2002 bass and walleye article - hydromotive

JOEALLY

http://www.hydromotive.com/article1.html

I re-read this article about the hydromotive prop test on the xb2003/200xs done by bass and walleye.

Does anyone know what type of "weight" was in the boat? Totally stripped with 1 battery?

The results are ....."impressive" to say the least.

I couldn't find the link to the actual article in bass and walleye.

racerx

Those speeds are faster then big Johns xb 2002 with his 250 e-tec,he got 90mph at his best with a big prop,now i know why John is putting a 280 on....

catfish123

Some will certainly disagree but B and W speeds were generally 5+ mph higher than anyone else ever achieved regardless of setup abilities, etc. The 101.8 mph XB2003 with 225 Promax is another "impressive" result they had at one time. Good luck on your quest to duplicate those numbers and stay safe in your attempts.

2003225X

I would have to 100% ring out my 225X to see those numbers. I know the 200xs motors are strong but...

It also says they were running a 30 pitch TX4. The limiter on both of the motors is 6850. You might be able to get 6900 out of one, I am not going to argue that.

Based on the prop pitch, rpm, and speed it comes out to 7% slip. (6850*30*.5347*.0009469*.93)

There are two things I find hard to believe...

A 200xs would turn a 30 4 blade to the limiter on an Xb 2003 is the first, and the second is when running that much pitch and speed you would only be at 7% slip. The faster you run, the more slip.

The best I ever saw a 200 promax on an XB2003 run was 88.7. I know the 200xs is a strong motor but not sure if it is 8mph faster.

I would like to see results from them with a 280 on an XB2003.

catfish123

115mph................The whole subject is not worth debating Matthew........I still agree with you. Just ask anyone if they ever achieved the results that B&W did with the test on either the 200XS or the 225 Promax. Many have probably been thrown out of boats trying though...........LOL.........When I mentioned to Lee Sanderson about the XB2003 with the 225 Promax that ran 101.8 mph, he just smiled. That was 12 years ago and I've since had the pleasure of getting to know him well enough to know why. He was, and is, too much of a gentleman to say what he really thought about it.

Last edited:

Lotus 50

Actually the BWB driver did get thrown out of that boat. It was part of one of the articles. No load, a lot of set up time, I believe it. I believed it enough to buy a T4X but my little 150 couldn't turn it enough rpms. Nice handling prop though. I thought that article would sell a lot of them.

catfish123

I thought the 101.8 mph was with a 225 Promax, not a 225X. Maybe you are referring to a different article. The article I'm talking about was done about an XB2003 before the 225X motor was produced.

GotMyAlly

The X and newer motors won't turn past the rev limiters like the older motors sometimes would, in my experience. My 225X wouldn't turn 1 rpm past 6850.

Get your buddy to put that motor on a ddt. If it turned 7k+ with that box, I think it would show up in the history. I don't think Simon or anybody else was reprogramming those boxes back when that test was done, not to say that Merc may not have had a ringer box though.......

If 6850 rev-limited, I think it would take more than 31" of pitch. I could put a 31" T3X on the limiter with my 225X/03. I had a 32" knob cut that I never got to really string out before I went to a 21' boat, but I'm sure it would have pulled to the limiter too.

catfish123

Hi Neal.....and what speeds did you achieve with that 31 into the limiter? Wasn't it around 96mph?.........I have to ask cause my memory isn't what it used to be.

catfish123

The March 1998 edition of B&WB magazine is when the article appeared about the 101.8 mph AVERAGE in an XB2003 with 225 Promax.....way before the 225X was available. Many things that allegedly were included to record that number were not published in the article.

whipper

Todd made some real special 30 T4-X props. He had his last one of these from his own stock that he used on his GS with a 225 to get some were in the high 90,s. Cyroed,labbed etc etc.. that he sold last year or the year before? I don't doubt these numbers. There are drivers then there are drivers.:big grin Just look at the guys with the records and then compare to others top speeds. Night and day. A light guy, light load and on the edge for hight sure. 6-7% slip is normal for a well setup Allison with good prop. If I dont get 7% slip I sell the prop with my wieght. Ill try and try differant things to get it. In the end thats the number I always shoot for or less.

2003225X

If there is someone out there with the following...

XB2003
225 Promax or 225X (STOCK 6850 limiter)
30 pitch prop of choice

and the boat runs even 100mph PLEASE step forward.

Limitations are limitations. (RPM, Slip %, etc.)

I do not care for one second how good of a driver you are... you cannot get more rpms magically out of a motor, and you can not get several % less slip out of the same setup.

With a STOCK limiter on my motor a 30 pitch would be 95-96mph at VERY most. If there is someone that can show me another 5-6 mph out of it without changing anything with the motor, boat, or prop pitch wise let me know.

And I do run the boat very light... no trolling motor and nothing whatsoever in the boat for fishing.

