Who would actually buy a new comsumer 200XS Merc if they built one ?

ally2dextreme

Yes , I am aware they have used an approximate 10% fudge factor or variance which supports the numbers above . And why I said the Math doesn't add up to me ,Since all mercury engines seem to be rated like this , and benefit from this "extra" horsepower is what leads me to believe it will not run with a 225 or a Bridgeport, it will run pretty much like any "200" with a raised limiter . And why I said "I would have the performance expectations of a 200, after all it is rated as a 200 for a reason "
One more try....2.4 =240hp at flywheel....2.5 200,xs= 230 at prop...even if the 200 is a tad bit slower on top id much much rather have the reliability and have the gas mileage of the 200...

bigtis

well fellas it goes like this.......... lol......
the 200xs gen2 engine is a phenominal engine...... Hensley is old and slow, so don't listen to his opinion on this topic lol.
seriously though the 200xs that I had was STRONG!!!!!!!! boat was capable of 10mpg as well. I didn't mod it in any way, and did have a few small problems with it,
even though the engine wasn't covered with a warranty I had two problems and mercury ate the repair cost.
Todd at evolution fixed an injector issue and had mercury eat it for me. I later had a factory engine harness failure and mercury ate the parts but not the labor.
other then that the motor was just down right impressive for what it was. I had the factory 7K rev and regret not sending the ecu off and having the rev pulled everytime I think of that engine.
I never ran a prop that the engine couldn't put on the rev and I ran 30's on 1.78's and 1.75's. my xb03 could fish lite loaded low to mid 90's. never really had a gps all the time but im sure the boat went 100.
the same wheel I ran then, on my current xb03 225x powered package the boat runs 99-100 on the rev setup to run. the 200xs felt stronger then my 225x. both the boats im using for comparrisons were xb03's
with Allison blueprinted bottoms. both boat bottoms were perfect.

now, question at hand................
I am putting together a 300xs with carbon 300x cowl,skirt, and pan. taylor 15" mid 3l top 2.5 lower unit setup. Todd is putting me together a 1.62 big case and a 1.62 xr6.
SHOULD be interesting lol. My main reasoning for this project is because im finally financially capable of setting me up a basser to keep for the long haul. I want an opti, Period.
Im not concerned with the price of fuel as much as I don't like worrying if I have enough fuel. I damn sure don't like having more fuel then I need cause then I got extra weight.
why carry around 30 gallons if all ya need is 10? that's like 140 lbs out the boat.

NOW, if the 200xs was readily available with a warranty then that's probably the route I would have taken. I went back and forth on todd so much because I really wanted a CLEAN
setup. the 300xs stock looks like panda compared to a 200xsROS. of course the 300xs factory warranty is hard to pass up, and there's a lot of 300xs's on the water vs. the 200xsROS.

of course it isn't exactly a 280 now but the dang engine is impressive. I would really like to have spun it closer to 9K. I paid 15,800 in 2010.
18K out the door with a warranty and id probably have to sell my 300xs. that is of course my opinion as of now because that bad boy isn't on my boat yet so it's not a 110 xb03 just yet.
im thinking it should fish 105.

if someone were to setup the 200xs on an xb02 with a good bottom, good prop, good gearcase, and some nuts I don't see 100-105 fishable a problem, and 115 shouldn't be too hard to
accomplish setup for mph

whipper

the 200xs gen2 engine is a phenominal engine...... Hensley is old and slow, so don't listen to his opinion on this topic lol.
seriously though the 200xs that I had was STRONG!!!!!!!! boat was capable of 10mpg as well. I didn't mod it in any way, and did have a few small problems with it,
even though the engine wasn't covered with a warranty I had two problems and mercury ate the repair cost.
Todd at evolution fixed an injector issue and had mercury eat it for me. I later had a factory engine harness failure and mercury ate the parts but not the labor.
other then that the motor was just down right impressive for what it was. I had the factory 7K rev and regret not sending the ecu off and having the rev pulled everytime I think of that engine.
I never ran a prop that the engine couldn't put on the rev and I ran 30's on 1.78's and 1.75's. my xb03 could fish lite loaded low to mid 90's. never really had a gps all the time but im sure the boat went 100.
the same wheel I ran then, on my current xb03 225x powered package the boat runs 99-100 on the rev setup to run. the 200xs felt stronger then my 225x. both the boats im using for comparrisons were xb03's

I am putting together a 300xs with carbon 300x cowl,skirt, and pan. taylor 15" mid 3l top 2.5 lower unit setup. Todd is putting me together a 1.62 big case and a 1.62 xr6.
SHOULD be interesting lol. My main reasoning for this project is because im finally financially capable of setting me up a basser to keep for the long haul. I want an opti, Period.
Im not concerned with the price of fuel as much as I don't like worrying if I have enough fuel. I damn sure don't like having more fuel then I need cause then I got extra weight.
why carry around 30 gallons if all ya need is 10? that's like 140 lbs out the boat.

