Best EFI fuel pump? And where to get it?

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Gary can you make that picture larger? You have that assembly suspended all the way to the tank bottom? Is that the Bosch pump and if so is it rated for immersion?

I retract my earlier stupid statement about explosion hazards in the fuel tank as a consequence of pump sparking....Pinkie and Gary are right, most cars have the pumps in the tanks...just wanted to CLEAR THE AIR on this issue and admit when I'm wrong!! :oops:

Bryan, that's what I can't figure out either. I've got the water sep on my 03/280 and no problems either!! Or maybe it's just that since the 280 pump cycles on and off, I just never hear it!! :?:

OK, so here's tonight's mission. Install clear vinyl fuel hose ("sight glass" on output of fuel tank. Run pump, watch for air bubbles, listen for frying bacon (it's intermittant - doesn't do it all the time).

IF i see bubbles coming up from the fuel tank outlet, THEN i am back to suspecting the stand tube and its connections in the tank (all brand new).

IF there are NO air bubbles THEN i will remove the water separator from the path and test again.

IF there are no air bubbles, and I remove the water separator and the frying is STILL there....THEN maybe I'll put a sock on it, however unheard of and unorthodox that assembly appears. Hmm....maybe even THAT sizzles too...maybe it's just in the tank under the fuel where you CAN'T HEAR IT!! :p

One thing I have noticed with the brand new pump....the fuel pressure on the gauge does not seem to fluctuate with the frying sound, unlike the old pump where you could see it "pulse" downwards by a lb or two....

And Yeallar...I tried the motor running / stab it test and the pressure just blipped down to 30-35 for an instant....guess that part of it's OK huh :?:

One last thing, is it OK to use NON-FUEL INJECTION hose on the low pressure side (feed side) of the pump? I've got everything plumbed with the high dollar fuel injection rated hose and it's not getting any cheaper re-doing it all each time.

Plus has anyone else besides me gotten lacerated while trying to force 3/8" fuel line on the bottom fitting of that Bosch pump? It's some metric size and it's a BEEEYOTCH to get on!!! :evil:

ALLISONMAN

lou you should use fuel injection hose on the suction side also!!sometimes the vacuum created with the pump can pull a regular hose shut!!! push-loc hose is the best stuff i found to use!!!!

J

John Richied

Lou if you click on the cunning old man’s picture it will take you to his host site and the picture is much larger. By the way since you are getting up there in age do you wear a hearing aid? I was just thinking if you do, maybe that fryin’ bacon sound is coming from it and not the fuel pump… LOL :wink: It’s almost birthday time old man, good luck on your finding and fixing the problem

Bryan, all the real racers don’t run a fuel/water separator before the fuel pump, Yeller told me this. :p :p :p I hear most of them run the WIX 33482 fuel filter.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
UPDATE from Fuelish Laboratories, Inc.

1 foot of clear "site glass" vinyl hose on fuel pickup tube yields 100% visual verification of NO AIR in the supply line to the W/S filter, while frying noise is occurring.

Suspicion now points entirely to W/S filter as culprit.

Film at 11. :!:

GFinch

2fast4mom said:
Gary can you make that picture larger?
What John said.
You have that assembly suspended all the way to the tank bottom?
Sort Uhh. Where the pump is over to the side the pick up runs over to the sump. I'll show you a better pic if you want, of that, or not. I've got a mean streak in me just ask my gimp wife.
Is that the Bosch pump and if so is it rated for immersion?
Bosch yes, don't care, it's like all the other pumps that are -- the tank. Well I do care, but their so well sealed so fuel can't get out, I figure it really doesn't matter if fuel gets in.

OK sit down for this tid bit. Your car I really don't care what it is if it's newish, it's got EFI right? Most likely the fuel pump is -- the tank, even if the pump is outside the tank, ready, all your fuel goes thru the pump thru the: Nope your not ready yet.

I retract my earlier stupid statement about explosion hazards in the fuel tank as a consequence of pump sparking....Pinkie and Gary are right, most cars have the pumps in the tanks...just wanted to CLEAR THE AIR on this issue and admit when I'm wrong!! :oops:

Well may be you are : brushes and commutator. Shake a EFI fuel filter out and see the color of what comes out, it's black with carbon from the brushes. Sparky Sparky.