GotMyAlly

Hi Neal.....and what speeds did you achieve with that 31 into the limiter? Wasn't it around 96mph?.........I have to ask cause my memory isn't what it used to be.
Yeah, right at 96. I did pull the trolling motor off the nose, but I still had 3 batteries in the boat, an amp, and a speaker box under the dash.....plus the usual stuff for a day on the lake (bench seat in, cooler full of drinks, a few tools, etc.). And I never ran the gas tank way down to make those passes. I don't think taking any more weight out of the boat would have shown any significant increase, since I was on the limiter already. You'd need more pitch also.

TBuck2003

Wow after all this time there is still conspiracy theories regarding this test. Let me say this, with the talk that is surrounding this thread I am a little confused as to why nobody has asked the people that were there (ME) I have nothing to hide, other than I had a chance to run my new prop in a test. How many people would of not jumped at the opportunity to do so? Let me clear a couple things up for you

The only way I even got the chance to do this was because of John Tiger. John and I use to race together for a number of years (Allisons) so when he found out I was getting into outboard props, he gave me a chance to compete in the test. So Dad and I go down there to Clifton to do this and a nose cone test LWP. I had only one prop in that pitch at the time and it was my own personal prop off my GSE. The testing started by finishing up the break in on the 200xs before any speed runs were done. The boat motor package was supplied from Jacos Marine.

To be honest I felt like a outsider, like the last kid to be picked on a team at recess... After some initial runs, the best speed was attained by Merc. Racing with a Lightning ET 3 Blade, I believe that was 30p. The boat ran 95 approx. They were ready to wrap up test, when John said hold on we have to try the Hydromotive wheel. This is when I met Bill McClain the driver, and told him some differences in the prop, in regards to how much trim etc... I had learned this from playing with all sorts of props on my GSE. The fastest prop on my boat as far as 3 blades go was the ET. My goal was to develop a 4 blade to run with or out run that prop.

The first run Bill comes screaming by and the boat looked GOOD !!! On the return pass he came by the ramp at WOT and took his hand off the wheel and starting waving at us. (He liked it) After coming in with good numbers we advised Bill to come up on motor height, and go again. The first run was about the same as ET. We were met with adversity when Bill came out of the water, and told me how much he liked the prop. Lets just put it this way, Mercury Racing and Jacos were not HAPPY, since Jacos at the time was Mercs biggest hi po dealer. At this point I had nothing to lose and asked Bill to go out again and he did, much to the dismay of some people there. I did not care since the test was to see how fast that boat could go. Like it was not good enough that they had their motor and hand picked dealer to do the test. Bill Blistered both way runs and came in with the 96 and change, which turned out to be 1.5 MPH faster than the ET. I think the only person besides us that was happy was John Tiger !!! I have to say Bill the driver was one hell of a driver to work with and gave me a fair shot.

Now as far as the boat/motor go. I had nothing to do with that end of it. I can't speak for either of them other that I was told it was a production Motor from Mercury and a production 2003. I know the boat was set up light with 1 battery, and nothing else in it. That is how most of these top speed articles are run (Not real world) The weather was perfect 55* or so and light wind with no humidity. I had the chance to drive the boat with Dad and we rang out 94 with both of us in the boat. That motor to me was as strong or stronger than a Pro Max.

After a while we were told we were moving on to next test, but NOT so. A mysterious 32p Chopper showed up that you could of shaved with, and we were told they were heading back out to eclipse the 96 and change run. After the boat went by I looked at my Dad and John and said "This is going to end bad") the tail never laid down and the bow did not want to stay up. Nearing the end of the first run, the boat hooked and threw Bill out. Thank god he was ok besides a HUGE bruise on his hip from the shifter.

I really did not care about the particulars of the boat/ motor, all I cared about is that my prop outran the Merc ET. I had nothing to do with anybody there besides the invite from John Tiger. I have to say though I am thankful for the trip on a bunch of levels, but the best one was the new people I met, mainly Jeff and Leigh Whitfield. We have been friends since. Also had the pleasure of meeting Barbara Jaco who is a sweetheart.

To answer some performance numbers I can say this. That prop on my boat(GSE) ran 93.0 MPH with a 220Laser, SVS, Hydro LWP gearcase. So do I think it is possible to run 96.?? with a light weight 2003 with no windshield, stripped with a 150lb driver...YES And to Matt, to comment on your post, a boat gets BETTER slip numbers the faster it goes because it has less wetted surface, and less gearcase drag, providing you have a prop to hook it up. I run 7% all day long. Your Dad last year ran4-5% in the low to mid 90's Also I have a few customers that have hit 90 in a 2003/200XS combo set up for NORMAL use. I hope this helps answer questions and crazy theories...lol

I was not there the next day (Had to leave) when the 225x was run, so I cannot offer anything there, other than I do think it is possible. Remember this is not real world set ups !!!!

TBuck

racerx

Nice story there Tbuck,your prop ran excellent.....Hope all is good