XR-2001 changes

ziemer

2fast4mom said:
...what are the best things I can do, in technique and/or rigging, to come out of the hole without bow rise or flopping around?
24V Trim and one of these (trim timer)... :beer:

Casey G

trim timers are nice and can definitely be a plus if you plan on drag racing, but they will not help improperly set-up boat. all they'll do is make it bow rise and flop around more consistently. I have one in my boat, but rarely use it anymore. Since we have had so many starting radar issues this year I find it works better for me to just thumb since I don't know exactly how fast we'll be coming in at. I do use a limiter on my 24v.

ziemer

...they will not help an improperly set-up boat.

This is true. :wink

Casey G said:
I do use a limiter on my 24v.
Is that the cable & micro switch kinda deal? How easily are these adjusted? Or do you set it pretty close for any condition and use 12V on the wheel for any additional up trim needed?

I'm just thinking of my timer, and depending on the wind direction or water conditions I can put a tenth in or out to help compensate.

Casey G

Is that the cable & micro switch kinda deal? How easily are these adjusted? Or do you set it pretty close for any condition and use 12V on the wheel for any additional up trim needed?
Yes that's it. They are very easy to adjust, all you do is loosen a set screw (little black knob in the picture) and slide it back and forth depending on how much trim you need. I set mine on the edge of what i can hang on to for the first 300-400' and then i use my 12v if i need more on down the track.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Yeah you mean like this! (This is not mine; I took the pic at Jasper!!)

Casey it looks like you really got it goin on, thanks so much for your offer of help.

I agree a timer or other system is no help if the setup isn't right, it will just help you be out-of-shape more consistently! :laughing

So here are the answers to your questions on setup:

6.25" setback. Titus 200 mod case. 12V trim. And you hit the nail on the head, there is no long "trim bolt" but the guy who set the boat up before has two bolts, one each in the first holes of the trim limit because he couldn't get the long bolt in there owing to the rear wings of the boat and the tight clearance. So the motor is limited downwards at the first hole (closest to the transom) by these bolts, to save the lower unit from hitting the hyd ram cylinder I am guessing.

Let's see..what else can I tell you, OK the thing was set up at 1.25" ABOVE the pad, I dropped it recently to even with the pad.

PS, WHERE can I get a carbon-fiber-looking dash overlay, to re-do my gauge setup? The dash has holes where they don't need to be!!

Last edited:

Larry D

Us old folks love our trim timers. Van honeycut sold Ronnie the boat i drive four years ago. It had a dedenbear unit in it. He told us that we shouldn't have to fool with it and it has been set with the same delay .38 and 1.46 run time and i trim it like i want on 12v after. I have run superstock,prostock and modproduction and never had to change a thing. But when you get a little older it's hard to feel things the way you use too. later Larry D

GFinch

Casey G, I have a Burden unit like yours also. Do you use a switch on the throttle initially(24v) then (12v) steering wheel switch, or?

Casey G

Lou once you fix those two problems you will have a different boat!

you need to notch the gearcase so it does not hit the long ram or swap to a short ram if your running a 15". the trim ram needs to be able to trim all the way in.

once you have that done you will need to get 24v trim so the boat will trim fast enough and not role over. if your running a stock outboard pump you may want to try 36v or swap to a mercuriser type pump.

i got the carbon fiber plate on ebay

Casey G, I have a Burden unit like yours also. Do you use a switch on the throttle initially(24v) then (12v) steering wheel switch, or?
the limit switch is in line with both my trim computer and 24v on the wheel. when the switch is pushed it can not be trimmed with 24v. i run 12v on the other steering wheel switch and it stays live at all times.

ziemer

2fast4mom said:
Yeah you mean like this! (This is not mine; I took the pic at Jasper!!)
From what I can tell, the unit you pictured is just a delay box, and probably is combined with a limit switch like the one in Casey's boat. The one I showed will keep the pump off for a set time and then run for a set time and shut off. (off-on-off)

2fast4mom said:
...12V trim
I would change this first. It will be night and day different at 24V.

2fast4mom said:
...to save the lower unit from hitting the hyd ram cylinder I am guessing.
Does you lower NOT have the notch for the long trim ram? My 15" has the long ram, and my Titus case is notched, which allows me to trim completely under, with no stop bolt.

Between trimming 24V trim and getting the motor tucked all the way in, you'll notice a huge difference. When you upgrade to 24V, keep 2 switches on the wheel, one for 24V and one for 12V. Or if you do decide to go with a timer you wire 24V to the timer and keep 12V on the wheel. :wink

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I'm learning how much I DON'T know during this process!! Thanks to all!!

Jeff I DO have a Titus case and it DOES have the forward notch but it still looks like it will catch the bottom of the anode (I guess this should go away?) or the ram bottom. I will take a pic and post it. Then maybe someone can tell me if I have the long or short ram.

