Who would actually buy a new comsumer 200XS Merc if they built one ?

22R

If the criteria was met for a new 2.5 Liter low emission outboard like stated with solid mounts, sportmaster, warranty, etc for round 14-16K who would actually buy one ?
I would barring some life event between now and then. Just wondering cause everyone seems to want one but the demand may dry up when down payments are asked for.

22R

Lotus 50

Just me I guess. I hope enough people show interest.

From Jaco's web site

200 XS ROS 15″ OFFSHORE RACE $20,500
ORDER PERIOD FOR OPTIMAX 200 XS ROS 15″ OFFSHORE RACE IS OCT. 1st THRU NOV. 13th FOR APR. 1st DELIVERY.
$6,000 NON-REFUNDABLE DEPOSIT WITH ORDER

From Mercury web site:

The 200XS ROS has established a new benchmark in durability stretching the rebuild schedule from every race to multiple races or up to 25 hours prior to inspection

Compact 2.5 Liter V-6 powerhead spins 7000 rpm for unmatched acceleration and top-end speed

Sand cast 15” mid-section with heavy-duty single ram swivel clamp bracket assembly was designed for the abuse that is comes in the harsh duty cycles of offshore racing.

ally2dextreme

A NEW 200 would perform better than the old 2.4 Bridgeport... There will be no new hot rod lightweight motors if this doesn't work

Lotus 50

I'd expect a new 200 should be good for 90 on my SS2000. If a bass boat passed me at that speed, I could live with that. Range is the main thing. Range when I run the big nearby lake (279 sq miles) and range when I run the river/canal/lock system. As it turns out, I can't do the latter. No premium fuel on the water. No question fuel is cheap compared to a motor, and I won't pay 20K for a 200.

bassracr

I will respectfully disagree with some claims on this post and other claims seen elsewhere on this engine. A 200 is a 200 . It's not going to run like a 225 or or a Bridgeport that is not completely worn out . I learned this the hard way when I bought my 150 promax years ago and listened to all the claims about all the low End the 2.5 had compared to my 2.4 Bridgeport and Probably wouldn't notice a big difference out of the hole ,and shouldn't lose much up top with the 6750 limiter and blah blah blah. Once I got the motor I quickly found out it was all a bunch of hype and I was sorely disappointed with the performance compared to what I was used to .,there was simply no comparison .now I'm sure this is a cool little motor with the short shaft ,sport master ,lightweight cowl ,raised Limiter awesome fuel economy . All very similar to my 150 promax that I bought for $7000 just With a 200 hp power head that gets better fuel economy and cost $20,500. This motor has its place because unfortunately we can't really get what we want .and I'm sure most people would be very pleased with it . But I would have the performance expectations of a 200 hp engine . After all it is rated at 200 hp for a reason . An earlier poster has a very valid question ...are you going to be Happy running slower if you've got a 225 pro max or other hp motor? And pay a lot of money to do so? It's hard to go backwards when one of the main reasons why we own these boats is to go fast. I am not trying to be negative I hope they build this motor for those who want it . I just hope all have reasonable expectations before spending their money

Last edited:

ally2dextreme

I will respectfully disagree with some claims on this post . A 200 is a 200 . It's not going to run like a 225 or or a Bridgeport that is not completely worn out . I learned this the hard way when I bought my 150 promax years ago and listened to all the claims about all the low End the 2.5 had compared to my 2.4 Bridgeport and Probably wouldn't notice a big difference out of the hole ,and shouldn't lose much up top with the 6750 limiter and blah blah blah. Once I got the motor I quickly found out it was all a bunch of hype and I was sorely disappointed with the performance compared to what I was used to .,there was simply no comparison .now I'm sure this is a cool little motor with the short shaft ,sport master ,lightweight cowl ,raised Limiter awesome fuel economy . All very similar to my 150 promax that I bought for $7000 just With a 200 hp power head that gets better fuel economy and cost $20,500. This motor has its place because unfortunately we can't really get what we want .and I'm sure most people would be very pleased with it . But I would have the performance expectations of a 200 hp engine . After all it is rated at 200 hp for a reason . An earlier poster has a very valid question ...are you going to be Happy running slower if you've got a 225 pro max or other hp motor? And pay a lot of money to do so? It's hard to go backwards when one of the main reasons why we own these boats is to go fast. I am not trying to be negative I hope they build this motor for those who want it . I just hope all have reasonable expectations before spending their money
the motor has dynoed 240hp,that's what a 2.4 Bridgeport makes,it would run like a 225 promax,not a 150 and hopefully be less than $18000

xb03fs

the motor has dynoed 240hp,that's what a 2.4 Bridgeport makes,it would run like a 225 promax,not a 150 and hopefully be less than $18000
If they don't de tune to meet regulations for a consumer

bassracr

image.png
I wasn't trying to insinuate it would run like my 150 . I was comparing the hype surrounding the new engines that can lead to disappointment . I have had my boat for long enough to have many different engines on it ,I have had a healthy 225 promax on the back of my boat and a healthy 2.4 Bridgeport . The Bridgeport outperformed the 225 in every way .I would compare the performance of the Bridgeport to being very similar to my 2.5 L 260 race engine . I could run right with the 2.5 I 260's when they first came out . I am confident if someone buys this motor expecting it to run like a Bridgeport that actually had one is in for disappointment (if they are more interested in performance than fuel economy) . Hopefully they will build it and we can all find out how they compare. I think Randy tisdale purchasd one of these and has surely had enough boat and engine combinations to give it a good comparative analysis . Maybe he will chime in and give some comparisons to previous engines.

