Anatomy of the lip, xb-2003

K.Kiser

I'm not one to rush into things. :)
No, I didn't figure that You would I'm just bored and being goofy... OK, I've given You the most guarded secrets about making an XB03 go 150+ mph, so in return I need You to fax Me all the details to building a 3.3 and most of the parts to do it... That's reasonable, right..?

SLOmofo

Sounds most reasonable. It goes like that Johnny Cash song, working in a car manufacturing plant and stealing a piece at a time over many years.
Actually the 3.3 is made of mostly used junk from Dave's old engines. Sleeves were pulled out of one block, pistons out of another. Even half the reeds were used. It has OMC, Merc, Yamaha and car motor parts in it. I have lots of pic's but not many I can show.

Attachments

whipper

All this talk about lips & pads I went and redid mine this morning.:big grin I redid my gearcase last night. I took pics before just letting the addtech cure a bit before I take the file and sand paper to it for afters.:shock: Square off the edges and sand a little done by after super.

Last edited:

SLOmofo

Don't show any, There has been alot of someones personal $$ and time spent to figure that stuff out and it's only fair to keep it under wraps...
So very true! Dave has been living and breathing engines, mostly 2 strokes since he was a teenager. I'm proud to say he blames me for being a "Motor Head".

whipper

Ahh come on share the love guys. Hears the pad with no more dings in it.:big grin I was building the lip back then said naaa.:big grin Oh ya and the gearcase yesterday.

chad202

Whipper, it may be the angle but did you take off some wing/turn down on both sides? It kinda looks like.

whipper

If theres anyone else with stern shots of XS and XB03,s can ya post them hear also. Paticularly stock pad/lip stern shots. Would love to see any variations with model years.
There hard to find on hear in the search. James

silverbullet02

Super Moderator
Staff member
If theres anyone else with stern shots of XS and XB03,s can ya post them hear also. Paticularly stock pad/lip stern shots. Would love to see any variations with model years.
There hard to find on hear in the search. James
I'll get some shots for you next week. Got truck and camper loaded up in the driveway and boat loaded up in the garage, headed out in the morning to the western s&f rally for the weekend http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=9562 . (I'll start another thread with pics about that when I get back, looks like there's gonna be 3 Allisons... Nick (ocktane), myself, and the banned one.) Weather looks good, should be a great time! I'll also have to get some measurements on my lip to see what it is when I get back. Anybody have any tips for the best way to measure the lip? Never done it before. How far forward does it go? Thanks!

Brian :big grin

Last edited:

whipper

Thanks Brian have a great time!! This thread of Jays bottom is the best one Ive seen for quality of pics and understanding how the mesurments go from one side to center. Its off his SS but at least you get an idea. To get the mesurmants you run a straight edge and mesure the gap. Best search is found under Pad Sanding. Later James http://forum.allisonowners.com/showthread.php?t=8607&highlight=sanding You can sure see the lip great in these shots!!

BASS BUM

hey guy's
concerning spin out's, i have yet to experience one. since i have re powered it is more likely now that it may happen. what is the best way to handle it, besides just hanging on for your life.
thanks mark

allison8503

Bass bum I have done it more times than I can count. The first time it happens it feels like everything was going fine and then all of a sudden there it goes. The only thing to do is hold on because driving threw a blow out is like driving one to start with. If you get behind it, it takes the perfect moves to catch it. Once it happens a few times and you get a great feel for what the boat is doing and what is causing it to act that way, the boat will let you know what it is about to do. A blow out because the motor is to high for any given prop is a different feeling than a blow out because the gear case is wrong. you can also have a spot on set up and prop and the water conditions can cause it.

whipper

yep it just happens. Ive had a fast one and the rest have been slow but forcful. You can generaly hang on . The most vilont one was the first I hooked to the left. The ones to the right dont seem as bad. The bow digs in and your stern is air born so thers not a lot of control until your stern gets back in the water. Sorta like a pivot from the bow end at speed. Pasangers get the brunt and can end up on your lap thats bad. Thats why you shouldnt string her out with anyone else in the boat. Keep the speed to 90% of max and youll be OK. As mentioned though theres lots of reasons for blow out. Airbubble off a less than perfict gearcase lets go, Waves, To much trim,overcorection, blade slinging or cracking, Letting off to fast, itchy eye ball of a Golden Retriver, ect..:big grin

BASS BUM

Thanks Guy's,
when i bought my boat 10 years ago, the dealer told me i needed to get tossed out a couple of times just so i would know what to expect. i thought ya right.

catfish123

A change of underwear stored in your boat just in case you need it is always a good idea. Better to be totally prepared than to wish you had it and don't.

Iowafshr

Sounds like it might be a common thing when you push them hard, which I'm sure ill do. Has anyone on here ever been tossed out? What is the likelyhood of the boat rolling? does anyone have a video of a boat blowing out?