Some WERE running trim limit bolts at Jasper; but I am guessing they also had wedges or other means to increase the down tuck angle. I have photos.

And Casey where can I get the trim limit mechanical setup like you show?

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Jeff you were right that is a delay box only !!

So out to the warehouse I went, I have to correct my earlier statements:

1) The Titus "notch" DOES clear the ram and the U-shaped anode. Clears just fine. It was just an illusion that it wouldn't clear.

2) I took out the dumb "limit" bolt (a 9/16" head bolt, just on one side) after accidentally hitting it and hearing a huge "CRUNCH" when trimming down...I think it was part of the nut gouging. Anyway it's OUT and now I have full tuck.

3) I noticed the trim ram "rotates" just slightly at the finish of the tuck; I presume this is normal, as there are greased axles that come out 90 degrees from the ram?

4) Now I need 24V up, or a Mercruiser pump. In a way, I'd like to go Mercruiser because the one in my SS2000 runs actually FASTER (or so it seems) on 12V than the drag trim pump in my 02 runs on 24V!!

Thoughts?

ziemer

2fast4mom said:
Now I need 24V up, or a Mercruiser pump.
Both. :beer::beer: Before I switched mine out to the Mercruiser, I had my standard trim pump to 24V and it was about the same as my Mercruiser on 12V. But if you want it to launch the way you saw the guys at Jasper, you're gonna need 24 to the mercruiser style pump. :wink

2fast4mom said:
By the way....WHERE is the trim cylinder on this thing:
He's got the short ram. I think you can get away with no notch with the short drag ram.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Glenn Reynolds warned me briefly about changing out some kind of "valves" in the Mercruiser pump if I was going to use it with the single-ram 15" mid.

I don't know if this was done on my SS2000 or not nor do I know what it is or how to do it, I'd better find out!

Jeff do you know what this is? :idiot

ziemer

Glenn Reynolds warned me briefly about changing out some kind of "valves" in the Mercruiser pump if I was going to use it with the single-ram 15" mid.

I don't know if this was done on my SS2000 or not nor do I know what it is or how to do it, I'd better find out!

Jeff do you know what this is? :idiot
No, I'm not sure. I got mine a couple of years back from a guy up in Jasper. When I went to use it, the motor was shot, so I switched it with the good motor on my slow trim pump. I run mine on both 24V & 12V. Only thing I've done since is clean out the resevoir.

However, when I did that, I pulled both of them apart to see what the difference was between the two. From what I could tell, the lengths of each of the pickup tubes was really the only difference. They're not very complicated, just a couple of tubes with a small check ball in each.

SLOmofo

Not an expert butt was informed by one or three. An electronic timer is subject to the charge of the battery powering it. Difference in voltage changes time trim is on. More than one race lost because of this. They can and do stick ON. They can and do reset themselves, double trim. More than one has crashed because of this. Also it's one more thing to remember to reset.
Just something to think about.

KISS method

Galen Burden/ER on Byuboys made mine.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Slomo are you Gfinch in DRAG? This is getting confusing....:idiot

SLOmofo

Slomo are you Gfinch in DRAG? This is getting confusing....:idiot
No, I'm at work, in uniform.
Getting................?
Keep It Simple Stupid, see your not an idiot. :big grin

T'was good seeing you and the other two Left Coasters at Jasper. Hope you enjoyed seeing D.B. run with the Merc's. Well sort'a with.

:gone fishing

Casey G

An electronic timer is subject to the charge of the battery powering it. Difference in voltage changes time trim is on. More than one race lost because of this.
SLOmofo that is very true. that's why it's a good idea to run a few seconds of run time and let the limit switch stop it at the exact place every time. the battery voltage won't effect the delay enough to make that big of a difference. yes they can be very dangerous and should be paid close attention to.

4) Now I need 24V up, or a Mercruiser pump. In a way, I'd like to go Mercruiser because the one in my SS2000 runs actually FASTER (or so it seems) on 12V than the drag trim pump in my 02 runs on 24V!!
Lou you both, a mercuriser pump and 24v

Casey where can I get the trim limit mechanical setup like you show?
Galen

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
An electronic timer is subject to the charge of the battery powering it. Difference in voltage changes time trim is on. More than one race lost because of this.
True! And another thing, computers counting off fractions of seconds of uptrim have no feedback as to where the motor actually is. I have noticed on my other boats that the given time to trim to some point X will be longer when the boat is under max accelleration than when the motor is just hanging off the trailer!! I have seen this on my Grandsport; you can count "one thousand one, one thousand two" to neutral trim from full tuck when idling or on the trailer, but when mashing the pedal down, it might be up to one thousand three or more!

Thank you guys for the name...Galen Burden...where do I go and what is the device called?