E-85 for our 260s?

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
How much crankcase pressure is there on a regular engine? I'd think that would still shut the reed?

Last edited:

90 5.0

Do you need to if you always have positive pressure?
hmmm, maybe a better question is how would you get the exhuast side ot shut to build cylinder pressure,

would it just keep them all open all the time??

I know people have struggled hard with finding a workable sc 2 stroke before.

it always posed interesting questions to me.

seems like you could make a small v4 turbo 4 stroke put out some serious hp/weight ratio though.

Might not spool up fast enough on a boat though, also poses som e interesting problems, like exhaust routing..

M.ALEXIE

hmmm, maybe a better question is how would you get the exhuast side ot shut to build cylinder pressure,

would it just keep them all open all the time??

I know people have struggled hard with finding a workable sc 2 stroke before.

it always posed interesting questions to me.

seems like you could make a small v4 turbo 4 stroke put out some serious hp/weight ratio though.

Might not spool up fast enough on a boat though, also poses som e interesting problems, like exhaust routing..
It's be done before. Someone here have the picture of an xr2002 with a turbo setting a speed record.

suicidealli

Tim ran some big numbers back in the day with an xb 2002 as well. I want to say high teens, or 120 with a 260. He blew a lower, and put another one together, and blew his powerhead. He put some big numbers up tho... I have talked to tim a few times about it..
I have talked to him about his new prop too. He was going to come up, and we were going to do some testing on my boat. I was in the process of rebuilding the drag tho...

Roy

RBT

Don't need reeds once there is positive pressure, supercharges. Do not work, turbos do. Turbos create back pressure which keeps the charge.
Turbo 2-strokes work well, sled guys have been doing it for years, A popular engine is a Polaris 800 twin, without power valves.

ally2dextreme

All good questions i must admit i dont know anything about a two stroke,thats why i want to do it i need a change and like doing what others hadnt done yet.I do remember seeing a small whipple i believe on a 3.0 but i cant seem to find it anywhere,i believe wayne taylor was working on it? I may have to go turbo and i dont know sqat about them but i have a few guys that can get me started.NOS would be easy,thats the problem i want to take my mind in a different direction.Ive been working on new model IRS GM cars for the last 6 years and been lucky enuff to help set the records for the fastest 5th gen camaro,G8 and the GTO i would like to work on something totally different.I got to help a lil on the last carbon boat darris built with a close buddy of mind and that kind of pulled me back into the boat side a minute.I love my boat and i need to make time for it.I wonder if theres enuff intrest for a turbo kit?

suicidealli

Motor is just wrong for a Super charger. It has been done, with little or no gain. There is some good read on s/f.
I agree a turbo can, and will work. A twin turbo would be good.. It has been done too.
These 2.5 are just awesome little motors. With some good parts, and some machining the will turn well over 10,000 some 11,000. A good stock drag on a 1100 lb boat + drive will turn 10,000 +. They just don't live long... Rings wear so quick, and we have great oil.
People would pay good money for a ring that is tough enough to last, 2x as long, and not tear up the nic..lol. We have a pretty good rings, just don't last.
My drag on my bass boat I prop/gear it to turn 9200 about peak hp. 10 hours of break in, rings were shot at 65 hours.. I think That is really good. All out race motor 1 season
A weekend of break in and test, 5-6 race weekends. 10-15 hours prolly tops. The bearings hold up pretty good, we have found some reeds, and cages that hold up well.
Rings are the weakest link.JMO

Anyway I'm curious about E-85 is on rings. Sounds like you can create more hp at a lot lower egt. I wonder about ring life. Cleaner, cooler, all sounds great to me for a lake motor... Anyway thinking aloud...lol

Roy
Roy

ally2dextreme

We run the denso iridiums and picked up a good bit and use them a long long time.The ngk needed replacing to often for us.

suicidealli

We run the denso iridiums and picked up a good bit and use them a long long time.The ngk needed replacing to often for us.
I think the denso iradiums are one of the best plugs out there. I want things to be rich, and safe starting out. I don't care about plugs lasting.lol After some bench marks, then I will change things.

Roy

RBT

Roy if you haven't tried the denso, try it.... Very consistent, very reliable. Worth the few extra dollars