2002 bass and walleye article - hydromotive

catfish123

Todd.........just asking, because you and your dad are two people I highly respect and I know you tell it like it is..........Here's the question......LOL.........Isn't it also true that many times the highest top speed achieved by a boat is done so by using a HIGH pitched prop and stringing it out for miles?...........And isn't it also true that when running the HIGH pitched prop, the slip numbers generally go up, but along with that is an increase in speed. The best number my XB2003 ever ran was with a worked 30 pitch Chopper II that went 97.1mph at 7140....that's about 10.5% slip. I never could produce that speed with any other prop I ever tried although in the lower pitches, slip numbers were less and I had room to go before the limiter was hit but couldn't get it there. Pretty sure you had told me that normally the higher pitch you go to, the more slip you get? That has always proven to be the case on my boat. "The faster you run means more slip" , like Matt said, can be taken several ways. In most cases I would agree with that "the faster you go means less slip because of less wetted surface", but I don't think it means the fastest a boat has ever run means the slip numbers were real low. In fact they could be higher than they were with a different prop of lesser pitch. Can you tell it's winter here?...............LOL..................Thanks.

Last edited:

JOEALLY

I was in no way throwing off on hydromotive props, I've never owned one. I was more interested in what kind of "load" was in the rig.

I'm on my 3rd xb2002/200xs setup and don't claim to be anything but a fisherman that likes Allisons - not a "set up man", but I just struggled to understand those speeds after running mine. That's all.

2003225X

That is what I was told as well... Higher pitchprop= higher slip numbers.

TBuck2003

Bob,
There is no question a lower pitch prop is more efficient than a higher pitched prop, in terms of slip. What we are talking about is that in that test a 30p prop ran to the limiter at roughly 6-7% slip. When they tried to put a 32p wheel on, the slip went up and lost bite and hooked. Point being with that 200xs the 30p was the max pitch to run. As that prop turned to the limiter the slip got better as the boat went faster. The 32p had a speed of 93 something that was on gps when it hooked. In this case it was not faster and had a higher slip %. In some top end scenarios if your set up can pull a given (High pitch) prop to or near the limiter you may obtain a personal best with higher slip because of the pitch. That usually is a BEST EVER number that is not often duplicated. Can it happen...Yes!!!! Allison hulls are a big reason why. Under most normal circumstances the faster you go the slip gets better. Run your numbers at cruise vs. wide open to get an example. Great point brought up Bob !!!!

TBuck

TBuck2003

I was in no way throwing off on hydromotive props, I've never owned one. I was more interested in what kind of "load" was in the rig.

I'm on my 3rd xb2002/200xs setup and don't claim to be anything but a fisherman that likes Allisons - not a "set up man", but I just struggled to understand those speeds after running mine. That's all.
JOEALLY,

In no way did I think that. Was just telling how it went down with the set up particulars. Best of luck...

TBuck

GotMyAlly

Those tests were done with a stripped down boat. I'd expect that to be at least a couple mph faster than a boat loaded for a day on the lake.

When I was cleaning out my wrecked boat, you wouldn't believe the amount of stuff I pulled out of it. And I don't mean fishing tackle. Just stuff you take to the lake on a regular basis. I bet I hauled 4 boxes of crap in the house by the time i was done emptying out all the storage boxes, glove boxes, etc. All that weight adds up.

Last edited:

catfish123

I have a theory on the 101.8 mph XB2003 with 225 Promax. The driver was thrown from the boat and he had a handheld GPS. It went out with him and as he was ejected, his (body) speed increased to 101.8 mph as he passed the boat which was running 97-98mph. GPS speeds don't lie as he did achieve a speed of 101.8........LMAO

David Lanham

Guess I should have posted that most of my info was obtained from a barstool listening (and not absorbing most of it) to Mr. Thom himself. Also got some scoup from Jeff Whitfield as he assisted with engine rigging. Jeff and Bill both said they spun the same X motor past 7K, I'm just the messenger.

My personal 225X 98.6 best was with a 30 ET but with a 1.75:1 case. Took lots of setup to get it there. All the 32's if tried with the 1.87:1 drove like crap; just too much pitch for the combo.

My Buddy that has this rig has not used the last two years. Has less than 100 hours on it. There's a change he might be selling it this year.

The big take away as that Bill obtained these speeds with an engine height right on the spin out edge. A place none one needs to be.

Last edited:

catfish123

And......how fast did the XB2003 go with the 225X during the latter testing? I don't think that has been posted yet?........we all need something else here to argue about. The 101.8 was DEFINITELY not a 225X.

catfish123

Whipper.......I always shot for the highest top speed when looking for top end, the slip number was never a priority. It was what it was. If I got rid of props that wouldn't run at 7%, my 30 Chopper II would never had the chance to be the fastest prop on my boat as it was at 10.5%.

GotMyAlly

Whipper.......I always shot for the highest top speed when looking for top end, the slip number was never a priority. It was what it was. If I got rid of props that wouldn't run at 7%, my 30 Chopper II would never had the chance to be the fastest prop on my boat as it was at 10.5%.
Have you tried taking your back seat out? I never tested that, but have heard it was good for a mph.

I know the windshield on my 21 definitely scrubs off a little more than 1 mph. Verified it on GPS on back to back runs on the same day.

TBuck2003

Guess I should have posted that most of my info was obtained from a barstool listening (and not absorbing most of it) to Mr. Thom himself. Also got some scoup from Jeff Whitfield as he assisted with engine rigging. Jeff and Bill both said they spun the same X motor past 7K, I'm just the messenger.

My personal 225X 98.6 best was with a 30 ET but with a 1.75:1 case. Took lots of setup to get it there. All the 32's if tried with the 1.87:1 drove like crap; just too much pitch for the combo.

My Buddy that has this rig has not used the last two years. Has less than 100 hours on it. There's a change he might be selling it this year.

The big take away as that Bill obtained these speeds with an engine height right on the spin out edge. A place none one needs to be.
Dave you need to take better notes!!!!! Amazing the all the stuff that is passed on through the bottom of a glass...lol

suicidealli

Wow!!!!! A very good read!! Impressive numbers... There are so many little tricks that CAN get you a few mph. They all add up. I'm sure jaco had the boat set up awesome. I wonder what gears were in it. That changes everything!!!!! For top end I have found 1.75 gears is the best!!!!!!!!! I also wonder what lower unit was on it... It is all a piece of the pie!!!!!!! Xr6 cases are the fastest, but don't last!!!!! Also can have 1.82 gears...

If they ran those numbers with a stock sporty, they left a lot on the table. That would be hard to imagine. John tiger is a good guy. I think he also went in the 130's in a xr 2001 way back in the day. A mod vp, or a river racer... Not a drag...
Thanks for the read, winter is boring...

Roy

catfish123

Back seat has been out on my high speed runs. All weight out of the boat without removing OH-CHIT handles, compartment lids, etc.

catfish123

I had heard the 101.8 was with a Steckbauer case? Don't know though like most of the stuff I post........LOL

The Cashew Kid

I'll take one of them new Basscats or them special Triton's and blister all ya'lls asses!:big grin. I'm talkin about them special layup Tritons with that AME4000 resin built specially for the pro's on TV.:gasp:big grin Oh yeah, I'll have extra cup added to my prop too!:wink

catfish123

I guess my biggest issue with a lot of this is, I don't believe ALL the facts of these runs are shared in the articles. If it was done fine, but let's tell the whole story, not just part of it...........just like the 225X spinning above 7000. I had one and it wouldn't get there stock.