Bryan, that's what I can't figure out either. I've got the water sep on my 03/280 and no problems either!! Or maybe it's just that since the 280 pump cycles on and off, I just never hear it!! :?:

OK, so here's tonight's mission. Install clear vinyl fuel hose ("sight glass" on output of fuel tank. Run pump, watch for air bubbles, listen for frying bacon (it's intermittant - doesn't do it all the time).

IF i see bubbles coming up from the fuel tank outlet, THEN i am back to suspecting the stand tube and its connections in the tank (all brand new).

IF there are NO air bubbles THEN i will remove the water separator from the path and test again.

IF there are no air bubbles, and I remove the water separator and the frying is STILL there....THEN maybe I'll put a sock on it, however unheard of and unorthodox that assembly appears. Hmm....maybe even THAT sizzles too...maybe it's just in the tank under the fuel where you CAN'T HEAR IT!! :p

Unorthodox not really, I'm just a cheep AAHMF and like to tinker. Look, the complete intake to the pump it should be VERY unrestricted=large inside diameter,short as possible and no sharp angles.

One thing I have noticed with the brand new pump....the fuel pressure on the gauge does not seem to fluctuate with the frying sound, unlike the old pump where you could see it "pulse" downwards by a lb or two....

And Yeallar...I tried the motor running / stab it test and the pressure just blipped down to 30-35 for an instant....guess that part of it's OK huh :?:

See what happens when you get your problem sortted out.

One last thing, is it OK to use NON-FUEL INJECTION hose on the low pressure side (feed side) of the pump? I've got everything plumbed with the high dollar fuel injection rated hose and it's not getting any cheaper re-doing it all each time.

Plus has anyone else besides me gotten lacerated while trying to force 3/8" fuel line on the bottom fitting of that Bosch pump? It's some metric size and it's a BEEEYOTCH to get on!!! :evil:
That bottom fitting? Would that maybe be the inlet? Force? Sound's like to me it's trying to tell you something maybe.
The Boat Works paper needs the be studied, lots of suttle tid bits.
One of which was the pump inlet should be double clamped, I wonder why?
Sorry, got to go now food calling.
Really, I am trying to help.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Gary are you Scottish? Because as grumpy as you are, I imagine a visual image of "FAT BASSTURD" from the Austin Powers movies. :lol:

"GET -- IN -- MA -- BELLY!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even a dummy like me knows that gas can't explode without oxygen, hence it matters not what sparking commutators, tater tots and armatures do inside the pump where they're bathed in fuel.

What does --- with the tank mean? Is this codespeak for "level with the tank"?

That bottom fitting? Would that maybe be the inlet? Force? Sound's like to me it's trying to tell you something maybe.
Boat Works?? WHAT Boat Works paper?? I know you're trying to help. Really, I can feel it. :wink:

XXXrunninYYY

Yu have yur way with Pinky , i think not becauz that 02 will spank that arse of OMC reegect parts if you manage to get across line at all then come around again and yu will see what Pink saw witch is a ? meant to make you ask

Y

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
OK. Looks like it's nailed.

It was the water-separating fuel filter.

When the pump was shut off, with the W/S filter in place, a bubble of air seen in the clear tube made its way backwards towards the tank fitting and the system lost its "prime" or its ability to siphon. That's why when the pump was started each time, you'd hear this aggravated groaning and sizzling until most of the air was passed through the pump.

I say most because....either A) there is residual air in the W/S filter canister that NEVER gets wholly removed, and from time to time works its way into the pump and makes it sizzle, or 2) this NAPA 3225 water-separating filter element is presenting a significant obstruction to the fuel pump.

Or a combination of A and B. But you can simulate this "frying" sound if you momentarily pinch the input hose to the pump; it starts to make the sizzling, frying sound.

Now, after removing the filter from the loop, (clear vinyl tube still in place) even after an extended time the fuel still completely fills the line, and each time you restart the pump....smooth as silk, no hiccups, no sizzling, just smooth and purring.

I am now going to let it sit overnight and try it again in the morning.

PURE FUEL:

SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO JAY SMITH, MYRON, AND FINCH IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!

J

John Richied

I think the fuel/water separator was just mounted too high… I’m not saying to mount it lower and run one, but I think you could have made it work if you really wanted to.

