Anatomy of the lip, xb-2003

catfish123

Hi Chad.......things are going pretty well, how are things with you?

Bob

chad202

Going good. We have a rally next month so i'll be stripping down the boat to only one battery for some running. Gonna have my big wheel and also a 24 4-blade ET(i haven't run yet) for some playing. Gonna get out there with the XB2002s for some running.

bringit

both of my boats the lip was all over the place,as in height.from 0.057-0.083.checked with dial indicators.i have tested for a FACT!!!!!!!! THAT EVENING UP THE LIP makes tremendous increases!i can raise my engine as high as u want go as fast as u want and shut it down at wot and i never spin.i could put my wife in it and she cant spin it out!also 3 mph gain.2 boats done same way.before my 2003 would spin out if u even moved.and yes there are gonna be guys that tell ya

bringit

both of my boats the lip was all over the place,as in height.from 0.057-0.083.checked with dial indicators.i have tested for a FACT!!!!!!!! THAT EVENING UP THE LIP makes tremendous increases!i can raise my engine as high as u want go as fast as u want and shut it down at wot and i never spin.i could put my wife in it and she cant spin it out!also 3 mph gain.2 boats done same way.before my 2003 would spin out if u even moved.and yes there are gonna be guys that tell ya ITS NOT TO BE TOUCHED BULL@&$%. please nobody take this as me stepping on anyones toes.i have done this on 2 diff boats,they drive completely safer.by the way i didnt just chop them off there was alot of testing involved,and notes.

whipper

Totally agree with uneavenness. The only reason mines pretty much offish is because when I tried to build it back after a bottom bounce on the shore at the ramp from some dim wit making waves when I was fetching my trailer, I had trouble getting it right. It was way easier to even it down then up. I like it iether way personaly. I do find with a load my speeds are down compared to when I had the lip though. Maybe 2 mph with 4 persons. Its been so long since I did it would be nice to have a blueprinted bottom factory spec to see what the differance would be today.

I was talking to Darris about this a few weeks ago and he says to get it down there for a tune up. In a few more words.:big grin Something about the candeliever effect and the opposite reaction from forces with the lip countering the engines natural downward thrust? Or somthing like that.:big grin

Last edited:

K.Kiser

The fastest bassboat on record has a factory lip if I remember correctly ... The XB03's do have quite large lip, but this is designed to carry a load with small HP engines and not necessarily for the 90+ mph set-up's... If I had an XB03 or similar hull intended to run big #'s I'd probably take some size from the lip also, but I would leave the outward taper...

bringit

i agree,both boats that i got all the previuos owners spun them out more than once.small hp big lip is correct!

SLOmofo

Lip or not they will hook. I did one at about 90 yesterday. Wake boards and tubers :shock:.
After that I wooped on an Eliminator Mod V with a 250 ProMax or something. Then he asked me if I had a Hyd jack plate, saying that would help me if we went from a roll start. I said I didn't, he said he could beat me from a roll. "I don't think so". Told him to have his friend drop his arm when he was ready. After I slowed down, they caught up and they both waved.:big grin

bringit

i am dead nuts serious, if it is done right it will not be unsafe/hook.i will take any kind of chop,now if u catch a wake a certain way yes any boat is possible to do that.ha ha ha they cant stand it,i am glad for ya.when they asked if u had a hyd plate u should have said

K.Kiser

Lip or not they will hook. I did one at about 90 yesterday. Wake boards and tubers :shock:.
After that I wooped on an Eliminator Mod V with a 250 ProMax or something. Then he asked me if I had a Hyd jack plate, saying that would help me if we went from a roll start. I said I didn't, he said he could beat me from a roll. "I don't think so". Told him to have his friend drop his arm when he was ready. After I slowed down, they caught up and they both waved.:big grin
Uhhhhhh, outrun the 3.3 fridge ( my dream mota ) from a roll..? Well, at least He's a wiser man today...

whipper

Theres a familier story. When guys are looking for fast boats they must skip the first letter in the alphabit. How fast does your boat go dude. I say how fast is yours they say around 80 I say 81.:LMAO: Then when im along side of them at 65 and thats all they got I punch it and say B-By.:beer:

SLOmofo

Theres a familier story. When guys are looking for fast boats they must skip the first letter in the alphabit. How fast does your boat go dude. I say how fast is yours they say around 80 I say 81.:LMAO: Then when im along side of them at 65 and thats all they got I punch it and say B-By.:beer:
I was doing somewhat the same thing, just running parallel to them and giving it a little squeeze now and then. Don't think he knew it at first. :twisted evil

Back to the original reason for this post.

I'm thinking this winter of putting a little of the lip back on and seeing what happens.

Comments!

bigtis

Back to the original reason for this post.

I'm thinking this winter of putting a little of the lip back on and seeing what happens.

Comments!
I'd like to see the boat run with the lip on it agian. especially with all that weight on the transom.

That's my 02 cents.:beer:

bringit

thats right u gotta have it to loose or spend it,i dont.not getting off sub,but has bp popped another cap or is it some body elses?

SLOmofo

I need to have someone run beside me and take a pic of the angle of attack. I want to know if there is any water being pushed at the point where the hull is touching. I think that would tell me if the hull is lifting or the hull is pushing through the water.

I'll tell you one thing, those tunnels hulls cheat. Nothing in the water but the lower unit. At least it looked that way to me. I wish I got some pic's of that boat flying!

I might have a 26" Cleaver to try finally, should arrive tomorrow.

K.Kiser

I need to have someone run beside me and take a pic of the angle of attack. I want to know if there is any water being pushed at the point where the hull is touching. I think that would tell me if the hull is lifting or the hull is pushing through the water.

I'll tell you one thing, those tunnels hulls cheat. Nothing in the water but the lower unit. At least it looked that way to me. I wish I got some pic's of that boat flying!

I might have a 26" Cleaver to try finally, should arrive tomorrow.
Your gonna get at least some small amount of pushed from the pad at the front of the wetted surface, so don't get too discouraged... If You can perch that thing up there @ about 6 degrees of attack with 2' of wetted surface then that would be oh so nice... Oh, You might wanna try the cleaver BEFORE putting the lip back on - lol...