What happens if you have too much setback?

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Currently running 2 jack plates for a total of 12.5" on my XB2002 / 225x. I got a deal on a 14" Hydro Dynamics plate a while ago but have not tried it yet. I want to get rid of the 2 plates but now my boat is running so good I hate to mess with it.

Is it worth the effort to try the 14" or should I just sell it or trade for good 12"? It will only be 1.5" more. Will I even notice a difference?

So far the boat runs good with almost every prop I have tried. Some are slightly better in certain areas.

I have ran:

28 knob cut - I think my favorite so far.
30 Spinelli DR4 that was knocked down to a 29. Maybe my new favorite too. Boat feels light at any speed.
27 Spinelli DR4 - fun and easy to drive.
28 small chopper- slips a bit in the midrange comes on real good on the big end.
28 offshore cut chopper. Great hole shot, very strong acceleration. Pulls great on the big end. It won't pick up the boat cruisin 30 -60. Kind of unusual.
30 Hoss Triton one. Awesome from 70 up.
25.5 Hydromotive. Seemed pretty good all around. I just got to run it for a short run. It ran faster that I expected and handled real good. Next year I need to try a couple of these with a little more pitch.
28 Performer 4 blade BC. Way too much prop for my little motor. Locks up tight by 30 mph.

Random picture

whipper

Cary weight better, maybe more top speed with weight only. Better rough water running = more. Quicker trim response seen at bow ,better acceleration, slower with more weight forward. Can load stuff more aft to compensate.= less Have to really try as every boat/setup might be a little different. Darris explains it a little better in the red book.:big grin i go back and forth. Cant ever decide. Some times I like 14 some times 10. I would like 10 better with 260+. More with less HP would be the way I would say. So 225 or less more setback would probably be best.

LakeAnna

Looks good in the picture there! What kind of rpm are you turning with your X? I guess you've had the limiter moved up or no?
It's almost winter and getting ready to get cold so my vote would be to switch over to the new Hydro plate.

whipper

I just went threw the Allison owners group of all the guys with 225,s on there XB02,s They are all running 12 or less not more than you have. the best numbered top speed boats on there are running 12 so I would say leave it. No point in reinventing the wheel. If 14 was better other guys would be running that. http://allisonowners.com/xb2002.html Sell the 14 and buy one thats a 12. Generally more is for ultimate top speed 1 or 2 more and rough water ride I find is a little better also with more. A little better leverage when carrying a load like passengers also. Less was way quicker though and boat handling is better.

Last edited:

LakeAnna

James are you saying the boat handles better with less? I put a Allison 12 on mine and it's good to go.. I ran a 6 on the xr2002

whipper

James are you saying the boat handles better with less? I put a Allison 12 on mine and it's good to go.. I ran a 6 on the xr2002
Only when im solo or two up. Any more weight than that i liked more setback for extra leverage. I went from 14 to 12 to 10 now. I like 10 alot except when loaded down. way quicker solo I feel.

Bobalouie

I just went threw the Allison owners group of all the guys with 225,s on there XB02,s They are all running 12 or less not more than you have. the best numbered top speed boats on there are running 12 so I would say leave it. No point in reinventing the wheel. If 14 was better other guys would be running that. http://allisonowners.com/xb2002.html Sell the 14 and buy one thats a 12. Generally more is for ultimate top speed 1 or 2 more and rough water ride I find is a little better also with more. A little better leverage when carrying a load like passengers also. Less was way quicker though and boat handling is better.
But what is the weight of the driver? That can make a huge difference in how much setback = more speed or better handling. A 7" plate on my boat wouldnt lift the bow very good with me in it solo as compared to the 180 lb previous owner. I had to go to 10" to get the bow lift corrected.

There are all kinds of guys that are running 8-9" plates and smaller on XB02's with 260's and 280's, and I struggled with that for a long time as to why mine, which is more than likely much lighter than theirs, would need more setback. It finally occured to me that the weight of the driver and whether or not they have a troller on the front is more than likely what makes the difference. They probably dont weigh 300lbs like myself.

Point being that you cant pinpoint what someone should run simply by looking at what others run with the same hull and HP.

I say put the 14 on and try it. If it is too much setback the bow will become over responsive to trim. You can always go back to your 12" setup pretty easily.

skewby

hey dave, remember mike with the sweet 02 at the rally that was running big numbers. if i remember right i think he was running 14 or 15 inches of set back said he thinks its faster and handles better. call me tomorrow and i'll try to get in touch with him and give him your number so you can talk to him

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Skewby, I remember Mike. That was a sweet boat. I'll probably try the 14 since I have it here but 12 is probably plenty. Overall, it seems to do everything great the way it sits now. I just want to clean it up. I found that it goes pretty fast without trying so I don't need to squeeze that last couple mph out of it.

Bobalouie you got me beat by a little, I am around 240 and the trolling motor and other junk always stay in the boat. Most props carry the bow fine. I have found a couple that don't.

Last edited:

whipper

Bobalouie thats my point exactly. The more weight up front the more setback. And as you mentioned setup is key and might be different for every hull because of light layup etc...If your a bubba then the hull might want more setback even solo. Also the difference in side steer over center,small console or large console.

Ya never know till ya try it just like props:big grin. The weight of the motor and engine hight also come into play. Just to many variable to cover them all. Best thing is to try it. What does Darris say about top speed for his hulls? I think it was 6deg running attitude. So what ever it takes to get were he designed the hulls to shape to punch the best hole. The top and bottom shape are like a foil.If they are working together in harmony the safest fastest speeds with the power at hand will be reached. Not to many smaller boats have this in there design. only the really high end boats. Just look straight down the bow of any Allison. The deadrise matches the top deck. Sorta stealth like.:big grin

chad202

It just depends on what you do with the boat mostly. I knew I would be about fishing with mine so I went with more setback. I'm running a 14" rapid jack, drives and handles great. If I stricktly ran light and just used the boat for play, then I would come in to around 8-10". But I fish and when I go to my camp, I'll have 4 people in the boat so the extra setback is better for what I use the boat for.

suicidealli

It is a fine line between not enough and to much. I have found out it is a formula to achieve the best all around set up. On average I have found the less hp the further back is usually best for top speed. The higher hp you have you need to start working your way back in.
With a lot of hp my 02 ran the best top end at 9". I went to 10" and the boat slowed down. The 280 seems to like the 10". I would like to have tried the big motor at 8", and still might next year. Hard to believe 1" will make a difference but it can!!!!!!
Saying that I think you have enough power and think you are plenty far enough back.

I did way to much testing with my old SS. I prolly tried more set ups than anyone. 4-5 jack plates. 4-5 gear cases, 4 powerheads from 245 and up. Over 30 props.. The SS is a different animal tho, and I don't think it plays well 110+. The 2002 is a lot friendlier hull.

Anyway set up set up set up.. Set it up to the way you like to drive them.
JMO

Roy

whipper

I did when I went in and out and in again. The transom isn't flat so the more out ya go the lower the prop shaft becomes. re measure for the gauge and good to go. I had to also raise the motor on the mount bracket. All the way up now with 4 bolts holding the motor on.

chad202

Whip, I'm not only talking about adjusting the height to where it was. I'm talking higher than that. If at 10" even with the pad was the sweet spot, at 12" it shouldn't be. more like 1/4" to 3/8" above would be.

ssv1761982

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll just keep it at 12". I ain't trying to max it out, I like it good all around. It runs out nice on the big end and has a real good hole shot now for just a 225.