Best EFI fuel pump? And where to get it?

GFinch

Edit: I was hunting and pecking this while you were posting. Was the return clear of bubbles?

I'll race a canoe. Be careful young grasshopper, cunning old men sometimes win over exuberant youth.
Now to the task at hand, Lou's delma.
How about a sound recording, normal and bacon. Humor me.
Is there some part you transfered over to the new pump, possably restricting inlet flow? A cavating pump makes wierd sounds.
Ok. Now prove me wrong, I don't care I've been wrong before and will be again.
Try this. Suspend the fuel pump in a container of fuel, with the inlet completly unrestricted.
A word of caution securly fasten the wires to the pump, no loose sparky connections. Also the pump body will try to spin on start up. Tie wrap the dam thing to a stick.
I don't care if the pump is upright, lying on her side, front, back or buns up and kneeling. We just want unrestricted access. Never mind.
Just eleminate this possability, then continue on the Quest.

J

John Richied

Lou you are having way too much fun with that GrandSport.

I would remove the fuel/water separator since it’s mounted between the fuel pump and fuel cell and give that a try. It has to be the biggest restriction to the pump inlet you have.

Also I would not add anymore fuel to the fuel cell just yet. If there is a crack in your fuel pickup line and the fuel gets higher then that point it will stop drawing air (the bacon fryin’ sound will go away) until you get the fuel cell down to that point again, probably out running the boat on the water.

I’m sure Gary’s idea of immersing the fuel pump in fuel would work, but if that makes the sound go away you will never know… being the fuel pump is sitting in fuel it will deaden the sound.

I’m not against putting the fuel pump in the fuel cell either, every fuel injected car out there has it mounted that way. However I believe the fuel pump can be mounted outside the fuel cell and work properly.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
This is gonna get nailed if it's the last thing I ever do.

Here is what I will try, probably in order because of easiness / laziness:

1) Put the clear section of tubing at the tank outlet to see if air is getting into the feed line.

2) If it is, report and go from there.

All the other things you gentlemen have suggested WILL be tried also, if the cause is not located as above.

As I lay awke this morning thinking about this, I imagined a reverse situation of when water goes down a drain and makes that vortex-tornado looking thing and sucks air. Do you suppose the pump is sucking enough fuel to do this, creating a "tornado" in the tank and pulling in air from the surface?

John you are right, I will leave the level at 15 gallons where it is now and where it always has been. Exactly 1/2 tank.

Gary, I don't know for sure if air was in the return or not. If it was, it was only an aerated stream (no "voids" in the flow or spitting of fuel).

GFinch

[

As I lay awke this morning thinking about this, I imagined a reverse situation of when water goes down a drain and makes that vortex-tornado looking thing and sucks air.

Is the rotation clock or counter clock wise. If you are in the nothern hemisphere and the rotation is counter clockwise your going to need a reverse rotation fuel pump............. :lol:
Sorry couldn't resist

Do you suppose the pump is sucking enough fuel to do this, creating a "tornado" in the tank and pulling in air from the surface?

NO! not with 15 gallons of fuel, any way it would take a long time to start that much fuel into movement. But it could after a restriction.

J

John Richied

Re: Uhh!

GFinch said:
Uhh,
I missed this tidbit before, please tell me it isn't before the pump!
Oh it seems “young grasshopper” was paying attention while the cunning old man was dipping his fuel pump where it doesn’t belong… LMFAO :p :p :p

GH 1
COM 0
next the drag race baby! :wink:

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
ROFL,

YES the water-separating filter IS before the fuel pump, as per the instructions from Mercury Marine.

Now, ol' Jay Smith and Myron and several others have said, ditch the W/S filter, it makes an obstruction to the suction (hate when that happens) of the pump. Perhaps Gary will offer his opinion on this as well.

Now think about this for a second...what if the pump was capable of emptying the water-sep filter faster than it could be refilled through its paper element? Then you would have NOT air, but bits of "vacuum"--spaces in the line with NO fuel--trying to be managed by the pump.

Has the heat gotten to me yet?

J

John Richied

Lou I believe then it would just starve the pump??

I seriously would remove the fuel/water separator and see if your problem goes away.

I feel for you working in the heat… It’s 108-111 here and we only have like 15% relative humidity…

Every time I think I am going to go outside and do something after about 30 seconds on the front porch I head right back in the house. :p

Oh yeah… Let’s Drag Baby! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: FOR A COLD COORS LIGHT!

GFinch

as per the instructions from Mercury Marine.

Merc Marine isn't here trying to help you, I still am though.

Now, ol' Jay Smith and Myron and several others have said, ditch the W/S filter, it makes an obstruction to the suction (hate when that happens) of the pump. Perhaps Gary will offer his opinion on this as well.

What is that saying now? Something about horse/donkey sex and every one having one. Must be sometimers kicking in again.

Now think about this for a second...what if the pump was capable of emptying the water-sep filter faster than it could be refilled through its paper element? Then you would have NOT air, but bits of "vacuum"--spaces in the line with NO fuel--trying to be managed by the pump.

Yep, Guess I'll go back to my vacuum.

Has the heat gotten to me yet?[/quote]

J

John Richied

Gary there is no code and obviously you are here to help.

What this met was…

GH 1 = Grasshopper 1
COM 0 = Cunning Old Man 0

Remember you gave you and I the names… and I was being funny keeping score. :wink:

When we line up for the drag race I will still be having fun even if the C.O.M. whoops the G.H arse…. :wink: I think not :p
Most of the time the teacher teaches the student, other time the teacher learns from the student.

GFinch

John, not cunning just old/tired.

I hear the vacuum calling, thats odd I was told sound didn't travel thru a vacuum.

Could be wrong again, but I'll leave with this................

"There is no gravity, the earth sucks!"

J

John Richied

Either way old or tired, grouchy, frickin’ fast with experience, whatever… I know I can still learn from the teacher… so much to learn and so little time. :wink:

You fit so well in with our bunch it’s like it were met to be… I don’t know if you know the Flyin’ Butcher (Bill Mason), but someone has to take his spot, might as well be you at our rally... :p

I’m sure you are an upgrade from that guy even if I do dearly miss him, he pretty much retired and moved off down south to run other slower boats so he can compete. :p :p :p

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Is the rotation clock or counter clock wise. If you are in the nothern hemisphere and the rotation is counter clockwise your going to need a reverse rotation fuel pump.............
I was flying to Australia in May of 1987 in a Qantas 747. I checked the restroom drain rotation whilst still in the northern hemisphere....then after the pilot announced we had crossed the equator, checked it again.

It went the opposite way.

Tell me more about horse/donkey sex.

GFinch

It went the opposite way.

Was that the rotation or the that the leu(sp) was flooded?

Tell me more about horse/donkey sex.[/quote]

Their get(noun) and opinions.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
FOR THE HARD OF HEARING or for those with A.D.D. that might be trying to help, here is a contrast-enhanced shot of the famed "SIZZLING FUEL SYSTEM" all neat and tidy before I start ripping it to shreds...again
THANKS

Note the CLEAN SWEEP of the feed hose providing a siphon feed to the bottom of the pump:

ALLISONMAN

funny thing about the water/separator is that i have one on my boat no problems - and I know that glenn has one on the drag boat and again no problems there but to all that said ditch the filter before the pump - What happens when a piece of debris gets into the inlet side of the pump??? been there done that with a supercharged 5.0l mustang!!!!