wizards vs reynolds pistons ?

D.Ally

I have used Wizards with my last couple rebuilds on my motors , Been happy with them ,,but im reslugging a 95 260 for a spare to sit on the shelf and was just curious if anyone has ran reynolds racing Brand pistons ? I do see there side pinned.

I did a search on my sites and havnt seen anything about them ie good /bad ?

Dave

Last edited:

RBT

I would love to know, I went back to merc pistons a few years ago.

RedAllison

Drop Hotprop a PM here, if anyone knows it's Jeff since he put the engines together for Glenn for so many years.

Gotta think if Glenn puts his name on it and used them in his raceboats over the years, his success and reputation for "gettin it done" leaves NOTHING to be questioned! :wink
RA

Myron

In my opinion this is the weak link in the Hi-Perf motors. All we have for pistons is for the most part is Weisco, who makes Wizzards, Mercury, and Reynolds. The problem with Wizzards and Mercury pistons is the locating pin is made of soft material so they can bend it at the bottom, the problem with the pin being soft is the ring wears thru the pin. The ones Glenn had made use a bigger pin and is longer, I do not know anything about those. I just got my 280 block back from Ruck, and trying to decide what to do. More than likely I will send the pistons to John Marles to have him pin and weld. What we need is a piston with a dykes ring like the old 2.4's where the ends of the ring covered the pin.All I know is the parts for the hi-perf motors to rebuild are out of this world, and I might just put a 225 pro max back on.

RBT

Well I am still buying mercs.....
I also don't think much of welding in the pin. Frankly if your pin is loose, I am sure your piston has collapsed beyond what I would consider serviceable.

Dave Hensley

I have had several pins done by John. He normally converts side pins to top pins. He uses a hard pin, a little larger id and press fits it into the piston and caps it with weld and it stays put.. He does very good work. As in all high performance work there will be an uh oh now and then and in our small community news travels fast. Again, I personally have not had any issues. RBT brings up a good point. For 10k rpm motors piston to wall clearance is a player in ring/locating pin/cylinder plating life. I have been shocked at the amount Merc pistons with EXTREMELY low hours collapse. Pulled a 280 down that was less than 80 hours, fishing boat duty, and find pistons that are more than .003" smaller than minimum od. Plating killed at TDC where piston rocked and spalled it off on thrust side. Just wondering how many locating pin woes start out because these pistons are just poor, and you are too after buying them. Very rarely do I find pistons during 100 hour teardowns that I would stick back in. Did not have that problem with the old Mahles.

D.Ally

Well i talked to Glenn and he said he has seen alot of problems with both kinds of pistons , merc, wiz , Got boxs of bad ones and went back to all side staked sets but are 470 grams in weight i think wizards are 440 g i dont know what the mercs weigh .
I pm d Hotprop to see if hes got any answers on them .

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I'm the one with the 280 that had Marles top pin them. One came out at my first day of the 2007 Allison rally after driving 2500 miles to get there and the damage done was close to 10 large.

4 people on Watts Bar have had Marles top pins come out, and one other that I know of who no longer owns an Allison near Chattanooga.

I don't make the news; I just report it.

Dave Hensley

I'm the one with the 280 that had Marles top pin them. One came out at my first day of the 2007 Allison rally after driving 2500 miles to get there and the damage done was close to 10 large.

4 people on Watts Bar have had Marles top pins come out, and one other that I know of who no longer owns an Allison near Chattanooga.

I don't make the news; I just report it.
Must be something in that Tennessee River water.

RBT

Well i talked to Glenn and he said he has seen alot of problems with both kinds of pistons , merc, wiz , Got boxs of bad ones and went back to all side staked sets but are 470 grams in weight i think wizards are 440 g i dont know what the mercs weigh .
I pm d Hotprop to see if hes got any answers on them .
There was an experience I don't care to repeat!

RBT

I have never had a pin failure, I also believe that I have more hp than 99.9% of consumers. Currently on my bench I have a lot of pistons, none have pin problems.
The experience I don't care to repeat is the "education" I got.

SLOmofo

Now be aware these are Wisco OMC pistons that were also finger ported.

This is one of many pins that I have had come out. This one more then likely cost my wife and I a WON Bass team championship at Shasta Lake years ago. It was after this I had the next three sets of pistons top pinned.

The first set I sent back because the weld where the EDM penetrated leaked. I found it when cleaning the piston before assembly. Using air pressure to dry the piston, I noticed bubbles coming out the old pin hole.

This one I caught in the act.

Note the area on the side of the piston where the pin is. It's filed down a little because I found the cylinder wall scored directly where the pin was. When the pin is pressed into the piston the aluminum pushes out.
You can also see that the pin was moving at some point when the piston grew and the pin was still cold and still small?

I remember talking to Al Stoker about the pin problem and he said Chrysler OB's used a roll pin and he had never seen one come out. Neither Dave or Al have had pin problems. The pistons in the original 3.3 build were out of one of his drag engines and the pins still were good when the engine was torn down.

Myron

all of these things are why I do not know if I want to keep running a 280, Mine is a 7500 motor and have had side pins comes out, and rings eat thru the pin on a Wizzard, there has to be a better way around this

catfish123

I've never heard of many problems with Wizard top-pinned pistons. Now I guess I have something else to worry about other than not flipping my boat over again this year.

2fast4mom

Staff member
Supporting Member
I've run 260's with Wizard top pinned pistons and never had a problem; I haven't heard of any problems with them either.

Stock Mercury top-pinned pistons are fine too from my experience; I've run 280's with them and never had an issue, and one of them had the limiter adjusted to 8400.

XXXR2001

The only motor with Wizard pistons that's ever impressed me was spraying about 2-300hp of nitrous. Have seen guys switch from Mercury to Wizards and their motors never seemed to run the same. Don't know why. btw, I referring to race boats, not recreational motors.

RBT

The only motor with Wizard pistons that's ever impressed me was spraying about 2-300hp of nitrous. Have seen guys switch from Mercury to Wizards and their motors never seemed to run the same. Don't know why. btw, I referring to race boats, not recreational motors.
Yup, Dyno proven.