stocking dealer is probably in TN.

msethsmile

Funny Guy
P Williams-
I heard they moved CR to central Iowa. Did you get a new zip code too?

Iowafshr

Well after many months I'm finally going to look at the boat. We're meeting at a river so I'll get to see how it runs. The asking price is in my range, but that means it'll need some TLC. My biggest concern right now is the motor. It has a 2.5 200 efi on it. The seller wasn't sure what lower was on it, but he did say it was coned.How can I tell? What should I be checking on the motor? Does anyone know how easy it is to get to the spark plugs? I'm taking some tools and a compression gauge with me. My worst fear is the motor will blow on me and I won't be able to afford to fix it.

Lotus 50

Take the cover off and the plugs are right there at the back of the engine. Easy.
Everyone says leakdown is better than compression to assess engine health, but compression is a good start.
A nose coned gear case generally has a longer pointed end, and no water pick ups above the point.
Good luck. Ally's can be a lot of fun.

Iowafshr

Well I am now officially a member of the club. Brought home the 02 yesterday. Will post picks later, and I have plenty of questions.

Iowafshr

Well I got it to 78 on GPS today. It still had more in it, but I think that's about as far as I'm going to push it until I get the chips on the pad fixed.

xb03fs

Well I got it to 78 on GPS today. It still had more in it, but I think that's about as far as I'm going to push it until I get the chips on the pad fixed.
Great job it took me a couple months to get to the upper 70's in my 03 with a 200 EFI...I have a bunch of pad chips too but I havn't got the nerve to fix them yet because I don't want to make it worse...

There is a screamand fly rally in late July in Pekin area, there was a hydrostream or two that came from Iowa.. the turnout was pretty good, about 25 boats, with 5 or 6 being Allisons and 5 or 6 being Hydrostreams, a Skater and some tunnel hulls, I hope to make it again this year

john4utvols

The chips do need to be fixed, But I wouldn't worry about them hurting your performace with a 150. I ran my SS over 100 with some pretty big chips out of the corner of the pad.