Last edited:

xb03fs

240 at propshaft or flywheel is a big difference also

ally2dextreme

View attachment 9823
I wasn't trying to insinuate it would run like my 150 . I was comparing the hype surrounding the new engines that can lead to disappointment . I have had my boat for long enough to have many different engines on it ,I have had a healthy 225 promax on the back of my boat and a healthy 2.4 Bridgeport . The Bridgeport outperformed the 225 in every way .I would compare the performance of the Bridgeport to being very similar to my 2.5 L 260 race engine . I could run right with the 2.5 I 260's when they first came out . I am confident if someone buys this motor expecting it to run like a Bridgeport that actually had one is in for disappointment (if they are more interested in performance than fuel economy) . Hopefully they will build it and we can all find out how they compare. I think Randy tisdale purchasd one of these and has surely had enough boat and engine combinations to give it a good comparative analysis . Maybe he will chime in and give some comparisons to previous engines.
Did you have a bone stock 2.4 ,no heads stock from the factory?

bassracr

I started out with a bone stock Bridgeport. Later 32cc heads reworked analog box. Ruck porting. I bought in to a lot of articles and claims back then chasing more speed,and ultimately spent a good deal of money to get very little return for the investment .lesson learned. Those motors ran well from the factory and it is easy to spend a lot for very little gains. So yes ,I had a bone stock Bridgeport and spent a good deal of time with that on there as a stock engine .I hope they do make a green motor that runs like that, but I don't see that happening with a 200 decal on the cowling. And I am confused why they would advertise 200 prop shaft horsepower on the Mercury website but you say it will be 240 at the prop shaft ? Wouldn't that need to make roughly 265 at the crank? Why would they call it a 200? I'm not trying to start a debate, but it just doesn't add up to me. performance claims seem like they get exaggerated and take on a life of their own. I really truly do hope you are right . I hope they make a run of them and we can see some real world comparisons with motors of yesterday. If they end up living up to their claims I think they will sell a good number of them .

ally2dextreme

I started out with a bone stock Bridgeport. Later 32cc heads reworked analog box. Ruck porting. I bought in to a lot of articles and claims back then chasing more speed,and ultimately spent a good deal of money to get very little return for the investment .lesson learned. Those motors ran well from the factory and it is easy to spend a lot for very little gains. So yes ,I had a bone stock Bridgeport and spent a good deal of time with that on there as a stock engine .I hope they do make a green motor that runs like that, but I don't see that happening with a 200 decal on the cowling. And I am confused why they would advertise 200 prop shaft horsepower on the Mercury website but you say it will be 240 at the prop shaft ? Wouldn't that need to make roughly 265 at the crank? Why would they call it a 200? I'm not trying to start a debate, but it just doesn't add up to me. performance claims seem like they get exaggerated and take on a life of their own. I really truly do hope you are right . I hope they make a run of them and we can see some real world comparisons with motors of yesterday. If they end up living up to their claims I think they will sell a good number of them .
Are you aware the 300x does over 330hp at the prop? The 225x over 240?...its marketing...

ally2dextreme

I hope it does work and they can be modified to run even better , we are all in the same boat , no more blocks or parts = no more fun .my opinion is that a 200 won't satisfy most the every day Allison Owner .
Hers way more 225 allison owners than 260s.. Most are happy with 90 mph...having crazy gas millage to boot would be fantastic

xb03fs

I'm torn between the good handling and idea of a 200 xs and being able to hit the same speed with ease with a 250xs on my xb21. Just don't know. I also think the 200 xs would be more frugal with the gas.

I don't know which would be quicker to 85 with both set to run 85 as most are setup to run 93/95 with a 250xs.

Dave Hensley

If I had an XB21 there would be about .5 milliseconds of decision making time between a "new" 200 and a 250 Pro XS Sport. 2.5 liters on that boat just won't cut it if you want holeshot and economy at high 80's maybe low 90's. What hasn't been discussed is that $20,500 200 XS ROS has no warranty. Period. I had one. On a Xr2001. Ran good but isn't impressive. The original conversation on a "new" 200 between myself and Darris was not to make the ROS more available. It was for Merc to package a 200 XS with choice of Sportmaster 1.75 or 1.87, solid mounts and a warranty. 435 pounds with option of 15" model as whipped topping. $15,000 was targeted as a marketable price. The 200 XS ROS is there if you want it. I can't justify it personally. And I would not expect to be asked for a down payment.

How many would be sold is a mystery. If you look at the number of 18-21 foot boats out there that need re-powering that can't handle a 505 pound motor would be a good indication. Mercury is really pushing the 4-stroke and it is making gains in HP and loss in weight. That might be their offering as an "answer" to the need. 455 pound 150 hp 4 stroke with 6 years (3-years of that was $395 3year extended) warranty top to bottom with rebate offered in October plus sales tax was $11,300 at Jaco's.

Last edited:

bassracr

Are you aware the 300x does over 330hp at the prop? The 225x over 240?...its marketing...
Yes , I am aware they have used an approximate 10% fudge factor or variance which supports the numbers above . And why I said the Math doesn't add up to me ,Since all mercury engines seem to be rated like this , and benefit from this "extra" horsepower is what leads me to believe it will not run with a 225 or a Bridgeport, it will run pretty much like any "200" with a raised limiter . And why I said "I would have the performance expectations of a 200, after all it is rated as a 200 for a reason "