Put the fuel/water separator on E-Bay and I’ll buy the old fuel pump for $50, as a spare.

Boyz… and I use that term loosely with you two older gentlemen, my engine is done and soon to be shipped back to me… YAHOO! It won’t be long now!

If you two want to line up XB’s and run, I’ll run the winner. If Lou’s (X Humpin’ Y’s) XR2001 comes off the trailer I might as well head to the beach. That boat IS fast and not just on the Internet!

Lou, I’m happy your problem is solved! :p :p :p

PS after the drag races lets take Gary to the Deltas finest lounge and have a few drinks… maybe even get the band to play a favorite from Judist Priest, whatcha think :wink:

GFinch

Ya Hoo. Now, how fine and how much surface aera does the pick up screen have, you need to protect that new pump.

J

John Richied

:lol: :lol: :lol: Gary, your way may be the best way, but there are other ways.

Lou is still scared of the bomb affect… KA-BOOM!!! :p LOL he hears ticking on the clock, in his dreams and all day long…. Almost birthday time and he probably doesn’t want any ticking in his tank.
To tell you the truth I would mount my fuel pump in my fuel cell if there were a kit I could buy and it was tested and proven with our boats. But a few hose clamps holding a fuel pump on doesn’t look very reassuring to me. I know it works for you but what if mine fell off in the tank and lost the fuel connection at 8,000 Rpm's? Talk about a lean condition… LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lou can I get a tow please

GFinch

2fast4mom said:
Gary are you Scottish? Because as grumpy as you are, I imagine a visual image of "FAT BASSTURD" from the Austin Powers movies. :lol:
No, I think English scum over on one of the later Mayflower voyages. Fairbanks on Mothers side. FAT BASSTURD ALE is good don't know much about Austin Powers movies.

"GET -- IN -- MA -- BELLY!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even a dummy like me knows that gas can't explode without oxygen, hence it matters not what sparking commutators, tater tots and armatures do inside the pump where they're bathed in fuel.

What does --- with the tank mean? Is this codespeak for "level with the tank"?

It's( -- ) and represents the word (in) trying to be nice.

Boat Works?? WHAT Boat Works paper?? I know you're trying to help. Really, I can feel it. :wink:
Well thats what I call it, probably not correct, but I cant spell well and use what ever I can. It was posted by yellowallison in your Straight answers needed request. My deslexia doesn't help, neither does the memory, also "The 60s were good to me". Now that I am reading it here below, I see it's diamond marine, sorry.

http://www.diamondmarine.com/web_pages/Fuel System.htm

GFinch

XXXrunninYYY said:
Yu have yur way with Pinky , i think not becauz that 02 will spank that arse of OMC reegect parts if you manage to get across line at all then come around again and yu will see what Pink saw witch is a ? meant to make you ask

Y
It does have a sports master lower, but it just resembles one now that I think of it.

GFinch

Or a combination of A and B. But you can simulate this "frying" sound if you momentarily pinch the input hose to the pump; it starts to make the sizzling, frying sound.

Key word here is pinch/restrict=cavatate create void.

GFinch

John Richied said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Gary, your way may be the best way, but there are other ways.

Not the best way just easy and cheep and what I came up with.

Lou is still scared of the bomb affect

GFinch

Whats a Judist Priest? Another thing I'm not very familar with. Heavy Meal, no thats Metal, Heavy Metal! Right?

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Can i get an AMEN?!?

All good...But Pinkie, HOW would mounting the water separating filter LOWER make it work any better?

Now you're really pi$$ing me off... "You could have made it work if you tried harder" :evil: LOL how many more weeks should I spend on it? :D

It siphoned just fine from its outlet hose. :?:

Bottom line, it probably would have worked just fine in practice..just noisy and putting extra wear on that pump. You bet I am going to pay special attention to the one in my XB next time I'm out.

Gary the stand pipe in the new tank has a 360 degree gridded fine mesh micro-screen about 2" high. I looked at it thru the fill port before the tank was mounted. Unfortunately don't have a picture.

ALLISONMAN

good deal glad you got her fixed now take that gs out and air it out and come back and tell us some numbers!!!!!!

oh yeah AMEN!!!!! didnt want to forget that