I want to be an Allison Owner

Iowafshr

New guy here. I'm Jason and I've been lurking for a while and I've wanted an Allison since I first saw one in Chetek WI about 10yrs ago. I have finally started a search for my own. I've come across what I think is a boat that could be in my price range a 94 xb2002. My price range won't afford me a pristine boat so I'm looking for some expert opinions on what I need to be looking at. I also would like to know what you think its worth. The seller has been extremely helpful since we live about 5 hours apart and has sent me pictures of some of the problem areas of the boat (scratches and chips). The pictures are in my email and if you'd like to see them and give me your opinion let me know I would appreciate it.

I'm also not very familiar with materials used in these boats. It seems like most of the Allisons out there were well taken care of. I'm just wondering if there have been any issues with the core, stringers and transom?

Again Thanks
Jason

xb03fs

Um, I am a new owner myself and all I can say is driving them is addicting and an incredible amount of fun.

Iowafshr

Thats great news. Now I can mark my biggest worry off.

I'm really looking forward to owning one. All I've been reading about is how much fun they are.

Here is a picture of some chips in the back of the pad. It also appears that a part of a thru hull is missing? Are these repairable? I'm not sure if there are any on the running surface yet, and I'll be sure to check the straitness and the lip when i get a chance to look at it.

Last edited:

Iowafshr

Fishing mostly and some skiing. Which leads me to another question. How hard is it to hold a consistent speed for skiing with the foot throttle? I usually control my speed watching the tach rather than a speedo.

whipper

Fishing mostly and some skiing. Which leads me to another question. How hard is it to hold a consistent speed for skiing with the foot throttle? I usually control my speed watching the tach rather than a speedo.
Its easy as pie to ski with the foot. I use a GPS and have zero trouble keeping her at a constant speed even to the point of a MPH. Once you go foot thottle youll never go back.

xb03fs

I ski a lot and I agree it is much easier to dial in speed with the foot throttle much more sensitive than the hand throttle.

I was skeptical as well about the whole foot trottle, I am convinced. With inexperienced skiers the shifting is a little less convienent but nothing that would deter me from the benefits of a foot trottle

Iowafshr

Thanks for all of the feed back. Its making me even more determined to buy one. I know if I do get one this fall I'll be running it late into the season lol.

xb03fs

I also am a slalom skier and I might mention, although the wake isnt the small and not large it seems "soft" and the ski cuts right through it pretty smoothly

bc's xtb21

I have owned 14 different bass boats,as well as I used to work building bass boats.My last two have been Ally's and to me there is nothing out there even comparable.My curent boat is a '89 xtb21 which I restored,wouldn't trade it for a 2010 model cookie cutter boat! Good luck gettig one LOTS of great info on here.

22R

I have owned 14 different bass boats,as well as I used to work building bass boats.My last two have been Ally's and to me there is nothing out there even comparable.My curent boat is a '89 xtb21 which I restored,wouldn't trade it for a 2010 model cookie cutter boat! Good luck gettig one LOTS of great info on here.
What Bass Boats did you build ?

22R

RobShaw-BasSport

I too have owned a bunch of bassboats. I wont bore you with listing all of them, but my last few were a 2008 Champion 210 Elite, 2005 BassCat Puma, 2000 Ranger 520, 2001 Triton TR-20. All of those boats were purchased new and for the most part, have pretty good reputations/award recognition/ etc.

Ive also owned an Allison XB2003 in the past. It was that XB2003 that made me realize that as soon as Allison built a "traditional" layout bass boat, I would buy it!

Of all of the brands Ive owned, and theres several others that arent listed, NOTHING comes close to the quality and detail of an Allison. Some brands are supposedly the best ride in rough water, some brands supposedly have the best customer service. All I know is that my 21' BasSport Pro takes rough water much better than my 21 Champion did, and as far as customer service...I really dont know as Ive never needed it with my Allison!:wink

bc's xtb21

In response to 22R's question back in the day I worked for Challenger Boats, which was was located in Fayetteville Tn. Good folks to work for, learned alot about fiberglass/gel work but they were strictly mass produced chopper gun boats.

bringit

once u own 1 its really hard to imagine not having 1.u will get alot of looks and compliments im sure,welcome shawn.i was thinking of getting a stv but hullbilly talked me out of it,hee hee hee heee

DragAlly02

Somes guys buy tottal beat up allys and make them beautys... does not take much to get one looking good again... real good

Mike

msethsmile

Funny Guy
If your worried about control in skiing, run two throttle cables (foot and traditional) to the motor. Switch them when you want to ski, it takes all of 15 seconds. I highly recommend a ski pole tri-pod. I use a Swivel-Ease. The hand throttle is also good for cruising.

Last edited:

varmint2002

Jason
Just a little trivia.
If you saw an White/Red XB 2002 with a 280 ss merc on Chetek about 10 years ago it was probably me, Been fishing there for many years. I have the only locally owned Ally I know of in this area of Wisconsin. There was an xr2002 with a 225 ripping around on the Chetek chain there for a while but haven't seen it for several years now.

Gary