XR-2001 changes

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Learned a lot at Jasper, it was great seeing everyone and checking out all the boats.

It appears as if one of the major changes made to the XR-2001 hull in 2001? 2004? was the stern design. The older 01's had what I'll refer to as the "V-stern" while the newer ones have more of what looks like a "Box stern"; the latter having the net effect of increasing the distance of the motor mounting flange to the pad edge (fore to aft). Here's two pics illustrating the difference.

"V-stern" :

"Box Stern" :

Note the patented Allison "skid planer" on the newer hull. It looks like you could achieve about the same effect by putting one of these on the older-style hull.

badbait

Lou, did you notice if those skid planers were butted up to the edge of the pad or back a little. Your photo really doesn't tell me for sure. If you needed a little more room you could always take a little material off the V so that you could run it the same hieght above the pad as they are on the new models. Those guys at Jasper were coming out of the hole without flopping down. They had there setups figured out.

props4u2

The skid planer is installed 1" behind the pad. On the new boats, it is installed with machine screws into an alum. backing plate.

Lou,
Sorry I missed seeing you in Jasper.

Lee

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Lee, sorry I missed you too!

Bill the specs for the planer are just as Lee stated, 1" to 1.5" aft of the pad bulkhead and 3" above the pad.

The distance is meant to allow the planer to ventilate forward as designed, according to Darris.

ALLISONMAN

lou there is just about nothing alike on the pre01xr's and 01 and later xr's they are completly different in just about all aspects!!!

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Well Bryan there were certainly more of the "new style" 01's at Jasper than the old-style, but there were a few including Chris Harrells, do you think the new ones will simply "walk away" from the older ones or if set up right are the older ones still competitive?

ALLISONMAN

in most classes the newer ones are a tenth quicker than the older ones but in the faster classes the old ones are a little easier to drive and take a set with gobs of hp better than the newer ones as the newer ones clean up a lot quicker!!!!! if you are gonna run superstock then you would want a newer hull but in unlimited i would probably want an older hull!!! I can tell you this mine is a handfull in pro gas trim!!!! the last 1/4 of track i can feel and hear the hull touch every now and then and running a 114-117 in pro gas trim it gets ya attention real quick!!!

ALLISONMAN

you also dont want the plates or jackplate plates touching the back of the hull as this creates a vacuum and will hold the back of your boat down when launching!!! it needs to have some space to release from the water!!!

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
you also dont want the plates or jackplate plates touching the back of the hull as this creates a vacuum and will hold the back of your boat down when launching!!! it needs to have some space to release from the water!!!
This is one of three patent claims for Darris' skidplaner. The analogy is that of an upside-down drinking glass in a bucket of water. When you pull up on it, the vacuum (created by atmospheric pressure) wants to resist it coming up. That's what a boat coming out the hole is trying to do, in part. The distance between the skidplaner and the back of the hull is meant to relieve this, just as Bryan has stated.

Lou

PS Bryan, thanks for your observations on old vs new XR hulls!!!

Casey G

Brain when you run PG do you swap to a small case? if not, there's your handling problem. at speeds over 110 or so a small case makes a big difference in handling.

I've owned and driven both and feel the newer hulls drive and handle better regardless of power.

Casey G

Lou don't get me wrong the older style hulls are still kick *** boats, drive great and are fast as hell. either one can and do win on any given day. it's just my opinion that the newer ones drive a little better

p.s I don't run that center skid plate. I only run the two smaller outside plates and a boxed up jackplate

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
Well I am fixin to change some stuff and try to wring out what I can from this '96! :beer:

Casey since you've had both hulls, what are the best things I can do, in technique and/or rigging, to come out of the hole without bow rise or flopping around?

Those boats at Jasper come out with a big rooster but the bows stay put!! They lift further downtrack but the takeoffs from idle are just clean. I watched them all through binoculars and was amazed at the consistency.

ALLISONMAN

i run a big case (need $$$$ for a small one) but talking with glenn his does the exact thing with a small one but we have done some work to the bottoms and i am not a progas boat!! i still have a 15 mid, big case and mod prod motor i just run pg for fun but happen to do pretty good!!!( i came in 2nd in wetempka's odba race and was side by side with stovall this past weekend in tabor city)

the boat dont drive bad its just on that edge!!!! lol of course that makes it exciting!!!!!

Last edited:

Casey G

Lou I know you've told us about your set-up before, but refresh our memories. I will say that the two biggest things are a motor that does not tuck in far enough and fast trim. I've seen so many boats that are still running the trim pin bolt on a 15" that keeps there gearcase from hitting the long ram.

mod prod motor
me to, actually I'm still running stock blocks!

Casey G

No, I only got the boat and mid, since I already had plenty of motors. Tray Archer kept the two powerheads and gearcase and Marty Logan got the other mid and engine cowl. Tray and I split up all the rest.