What happens if you have too much setback?

Jay Martin

From my experience more weight needs less setback, I run a 429 pound Yamaha 2.6 liter, I started at 12 and finally settled on 10.5, thats what my Detwiler 4 inch spacer and T-H Marine Hydraulic jackplate (6.5inch's) together measured but have since (last week) Upgraded to a 6inch Detwiler Hydraulic but have not ran yet.

The 2 inch difference equaled to poor holeshot and two MPH's less on top end.

Last edited:

Lotus 50

I'd start with 8 if it were mine. That's what Allison told me to try 10 years ago when I bought mine. 9.5" if you plan on running two people up front a lot.

aeneas

What power? How much did it weigh?
My engine is on the heavy side and not as powerful as most Allison SS are running...

Not decided if it will run with two people up front yet but I like the idea of a four seater.

Bobalouie

How much do you weigh aeneas? that will have an effect as well. My boat was set up with a 7" plate when I got it and it wouldnt lift the bow well with me driving it. I am about 120 lbs heavier than the guy I bought it from. I ended up with 10" to get it feeling right. So if you are a big guy, dont be afraid to move it back to get it to run and react to the trim button like it should.