NOW, if the 200xs was readily available with a warranty then that's probably the route I would have taken. I went back and forth on todd so much because I really wanted a CLEAN
setup. the 300xs stock looks like panda compared to a 200xsROS. of course the 300xs factory warranty is hard to pass up, and there's a lot of 300xs's on the water vs. the 200xsROS.

of course it isn't exactly a 280 now but the dang engine is impressive. I would really like to have spun it closer to 9K. I paid 15,800 in 2010.
18K out the door with a warranty and id probably have to sell my 300xs. that is of course my opinion as of now because that bad boy isn't on my boat yet so it's not a 110 xb03 just yet.

if someone were to setup the 200xs on an xb02 with a good bottom, good prop, good gearcase, and some nuts I don't see 100-105 fishable a problem, and 115 shouldn't be too hard to
accomplish setup for mph

SWEEEEETTT!! 435lb 300xs right there now were talking! Thats what merc needs to make for 17000. with warranty. Best combo out there right now. the 200xs sure sounds nice but there are still alot of 225 promax,s for sale with new rebuilds good for another 1000hrs for 5 and 6 grand that will hang with the 200xs. For 6500-7500 you get a 15 inch 225PM a few mods well over 250hp . 10 grand buys alot of gas!! thats my take on it anyways. Merc needs to make a 240XS x 10% 264 at the propshaft for the same price as the 200xs and they would fly off the shelf faster then they could make them.

bigtis

My application is different. I need a 60amp alternator cause of the sound system. Load the boat down with people, beer, tackle then make a 200+ mile trip to the coast and back. Gets old quick having to stash gas.

Now I would slap myself for wanting something like that on my 1120lb ready for fuel and driver xb02. I like to hear the engine in that boat. In my 03 I like to hear the radio and my passengers while cruising. 70mph just cruising and we gotta hear skynerd over the engine.

Dave Hensley

accomplish setup for mph
Well there you have it guys. The answer to all our issues straight from the third leading Mercury/Allison expert in the world....right behind Bill Gohr and Louie!!!!! Darris is in fourth place now.:LMAO::LMAO:

Lotus 50

I should have bought Mr Henley's 200XS, but I didn't have enough US money at the time. Now I do, but it's so tempting to convert my savings account to $Cdn with today's exchange rate. I guess I'll give it a year to see what happens.

Dave Hensley

Unlike Tis my 200XS ROS gen2 had a soft 6750 limiter. I sat on the limiter with a 30" Hydromotive. Things just must be faster and turn more rpm's in that black water in Louisiana. Having to run the big wheel just made it lazy out of the hole. Even on a 590 pound XR2001 RR. 102 on the gps was it. Now it would sit there and run all day at that speed but that was it. Sipped the fuel. Not a race motor. My info is they puke pistons at 8000.

bigtis

Yeah mike driver has my old one. I actually tried to get in touch with him before I bought my 300xs to shortshaft to see how the engine was doing.

Dave, lol I was waiting for your experience with it lol. 7k rev on that motor makes it useless on a lite boat application. Put a gen 2 on an xb03 or your xtb21 and you'll be like DAMN!!!!!

GotMyAlly

I'd probably not be a buyer at 200 horsies. I want big block torque on my XB21 fishin' bote. And if I were to buy a 01/02 play boat, I'd want 260/280/300 HP on it.......
200XS is a tweener size in my opinion. Not as much torque as the big heavy optis, and not as much hp as the old 2.5's. They'd have to bump the power to get my attention.

Now if I had an XB03 with an old wore out 150 or 200, it would definitely be an upgrade I'd consider. But I'd have a hard time dropping back from a 225 promax too I suspect.

Dave Hensley

Yeah mike driver has my old one. I actually tried to get in touch with him before I bought my 300xs to shortshaft to see how the engine was doing.

Dave, lol I was waiting for your experience with it lol. 7k rev on that motor makes it useless on a lite boat application. Put a gen 2 on an xb03 or your xtb21 and you'll be like DAMN!!!!!
XTB 21 runs 92 with 225ProMax ready to fish on the limiter. It is getting a 15" 250 ProXS Sport.

skewby

dave you gonna let me drive the xtb when you get ss big block on it? if so let me know when and i'm bringing a helmet, the 03 and prosport have spoiled me. lol

Dave Hensley

Don't worry about a little wind in your face......Who have you got in the first playoff game? Anyway, I am going Fast Eddie hunting!!!!

skewby

we play at home against happy valley friday.you probably have ed covered now on top end, he just might get you out of the hole. everybody knows ed can't drive with a bug lite in his hand. lol