Carbon Fiber xr

GotMyAlly

I'd also imagine that even if you have to add weight, being able to place it in the optimum location would be an advantage.

patches

There is somewhat of an advantage to placing it where you want but the carbon boats from different builders are built mainly for the Outlaw, Pro Drag, Drag King classes. The way some of the boats are built and rigged the drivers would have to add 200-300 lbs to get to Pro Gas weight and most don't like putting that much weight in their boats.

I hear estimates of the current boats being in the low 300's, I don't believe the boats are that light. High 300's is my guess. Puts total weights with driver in the 1050 range give or take

strip

Thanks for the info. I bet a 300# boat with a 300 drag would be a freakin rush to drive. Gonna put that on my "when I win the lottery list" LOl!

hack02

I've been told that the carbon STV ModVP that was built in Augusta weighed 285 pounds out of the mold. This is the one that went to I think MS and now is in Canada, again I think. I was told this by a man that was standing there when it was weighed. Still gotta be pretty light with steering and a seat in it.

ally2dextreme

There is somewhat of an advantage to placing it where you want but the carbon boats from different builders are built mainly for the Outlaw, Pro Drag, Drag King classes. The way some of the boats are built and rigged the drivers would have to add 200-300 lbs to get to Pro Gas weight and most don't like putting that much weight in their boats.

I hear estimates of the current boats being in the low 300's, I don't believe the boats are that light. High 300's is my guess. Puts total weights with driver in the 1050 range give or take
The other carbon boats are in the 420ish range,the new one will be 360ish,of coarse this is just a dream i had...

hullbilly

I've been told that the carbon STV ModVP that was built in Augusta weighed 285 pounds out of the mold. This is the one that went to I think MS and now is in Canada, again I think. I was told this by a man that was standing there when it was weighed. Still gotta be pretty light with steering and a seat in it.
With the surface area of an STV being much greater than an allison xr, one would ponder why a carbon xr wouldn't come in under the carbon STV weight of 285 lbs?

ally2dextreme

With the surface area of an STV being much greater than an allison xr, one would ponder why a carbon xr wouldn't come in under the carbon STV weight of 285 lbs?
Allison weights are not BARE BONES ,they include steering,seat etc,others weigh just boat hull

patches

From what I remember of the STV it's not as rigid as the carbon Allison

I think most XR's are weighed with the seat, steering, fairing, and jackplate if it came with one

hullbilly

So, seat, steering, fairing and jackplate = 100 lbs?

If so, this would mean the new carbon xr would be 260ish BARE BONES, which would come in extremely close to the STV BARE BONES, right? Hence my pondering the surface area differences. Seems like the STV would require more material for all the width involved.

I'm not trying to be adversarial and I appreciate the information ally2dextreme. Just trying to get a good understanding of the "light" boat world currently.

Last edited:

patches

I don't think the STV is that light. At least that's not the weight Preston told me.

Seat, steering, fairing, and a jackplate for a 12" weighs about 57 lbs

XXXR2001

the last time i talked to daris and nancy,,if i am not mistaken he is solo on carbon fiber boats now, and he has figured out how to make them 100 pounds lighter than the first ones.
He didn't just figure it out. The 2nd CF boat could have been 250lbs if he had chosen to use all composite materials. Probably just as well. I don't think a boat that light with serious horsepower will have a long lifespan.